The Calvinverse is an unofficial name for The 'Verse of Swing123 and garfieldodie's Calvin and Hobbes Fan Fics.note
All of them share some common traits: a tendency to rely on aliens and monsters, a lot of Genre Savviness, Lampshade Hanging, and general troperifficness. Oh, and a hefty dose of Adaptation Expansion and Script Fic.
The other main gimmick of the series is that they all pretend to be either an animated movie or a series on a children's network, and thus most Medium Awareness moments refer to those areas (though, confusingly, there are some references to fanfiction elements, such as chapters).
Calvin & Hobbes: The Series is the main focus of the canon, running for five seasons (with increasingly sparse updates). However, after garfieldodie took over uploading duty from Swing, he announced that Season 5 is the last season of The Series, but the verse will continue in a series of one-offs that will eventually bring everything to a close.
After The Series, garfieldodie proceeded to upload a rewritten version of Can You Imagine That?, including a coherent timeline for the series, as well as the long-awaited rewritten version of Calvin and Hobbes II: Lost at Sea. Calvin and Hobbes III: Double Trouble and Trouble Island have also been rewritten, with numerous in-between stories such as The Collective building up towards a climactic final confrontation in the completed rewritten version of Retro Chill.
- Calvin and Hobbes: The Movie (posted by Swing, 2004 - 2005)
- Can You Imagine That? (posted by garfieldodie, 2004 - 2005)
- Calvin and Hobbes II: Lost at Sea (posted by Swing, 2005)
- Attack of the Teacher Creature (posted by garfieldodie, 2005)
- Trouble Island (posted by garfieldodie, 2005)
- Calvin and Hobbes III: Double Trouble (posted by Swing, 2005)
- Retro Chill (a finale to the above two trilogies, and a collab; posted by garfieldodie, 2005 - 2006)
- Calvin & Hobbes: The Series (collab; posted by Swing, then garfieldodie starting with Season 5 Part 2, 2005 - 2013)
- Christmas with Calvin and Hobbes (posted by Swing, 2008)
- Prelude to a Season (posted by garfieldodie, 2011)
- Wildlife From Beyond (posted by garfieldodie, 2011)
- The Collective (posted by garfieldodie, 2014)
- The Final Grade (posted by garfieldodie, 2015)
- Escape to Nowhere (posted by garfieldodie, 2015)
- A Brainstorm Family Thanksgiving (posted by garfieldodie, 2016)
- The Luna Syndicate (collab; posted by garfieldodie, 2016)
- Which Way is Where?? (Takes place sometime between Calvin and Hobbes III: Double Trouble and Trouble Island. Not canon to the rewritten Calvinverse.)
- Calvin and Hobbes Get XTREME! (referenced in a scene from Trouble Island)
- Can You Imagine That? – "Now set immediately after the final strip. I like to imagine this as an experimental TV movie the network was attempting before actually going ahead with a movie. Upon outstanding viewing figures for this, they commission..."
- Calvin and Hobbes: the Movie – First introducing the aliens.
- Calvin and Hobbes: the Series: Seasons 1 - 4 – "The first season probably needs a rewrite. Attack of the Teacher Creature would be rewritten to take place during this season, re-purposed as a TV movie. All other seasons would proceed as they are."
- Christmas with Calvin and Hobbes
- Season 5: Part 1
- Wildlife From Beyond – Takes place during Season 5
- Season 5: Part 2 – ending the Series
- Calvin and Hobbes II: Lost at Sea – rewritten
- The Luna Syndicate – complete
- The Collective – complete
- The Final Grade – complete
- Escape to Nowhere – complete
- Calvin and Hobbes III: Double Trouble – rewritten
- Trouble Island – rewritten
- Calvin and Hobbes IV: Retro Chill – rewritten
There are also several recursive fanfics using the same characters, though none have been addressed by the main two authors as canon. Among these is The Pez Dispenser and the Reign of Terror.
This series is the Trope Namer for:
Common tropes in the stories include:
- Adaptation Expansion: Several new characters are introduced.
- Aliens Speaking English: Every alien speaks English.
- Animated Adaptation: Most of the stories are fake ones.
- Anime Hair: A very common trope throughout the characters in the series. It's often lampshaded as well.
- A Planet Named Zok: Trope Namer.
- Canon Discontinuity:
- The official timeline implies that the original versions of the rewritten versions are not canon.
- At the end of the Retro Chill rewrite, garfieldodie confirmed that Which Way is Where? is no longer canon.
- Deadpan Snarker: Most of the characters.
- Energy Weapon: A number of gadgets in the series have these.
- Fainting: Quite a lot of people faint in shock in these stories.
- Flanderization: Averted with some characters, particularly with Andy, who actually gets more interesting as the series progresses.
- Foreshadowing: "Prelude to a Season" is entirely made to drop hints for an upcoming storyline for the (now officially canceled) Season 6 of The Series. Nonetheless, later Season 5 stories seem to follow up on it.
- Lethal Lava Land: Planet Zok.
- Medium Awareness: An odd case - since it's a Script Fic, all the Medium Awareness moments are movie and TV show-related. It even has its own page!
- Monster Mash: The Luna Syndicate. Lampshaded by Socrates.
- Postmodernism: A fair amount of it.
- Ray Gun: A common weapon.
- Rogues Gallery
- Rouge Angles of Satin: Common in Swing's writings - less so garfieldodie's, but there are a few misspellings here and there.
- Troperiffic: Oh yes. If there's a science fiction or action-related trope out there, chances are the verse will have used it.
- The 'Verse
- Wham Episode: The Collective
- The Wiki Rule: A fledgling, troper-made one.
- World of Weirdness
- Your Mom: Calvin is rather fond of these types of jokes. Using examples from Garfield is also common.