Red and Rover is a Slice of Life comic strip written by Brian Bassett that began in May 2000. The comic follows the titular Red and his dog Rover through childhood in the sixties/seventies, showcasing the magic of childhood and the love between a boy and his dog.
Red and Troper:
- Balloon Belly: Red is known to binge on Halloween candy every few years. Also, he tried to break his own watermelon-seed-spitting record, and his mom makes great cookies and fudge.
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal: Red put a sweater on his dog Rover, who walks and acts like a regular dog. Rover looked down at his unclothed back half and mused that he felt more naked with the sweater on than with it off.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Red's real name is Russell.
- Rescue Introduction: Red and Rover met when Rover saved the boy from being hit by a truck. Red took him home, and their friendship began.
- Shout-Out: In one strip that shows Red coming to check on Rover, who's doing something with a box, they're clearly engaging in Star Trek: The Original Series roleplay.