The Crew | Factions (Corporations: The Board, Auntie Cleo's, Spacer's Choice, C&P Boarst Factory, MSI), SubLight Salvaging & Shipping, Iconoclasts, Other Groups: Groundbreaker, Deserters, Gorgon, Eridanos, Marauders, Outlaws | Other Characters
Roving bands of spacers who loot, kill, and pillage the Outer Worlds.
- Always Chaotic Evil: They're not a pleasant bunch of people. Notably, they're also the only faction in the game that you cannot have peaceful interactions with. They're all just a bunch of Ax-Crazy psychos.
- Ax-Crazy: They will, to the man, attack you on sight.
- Distinctive Appearances: For whatever reason, Marauders have a common enough look that wearing their armor will get comments from people.
- Drugs Are Bad: It's implied that a large portion of them are addicted to a drug that has driven them to homicidal insanity.
- Driven to Villainy: Life on Halcyon is terrible and the people there are desperate. Deconstructed as those members of society that aren't driven to murder, rape, and pillage find them doubly disgusting. The psychosis-inducing drugs don't help either.
- The Marauders stand in for, and strongly resemble, both the Bandits of Borderlands and the Raiders from Fallout, both being Always Chaotic Evil human enemies that the player can kill without feeling bad.
- As of the reveal in "Peril on Gorgon" they're also comparable to the Reavers from Firefly. They're once normal people who were reduced to feral, homicidal maniacs thanks to the ruling class making them unwilling test subjects for a new wonder drug. Both drugs were intended to improve society by making its people easier to control, and both went horribly wrong instead.
- For Want of a Nail: The Marauders are colonists just like the Player. They could have ended up just like them: killing people and taking their stuff. Indeed, it could be that they do end up a Marauder by any other name.
- Insane = Violent: Their use of Adrenal-Time makes them all paranoid. This leads to violence.
- I Surrender, Suckers: Will do this with a high enough speech but will eventually go back to shooting you.
- Malevolent Masked Men: They have this sort of look.
- More Criminals Than Targets: Marauders are so frequent on Terra-1 (Monarch) and Terra-2 that they are a threat to life itself. Somewhat Justified as it's part of a larger breakdown in society in general as well as things degenerating to a fight for survival.
- Rape, Pillage, and Burn: They're generally up to this when they're encountered.
- Right-Hand Attack Dog: Marauders are often accompanied by tamed Canids every bit as bloodthirsty as them. Which is notable as they're supposedly impossible to train.
- Tragic Monster: "Peril on Gorgon" reveals that most Marauders were normal people before undisclosed sideffects of Adrena-Time drove them into a permanent homicidal rage.
- Alas, Poor Villain: Subverted. Constable Reyes feels no sympathy for him, unlike the other bounties.
- Boss in Mook's Clothing: The most powerful of the early bounties.
- Karmic Death: Reyes seems to think so, citing that he always said people got what they deserved.
- Helmets Are Hardly Heroic: Doesn't wear one unlike other bandits.
- Tin Tyrant: Cultivates that attitude with his heavy power armor and army of bandits.
- Sinister Minister: Is the former vicar of Edgewater before turning to banditry.