Restaurant Macoatl (or just Macoatl) is a longstanding Mexican comic strip and webcomic about a Dragon who decides to open a restaurant in the Prehispanic land of Coatlan (which is basically a World of Weirdness with a Mexican spin to it). It could also be called a prehispanic take on The Flintstones.
The story takes place in a world where humans live along with the The Coatlaltecas, a race of feathered snake people who used to live inside the sealed city of Coatlan. After the fall of the city and now in the human world, Checomal opens a restaurant with the help of Ichuel, his waitress; Xio, the kitchen helper; Kaira, the former princess of the city, and Tik. The strip is a mix of gag-a-day strips and an adventure series. It can be found here or if you do speak Spanish here.
This series includes examples of:
- All Animals Are Dogs: Toribio, the restaurant pet, is a small bull that acts like a dog.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: Most of the non-human cast come in a wide variety of greens, blues, and yellows for skin colors.
- Big Eater: Kaira eats everything that gets on a plate.
- Cats Are Mean: Specially when they are Flying cats
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: Checomal, sometimes bordering on Lethal Chef (one must wonder why we don’t see recurring customers).
- Cute Bruiser: The princess Kaira. You can see her getting into fights and lifting heavy stuff more often than the rest of the cast.
- Cute Monster Girl: Kaira, Ichuel, and many other of the Coatlaltec girls.
- Fearless Fool: Tik literally lacks fear, which makes him run into everything without thinking. Thank goodness he's protected by dumb luck.
- Flintstone Theming: With prehispanic-looking iconography, but also with the names of the characters and the present technology.
- Gratuitous Princess: Kaira is referred to as a princess, but she's one in name only since the city she ruled has been abandoned. Now she works as the restaurant's dishwasher.
- Hurricane of Puns: Mostly food-based, but also some based on prehispanic and Mexican culture.
- Lizard Folk: The Coatlaltecas. They are described as “feathered snake people”, but most of them look more like lizards than snakes.
- Mayincatec: The culture of the Coatlan is a mix of many prehispanic cultures, including Aztec, Mayan, and Olmec. It wouldn't be strange here to see an eagle warrior alongside a llama in the middle of the desert.
- Ms. Fanservice: Xocolatl, who is also a fan character, making her Ascended Fanon, too.
- Non-Mammal Mammaries: Female Coatlaltecas have breasts. The function they serve has yet to be known.
- Our Dragons Are Different: The Coatlaltecas in the series are basically dragons. Some look like humans with tails and claws, others are feathered reptiles several stories high. There is variety in there.
- Planet of Hats: During the search for the Golden Fried Meaty Tacos, Checomal and Tik visit several of these.
- Super-Strong Child: Kaira seems to take and deal lots of damage to their adversaries.
- Token Human: Tik is this to the main cast, but you can see plenty of humans among the customers.
- World of Weirdness: You have Dragons living among humans and skeletons in a pre-hispanic setting and using tools reminiscent of modern technology.