During an energon storm, Waspinator's body is taken over by an old enemy.
- Absentee Actor: As in the last episode, Inferno is absent with no reason given.
- Bad Boss / Benevolent Boss: Megatron does both at once after the Predacons seize the Maximal Base. He credits Starscream for the success and rewards him with a promotion. When Terrorsaur complains, though, Megatron smashes Terrorsaur's face into the table.
- Batman Gambit: Dinobot was injured in battle. Optimus has him fake being more worse off than he actually is to sell the team's phony surrender plan. Dinobot's put in a CR Chamber and Optimus is chained up in the hold, which is exactly what was planned on for retaking the base.
- Call-Back: Blackarachnia knows that Starscream's story is a lie since she knows that he was actually killed by Galvatron after betraying him.
- Doing In the Wizard: Starscream's stint as a ghost in the original cartoon is now attributed to his immortal spark.
- Innocuously Important Episode:
- If retroactively. Next season will see the introduction of a Maximal experiment to recreate Starscream's indestructible spark.
- This is also the episode that concretely establishes the Maximals and Predacons as the descendants of the Autobots and Decepticons.
- Insistent Terminology: G1 Megatron is referred to only by his later name Galvatron throughout this episode, with no reference to him having been Megatron's namesake. This is likely done to avoid complicating things by introducing a separate Megatron into the story.
- Insult Backfire:Rattrap: You're nothin' but a no good, schemin' snake in the grass!
Starscream: Flattery will get you flattened, vermin.
- It's All About Me:Blackarachnia: You got blasted by Galvatron, after you betrayed him.
Starscream: Galvatron was a fool! I deserved to lead!
- Oh, Crap!: Rattrap and Cheetor sneak in towards the Predacon Base, only to get caught under lights and see numerous guns target them."RHINOX!"
- Orwellian Editor: According to Optimus, the Maximal Elders classified all records relating to Starscream.
- Properly Paranoid:
- Megatron is immediately suspicious of Starscream despite claims of pledging him his loyalty. While pleased with their victory, he orders Scorponok to keep an eye on Starscream just in case.
- When it's all over, Blackarachnia claims that she was only pretending to side with Starscream to learn his true intentions. Megatron observes she's smooth and that that doesn't inspire confidence.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: With the battle going badly, Optimus orders a full retreat from the base.Rattrap: Like this rat needs instructions on deserting a sinking ship.
- Shout-Out: Right before Starscream is blown up, Optimus quips "Hasta la vista, Starscream". He even dons a pair of Cool Shades before he flies off, just like the T-800.
- Skewed Priorities: Hiding out in the jungle after having to retreat from the base, Cheetor expresses certainty that one of the Predacons is in his room right now touching his stuff. Rattrap suggests he go tell someone that cares.
- The Starscream: Guess who? Blackarachnia also decides to take lessons in treachery from Starscream, only to betray him after he leaves her for the Maximals. Dinobot also refers to 'Screamer as the most notorious traitor in Cybertronian history.
- This Cannot Be!: Dinobot upon hearing Starscream has possessed Waspinator.