A Polish book series written by Jacek Piekara revolving around the adventures of Mordimer Madderdin, a Inquisitor of the Holy Office. In this universe, Christianity took a radical turn where Jesus Christ didn't die for our sins, but became a ruthless warlord that conquered the Roman Empire by force and since then, the world has been ruled by the Inquisitors. Mordimer is a rookie Inquisitor that just acquired his license to operate, considers himself a man of faith, a servant of God and a hammer of witches. Soon he becomes involved in political intrigue, conflict with the forces of darkness and the enemies of the Empire.
This book series contains examples of the following tropes:
- A Handful for an Eye: Mortimer's arsenal includes a supply of toxic powder to throw into his enemies' eyes.
- Alternate History: In this timeline, Jesus did not die on the cross, but rather conquered Rome by force and slaughtered every Jew in Jerusalem, becoming known as "The Butcher of Nazareth". All surviving Jews found refuge in either Persia or China. Islam never comes into existence because Muhammad is killed by a Christian death squad causing Muslims to scatter and as a direct result, the Persian Empire never falls and remains an enemy to the Romans.
- Burn the Witch!: Witches are routinely hunted down and executed by the Inquisitors.
- Church Militant: The main character and his organization unsurprisingly, but this universe's version of Christianity is a lot more militaristic as a religion teaching it's followers to be without mercy.
- Creepy Twins: Two of Mordimer's companions are a pair of crossbow-wielding bandit brothers with a taste for necrophilia.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Mordimer's mother was a witch that wanted to gain immense power from a dark magical tome and he became orphaned after she was arrested by the Inquisitors. One of them, Arnold Löwefell, takes him under his wing and raise him to become a Inquisitor himself.
- Dark Fantasy: For starters, the cycle is set In a World... where Jesus rather than dying for anyone's sins, descended from the cross, butchered all of Jerusalem and then proceed to conquer Roman Empire. Christianity is all about no mercy whatsoever, while being run by one of the bleakest Corrupt Churches ever described. Then there is heavily hinted issue of Demonic Invaders and eventual Cosmic Horror Reveal. Plus just the general Crapsack World nature of the setting.
- Dungeon Bypass: appears in one story - the team descends into haunted ruins, and after facing several deadly traps decides to use one of the twins' powers to create a shortcut - the effort is cripplingly painful and takes him out of commission for the rest of the story.
- Have You Seen My God?: After finishing His conquest, Jesus ascended into heaven and left Saint Peter in charge of the Roman Empire and never has been seen since.
- Meaningful Name: Death, one of Mortimer's henchmen was introdused as a prisoner starved almost to death by his captors - while he recovered his health, and is a decent warrior, he remained unsettlingly thin.
- Only Smart People May Pass: one cursed ruin is guarded by a set of riddles. Mortimer takes them instride, commenting on how this sort of thing is a part of his training.
- Orphaned Series: Narrowly averted. Piekara is infamous for never finishing his series and the Cycle was no exception, ending up suspended without further notice. Twice.
- Religion Is Magic:
- Rule of Symbolism: The Christian cross is slightly twisted as it's used to represent the cross being broken shortly after Jesus descended from it.