This Christmas is a 2007 American Christmas comedy-drama film produced by Rainforest Films and distributed by Screen Gems.
Written, produced and directed by Preston A. Whitmore II, it is a Christmas time story that centers on the Whitfield family, whose eldest has come home for the first time in four years.
The film is based on the 1970 Donny Hathaway song of the same name, which is covered by Chris Brown in the film. The Whitfield family overcome many trials and obstacles during the Christmas season.
This film contains examples of:
- All-Star Cast: Stars Loretta Devine, Delroy Lindo, Chris Brown, Idris Elba, Laz Alonso, Columbus Short, Regina King, Sharon Leal, Lauren London, Mekhi Phifer, Lupe Ontiveros and David Banner.
- Baby Of The Bunch: Michael Whitfield, who is affectionately referred to as "Baby" by the whole family.
- Big Beautiful Woman: Ma'Dere.
- Big Brother Worship: The Whitfield siblings all adore their oldest brother Quentin. When he first arrives home they all sit around an empty table watching him eat and listening to his travel stories.
- Chick Magnet: Baby, who is constantly texting or on the phone talking to various girls. He also receives extravagant Christmas gifts from no less than five different girls.
- Dating What Daddy Hates: Sandi, whose parents disapprove of her marriage to Claude, because he is black.
- Declaration of Protection: Various Whitfields say "I got you" as a way of showing loyalty.
- Disappeared Dad: Senior.
- Don't Tell Mama: Seeing as Senior left the family to chase his dreams of being a musician, Baby understandably doesn't want Ma'Dere to know he dreams of becoming a singer.
- Ethical Slut: Kelli.
- Family Business: Ma'Dere's dry-cleaners.
- Firemen Are Hot: Gerald.
- Fun Size: Mel, who is played by the 157cm tall Lauren London.
- Lonely at the Top: Kelli, a high-powered executive from New York refuses to settle down because she's focused on her career. Ma'Dere makes sure to remind her that "a career won't keep you warm at night".
- Love at First Sight: Claude told Sandi that the moment he laid eyes on her, he knew he would marry her.
- Manipulative Bastard: Malcolm, who tries to get Lisa to convince the family to sell the family business while cheating on her.
- Massive Numbered Siblings: 6. Even better, it's three boys and three girls. It also appears that the genders alternated with each birth.
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: Quentin seems disgusted by the idea of Mo lusting after his younger sister Lisa.
- Nuclear Family: Lisa and Malcolm's family.
- Promotion to Parent: Lisa apparently raised Claude, though it's not explained why.
- She Is All Grown Up: Gerald remembers Kelli as a "skinny little ninth grader with glasses and pigtails". When he sees her as an adult at the club, he immediately attracted to her.
- The Glorious War of Sisterly Rivalry: Lisa, the down-to-earth, realist wife and mother, in contrast to Kelli, a free-spirited career-driven single woman.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Kelli delivers one to Lisa when she finds out Lisa is aware of her husband's infidelity.
- Secret Relationship: Ma'dere and Joe have been hiding their relationship from the kids, though they all know. Quentin is the only one with a problem with it.
- Title Drop: Baby performs "This Christmas" at the Christmas morning service.
- The Woobie: Devean, who is constantly teased by the family.
- Those Two Bad Guys: Mo and Dude, the loan sharks chasing Quentin.