Long into the future, Earth has become a radioactive mess thanks to a war from a thousand years ago. Humanity is also extinct except for Draconic Humanoid beings that clean up the pollution. The only island with ordinary humans is the island of Arzenal, where those who resisted the toxic substance called Norma live.
Then all of a sudden, an interdimensional portal opens up and releases waves of military-grade weapons that cause havoc on their planet. Recognized by their markings and Tron Lines, these were forces of Mana, former oppressors of the Norma who have now returned. The leader? None other than Sylvia Ikaruga Misurugi.
Cross Ange: Futatsu Sekai No Border (translates to Border of Two Worlds) is a continuation of Cross Ange that focuses on the Mana people after the Apocalypse, which took away their Mana and caused widespread destruction from releasing Aura. The once dominant race on the artificial world is now left to fend for itself, suffering constant food shortages, ruthless attacks from the Norma left behind, and serious amnesia over their own crimes. Among the survivors is Sylvia, who leads her new army as they rebuild and reform the Mana society and launch a new war against the True Earth.
The fic can be found here.
- 20 Minutes into the Future: The beginning of the fanfic.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Eric "The Reaper" manages to cut Para-mails with a small katana.
- After the End: After the "Apocalypse", when Mana lost its Light.
- Amnesiac Dissonance: The majority of the Mana populace remain oblivious over the crimes they committed during Embryo's time. Only a few were able to retain all their memories such as Sylvia, and those who do remember are traumatized over what they've done to their friends and family.
- Asshole Victim: Ahiko. On one hand, she sold out the canon main character of the story and chanted for her execution. On the other hand, like the rest of Mana, she suffered Laser-Guided Amnesia and got sodomized, raped and tortured to the point her hatred for Norma became solidly reasonable. If that wasn't enough, she would've been lynched by families who once had Norma children.
- Cool Car: The Bulldog, the primary vehicle for Sylvia's group.
- Create Your Own Villain: The discrimination against Norma instituted by the now deceased Embryo has resulted in the stragglers coming for the ex-Mana users.
- The Dog Bites Back: A very dark version with the Norma left behind who now attack the Mana people in retribution for their abuse.
- Don't Call Me "Sir": Discussed Trope. Sylvia dislikes being called an empress or even a princess, much like her sister. However, many of the survivors consider otherwise since she convinced them that Mana can walk back up its feet.
- Doomed Hometown: Sylvia's first attempts at rebuilding the Mana society ends up getting destroyed Norma forces.
- Hilda's sister had her village destroyed the same way.
- Expy: The "Bulldog" bear a clear resemblance to the "Dead Reckoning".
- Fix Fic
- Full-Circle Revolution: A case of Reality Ensues in the aftermath of the original Cross Ange. Although Mana users can no longer distinct themselves from Norma, the Norma still haven't forgotten the excessive cruelty they received, nor have they recovered their sanity. With exceptions like Sylvia's group and the Kingdom of Rosenblum, every place else is not without sadistic Norma who savagely slaughter entire settlements. A cruel irony where oppressors and erstwhile victims have traded places.
- Gone Horribly Right: Teaching Sylvia to fight has resulted backfiring on her older sister big time, if the prologue events are any indication.
- Hero Secret Service: "Hero" is questionable, but the Misurugi Royal Family had one of these who devote their lives protecting Sylvia.
- Hope Bringer: Sylvia is viewed as one in the eyes of former Mana users and Norma who were left behind, as she loves, accepts, and fights for them, unlike the new society.
- Human Resources: Mana users are being drained of their blood and organs for unknown reasons.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: The majority of Mana has suffered this. They're left to pick up the pieces of a world they hardly remember and survive the unspeakable atrocities committed against them.
- Like Older Sister, Like Younger Sister: Sylvia become the leader of a group fighting the current status quo. And Hilda's sister becomes a close companion.
- Little Sister Heroine: Sylvia plays the trope straight in the fic as she defends both Mana users and Norma from the psychotic elements of the New society.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: The Libertus did anything but liberate the Norma or stop the Mana people's violence against them.
- Persecution Flip: In an expected and cruel sense, Mana users are now being savagely abused by the Norma still left behind in the same dimension.
- Reality Ensues:
- The story goes over the consequences of a society that was so reliant on a substance that instantly became no longer available for them.
- The lack of proper food production resulted in some resorting to cannibalism.
- Aura has suffered a millennia of exploitation and is therefore worn out. She enters a very long sleep just to recover, which opens the way for a Mana invasion.
- Just because Mana users and Norma can no longer distinguish each other doesn't mean they'll become friends. Norma who have suffered traumatic experiences are without their sanity and use the opportunity to destroy settlements and slaughter scores of civilians.
- Mana is still left with vast amounts of untapped natural resources compared to the wasteland that is True Earth. And the still comparably larger population and leftover Lost Technology means they're a far more dangerous enemy than before.
- Recruiting the Criminal: Sylvia acquires more forces by recruiting the former rejects of their society. Justified as she needs every hand she can get now that she has lost her mana.
- Self-Fulfilling Prophecy: The Norma left behind in the post-apocalypse False Earth are now the violent savages they were portrayed as by the Mana due to the abuse they suffered.
- Shout-Out: One squad sent to confront Sylvia is named Francesca, Lynn, and Pirenne.
- The Magic Goes Away: How it went down in original series. They eventually regain it.
- Unexplained Recovery: Misty somehow manages to escape her transport aircraft and is playing a role of keeping the Kingdom of Rosenblum together.
- Villain Protagonist: Subverted. The Mana populace are the new heroes of this story, but they are suffering Laser-Guided Amnesia and on the receiving end of ruthless oppression.
- We Have Become Complacent: How the Mana people feel over their past time and their dependence on Mana. The story follows them rebuilding from the ashes.
- Who's Laughing Now?: In addition to the Normas violent revenge against the Mana people for their Fantastic Racism, the Mana people themselves not only regain their Mana abilities, but they also wage a one-sided war against the inhabitants of True Earth for their Persecution Flip.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: The Norma left behind on the False Earth who after losing their sanity from their abuse destroy settlements of once-Mana users.
- World of Action Girls: Played much straighter than the original series, which was a harsh take on the genre.