The film follows the cat demon Luo-Xiao Hei after his home is deforested by humans and he must find a new one. He runs into a group of other fey creatures who have also lost their homes and take him under their wing with dreams of reconquering the land they say is rightfully theirs. However, they run into a human known as Wuxian who seperates Luo-Xiao Hei from the other feys and the two go on a journey with Luo-Xiao learning to control his abilities as well as forming his own thoughts on whether or not he's on the fey's side or humans.
- All Myths Are True: All forms of Chinese mythical creatures exist in this film, and when interacting with civilians, they're treated like normal people.
- The Baby of the Bunch: Given that he still doesn't have a clear grasp of his powers outside of shape-shifting, the other fey's look after Luo-Xiao Hei and come back to retrieve him from Wuxian when they're able to.
- Found Family: When Luo-Xiao Hei meets the other fey's, they're not at all related, but treat each other as family as they all happily adopt the small cat demon.
- Humans Are Bastards: The other feys see the humans as such since they feel wronged for them stealing their homes away. Luo-Xiao Hei initially agrees with this view, but after spending time with Wuxian, he starts to change his views to be more gray.
- Prequel: The movie serves as a prequel to the animated shorts.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: The most normal people will do when they see the other creatures is at most take out their phones to take pictures.