Die Zombiejäger (german "The Zombiehunters") is a Swedish zombie-action-comedy film about how a sorcerer tries to create an army of zombies by infecting Gothenburg's milk supply. To solve the problem the mayor of Gothemburg hires a group a German mercenaries, Dieter, Heinrich and Ivo, specializing in zombiehunting, as they fear the Swedish army will cause too much destruction. While the germans kills zombies, the sorcerer tries to transform a Italian hitman into a "super-zombie". The dialog of the film is humorusly dubbed into German, with the Swedish characters speaking "Swenglish" and the film heavily uses Jitter Cam.
It's notable for being the second Swedish feature lengh zombiefilm ever made and the first to be released outside of Sweden (in the U.K. and Italy). There is also a Big Budget Beef-Up prequel: Dragonetti The Ruthless Contract Killer.
The following tropes apply to Die Zombiejäger:
- Action Girl: Ewa, Dieter's girlfriend and the female zombiehunter.
- Anti-Climax: The entire film builds to the final fight between the hunters and Dragonetti. Dragonetti is about to attack the hunters in a subway bypass, but is shot by Ewa from behind.
- Autobots, Rock Out!: Rock music of different genres accompanies several of the action scenes
- Blood Knight: Ivo.
- Bottomless Magazines: Averted. The characters are reloading all the time.
- The Cameo: The leadsinger of Swedish Death Metal band Dark Funeral plays a necrophile. The band also lent two song to the movie.
- Elite Zombie: Gets turned into one.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: Dragonetti on Ewa.
- Intentional Engrish for Funny: "If jo need heelp, kal mi: One, One, Two"
- Intrepid Reporter: Ingela and in lesser degree the dane, Knut Mortensen.
- Jitter Cam: Much of the film is incomprihensible due to the cuting, framing and rapid movement of the camera.
- I Love the Dead: The random necrophile the hunters pass by.
- Militaries Are Useless: The military is considered to coming with a to large risk for colleteral damage and are not brought in.
- Mission Briefing: The hunters are brifed about the situation during a cab ride.
- Oh, Crap!: When Ivo get's bitten, when Ingela and Roger are attacked by zombies and when the second wave of undead attack the hunters at the base of The Zombiemaster.
- One Riot Five Rangers: The plot of the movie.
- Orcus on His Throne: The lead villian, the Zombiemaster, spends the entire film at his base and escapes before the hunters can catch him.
- Reflective Eyes: Subverted, the reflection happens in Cool Shades, two times.
- Supervillain Lair: The tower of the Zombie Master.
- The Faceless: We never see what is beind the mask of the Zombie Master.
- Hunter of Monsters: The "Die Zombiejäger"-unit
- The Mafia: Dragonetti was a member.
- The Master: The Zombie Master
- Zombie Gait: Played straight.
- Zombie Infectee: Ivo is bitten towards the end of the film and much of the action revolves around getting him the cure.