For starters, the Magi are wizards who know magic, and Herod has a goblin-like minion named Belial. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.
The film was directed by Antonio Navarro who was nominated for a Goya Awards for this film.
The 3 Wise Men provides examples of:
- Anachronism Stew: While fighting with the bandits, Melchior puts one of them in a Santa Claus suit, despite this being thousands of years before the Santa Claus mythos was invented.
- Blessed with Suck: Melchior's assistant, Midas, gets his iconic golden touch much to his dismay, as in this version he isn't even interested in gold at all.
- Chekhov's Gun: The gold Melchior received as a prize to pass his test later saves his life when Herod stabs him.
- Cowardly Lion: Melchior is this
- Disney Death: Melchior suffers one of these after king Herod stabs him, but he's saved by the gold he received after passing his test.
- Disney Villain Death: Belial, still in his monster form, falls from a cliff to meet his demise after being defeated.
- Eye Spy: Belial has the ability to do this, pulling one eye out of its socket and giving it to Tobias on a necklace to spy on the wise men. After Tobias makes his HeelFace Turn, he chucks Belial's eye into the air, which is carried away and dropped by a desert hawk.
- Faux Action Girl: Sarah is supposedly a tough warrior, but is constantly captured by the villains.
- Framing Device: The story is told by a bartender in modern-day New York to a boy named Jimmy.
- Meaningful Echo: "And remember, only a few believed David could have defeated Goliath" Later in the film, inspired by this advice, the three kings manage to kill Belial inspired by that quote.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!: Belial gets close to killing the main trio until King Herod screwed it by gloating about his victory and accidentally revealing himself.
- Piranha Problem: Belial has a bunch of pet piranhas, despite this being set before the Americas were discovered.
- Reality Warper: Belial can do this, as he changed one route with magic and made an illusion of a sea appear in the middle of a desert.
- One-Winged Angel: Belial transforms into a green beast in the climax of the movie.
- Secret Test of Character: The hidden temple does this to our protagonist in the trials. They passed.
- Star of Bethlehem: The star guides the three titular characters to the hidden temple and to Bethlehem.
- Taken for Granite: If you touch one of the statues in the third test, your body turns into stone. Melchior and Gaspar suffered from the curse, leaving Balthazar all alone. Although they recover after Balthazar passes the test.
- The Stoic: Balthazar is this at first, but later he opens up to his feelings.
- The Three Wise Men: They are the main protagonists of the film.
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: The bartender narrator.