Angel Tales is an anime about Gorō Mutsumi, a young guy without much luck. Then one day a fortune teller enchants his cell phone and causes 12 of his deceased former pets/animals he encountered in childhood to appear in his room in the form of girls between the ages of 7 and 18, all calling him "master" and competing for his affections. That's...about it, really. It's worth a watch if you're into that sort of thing.
In the second season, the master-maid element is toned down, and becomes much more like a family drama. The girls try to be normal (at least as normal as possible given the circumstances) and magic is used much less. Also the characters receive a greater amount of character development.
This series provides examples of:
- Animal Motifs: The girl's hair and behavior are both indicators about what animal they were in their previous lives.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: One of the reasons why the girls are so loyal to Gorō is because he was so sweet and caring to them when they were animals.
- Big Eater: Kurumi, due to her having a fear of being hungry.
- Cat Girl: Tamami, and every other girl imaginable.
- Character Tics: Kurumi usually ends her sentences with 'Nano'
- Claustrophobia: Ayumi's fear. In fact, every girl has a phobia, relating to the way she died.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: The girls tend to get this way whenever one of them, or someone else, gets too close to their master.
- Declaration of Protection: The Angels make one towards Gorō.
- First Love: Kurumi Kimihoshi, Gorō's crush back in Junior High who Kurumi is named and modeled after, much to the ire of the other angels.
- HeelFace Turn: After finding out the truth about why their powers were taken and were sealed away the Saint Beasts become much nicer and loyal to Gorō like the Angels.
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: Akane's mother thinks so, for good reason: she was killed by them. Akane doesn't agree, even though she also was. The Saint Beasts also believe this as well until their HeelFace Turn.
- Mega Nekko: Tamami (the cat), in the first season anyway.
- Spinoff: The Boys' Love series Saint Beast was a spinoff, but with only the Saint Beasts and Goddess common characters.
- True Companions: More of this than a traditional harem, though there's still enough romantic tension to go around.
- Undying Loyalty: All the angels are extremely loyal to Gorō and will do anything for them, including risking their own lives and facing their worst fears just to keep him safe.
- Unlucky Everydude: Gorō. He's extremely unlucky, unable to hold onto a steady job and very lonely, of course that starts to change when the Angel's start appearing.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: The Saint Beasts believe that by reclaiming their powers they can make a better world for all animals, barely caring about the fact that all the humans would be wiped out as a result.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Many of the girls dress this way