Wait, we can make our own pages? Hell yeah!
Disclaimer: This page undergoes various changes as the troper himself sees fit, including complete changes of tone in the bio section. Deal with it.
Scan Visor is a college student from Laurel, MD, USA. He loves his dogs, video games, music, and his country
. He does a lot of volunteering for local candidates, so he says he "works in politics". He has yet to win an election.
He is an armchair economist, though he no longer majors in the study. He considers himself a amateur scholar of the Eastern RPG
He has a blog: https://hapticfeedbackgames.blogspot.com
Follow him on twitter: https://twitter.com/AustinCHowe
This Troper Provides Examples Of
Pages With Major Contributions
- Afraidof Needles
- All Love Is Unrequited: Played with.
- Anvilicious or Some Anvils Need to Be Dropped: I can be heavy handed in my opinions.
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Of myself, all the time, as a result of Self-Deprecation.
- Made of Wangst: After my first session in group therapy, I was left with the feeling of this. Group members quickly assured me that this was not the case. It was suprisingly comforting to hear multiple rape victims tell me that angsting over all my love being unrequited and my late older brother was totally legitimate.
- Jerkass: Pretty common, especially paired with Wangst.
- All Men Are Perverts: Every man I know.
- Arch-Enemy: The Republican party and I are not on good terms.
- Beautiful Dreamer: I watched.
- Cannot Spit It Out: For about a year before the first cut.
- Cannot Talk to Women: A lasting result of The First Cut Is the Deepest.
- Character Tiers: I believe in them, especially when it comes to Super Smash Bros.
- Chivalrous Pervert
- Covert Pervert: Because really, everyone is somewhere on the inside.
- Cluster F-Bomb: All the time. Actually, more like a "Cluster Every Curse Word Ever Bomb".
- Complacent Gaming Syndrome: "Is Guile in this game?"
- Cynical Mentor: To myself: When learning guitar, my philosophy was usually a sort of Anti-Nihilistic "Don't ever expect to be good at guitar, but practice none the less." It worked pretty well.
- Dead Big Brother
- Death Is a Sad Thing: I was 9.
- Determined Defeatist: My attitude about many things.
- Do Not Do This Cool Thing: I don't do most of them.
- Downer Ending: Don't like 'em. I don't believe in a no-win situation.
- Existentialism: An important part of how I conduct myself.
- Expy: Of Squall Leonhart. When my hair is short, I look like Henry Townshend
- For Happiness: Pretty much the basis of my entire morality and personal philosophy.
- Headphones Equal Isolation
- Hollywood Atheist: Subverted. The death of my older brother in 2003 made me start questioning my faith, it was ultimately the Wired magazine article about the "New Atheism" and Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion, both constituting the logical arguments against God, religion, and faith, which caused me to completely hop the fence.
- Jerk With A Heartof Gold: Hang around me long enough and you'll see the "Heart of Gold" part in action.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Metaphorically.
- Lap Pillow: I'm fond of this.
- Large Ham: Yep, pretty much.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: This is Real Life after all.
- Lonely Together: Basically what my first relationship was like.
- Longing Look: Half of the looks I give. Trust me, if I am looking, for some reason, I am longing.
- Love Makes You Evil: I started being kind of an asshole to a lot of my friends the first time. Even more so after the breakup.
- Love Makes You Dumb: Upto Eleven the first time.
- Meaningful Name:
- Scan Visor comes from both my love of both Metroid: Prime, and my tendency to anylize and examine the meaning of even relatively shallow works, as well as trying to expose the Subtext of everyday conversations.
- Meta Guy: I often reference events in media to relate to life. See this page.
- Mistaken for Cheating: Mostly because of Epileptic Trees on my ex's part.
- Mrs. Hypothetical: Sometime before Teenage Marriage Promise. After that, she started signing her name with my last name at the end of the notes we used to pass in the hallway.
- My Country Rightor Wrong
- Nietzsche Wannabe: I have some characteristics, and I love the man's work, but this is a subversion.
- No Social Skills: Mostly because I don't understand the moral worth of typical social rules, like "Don't talk about politics at dinner."
- Not a Morning Person: If it's a weekend, I might wake up at 9, but if you try to wake me up before ten, I will not be happy.
- Patient Childhood Love Interest: Known her since . . . 5th grade or so? It's a long story, and not a terribly happy one. My feelings for her have passed though.
- Patriotic Fervor: My guitar has an enlisted men's "US" pins (with the circles) attached to the strings at the headstock (they came from my father's Air Force uniform from the late-70's), and I wear the gold officer's versions on my sport jackets. I've started to wear a headband to maintain my hair, so I plan to start wearing a flag on my head soon.
- Please Don't Leave Me: In a letter I wrote to my first girlfriend.
- Relationship Upgrade: After a small period of She Is Not My Girlfriend mixed with Oblivious to Love, but everyone could see it.
- Romantic Hyperbole: I tried to avert it, but the end result was a love fueled Teenage Marriage Promise.
- Samaritan Syndrome: Not too extreme, but I'm known to not be able to read the tone of a situation. If I feel like someone is either in hurt or in danger, I'll keep my eye on the situation until I'm certain they're not.
- Serial Tweaker: Well this page is a good place to start.
- Serious Business: We've got one life to live people.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: First relationship. According to friends. Others just thought it was cute.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Cynicism: I like to think of myself as, if not dead center, leading towards idealism, but most of the time I'm interpreted as The Cynic because of my not giving a shit about social institutions that I have deemed unnecessary and thus disregard in my day to day life. (Y'know, like High School.)
- Spurned Into Suicide: Subverted.
- Strawman Political: I used to be a Socialist. Nowadays I consider myself a Social Democrat, which is about as left-wing as you can get while still supporting the market system. Sadly, in places where Social Democracy is a relevant political movement (read: Europe, not the US), Social-Democracy is still regarded as a form of Democratic Socialism, and its parties, such as Germany's SPD, are members of the Socialist International. I think, as most of the parties no longer support a removal of the market system, they should seek an identity independent of Socialism. Basically, I consider this trope subverted. Yes, I checked and made sure it's a subversion. However, Social Democracy is still considered a radical opinion in the United States, despite the fact that many Democrats currently support a platform that is very reflective of the Social-Democratic vision. So you could consider the trope played straight. Your call.
- Teenage Marriage Promise: See The First Cut Is the Deepest.
- The First Cut Is the Deepest: Many one-on-one conversation with me will devolve into a discussion regarding how this happened to me if I'm single. (Currently: not.)
- The Lancer: How I've observed my role amongst groups of friends.
- There Are No Therapists: Averted.
- The Stoic: I try, usually resulting in Not So Stoic. I've had people tell me I handle sad situations pretty well though, so, again, your call.
- TrademarkFavoriteDrink: The smooth 23 flavors of Dr. Pepper.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: *sigh* See also Patient Childhood Friend.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: At heart.
- Hey, man. Found your page through the Final Fantasy haiku pages, and I personally think that we're alike in quite a few ways. Keep on truckin', friend. -The Hero Hartmut