Series: Bakuryuu Sentai Abaranger
Left to right: Mikoto, Yukito, Ryoga, Ranru, Asuka
"The iron DinoGuts!"Bakuryū Sentai Abaranger
(Blastosaur Squadron Rampagernote
) is the twenty-seventh program in the Super Sentai
franchise, airing from 2003 to 2004.
In the backstory of Abaranger
, the meteorite that killed all the dinosaurs in the distant past actually split Earth
into two parallel worlds
: "Another Earth
", the world as we know it where the dinosaurs became extinct, and "Dino Earth", where dinosaurs lived on alongside humans and eventually evolved into "Bakuryu" and "Ryujin" respectively.
All is well in Dino Earth until the awakening of the evil Evolien and their god, Dezumozorlya. Dino Earth soon falls to the Evolien, and a lone Ryujin warrior called Asuka flees through an interdimensional portal to Another Earth. There he seeks human allies with the ability to harness a powerful inner energy called "Dinoguts", and fight against the invading Evolien before they conquer Another Earth as well.
He soon finds three: Ryouga Hakua, a young father with boundless optimism; Yukito Sanjyo, a cold and cynical
chiropractor; and Ranru Itsuki, a keen tomboy mechanic
. Together they gain the partnership and power of three Bakuryu, and fight against the Evolien as the Bakuryu Sentai Abaranger.
Asuka soon recovers from being Brought Down to Normal
and joins as the fourth Abaranger, only to have his resolve tested as he is forced to fight Jeanne, a vicious Evolian general
who shares the appearance
of his lost love. Later on, a powerful Evil Counterpart
appears in the form of Mikoto Nakadai, an amoral genius
who uses a Super Prototype
of the Abaranger technology to become "AbareKiller", a nemesis that challenges the Abaranger's belief in the basic goodness of humanity
The theme of the series is, quite obvious from the title
, lots and lots of hotbloodedness
, and explosions
Oh, and did we mention that the Dinosaurs talk
- Ryōga Hakua / AbaRed: An environmental protection investigator from the US. An easygoing Nice Guy.
- Yukito Sanjyo / AbareBlue: A cold-hearted chiropractor with legendary skills.
- Ranru Itsuki / AbareYellow: An enthusiastic Wrench Wench.
- Asuka / AbareBlack: The last survivor of Dino Earth, and a brave warrior. Tends to be a fish out of water in Another Earth.
- Mikoto Nakadai, M.D. / AbareKiller: A Deadly Doctor who captures the Super Prototype Dino Minder Transformation Trinket and decides to use its power to alleviate his crippling boredom with the world.
And The Evoliens:
Check/help build the character sheet
Adapted as Power Rangers Dino Thunder
which gave a nod to the original show in one of their episodes.
Recurring Super Sentai tropes:
Tropes specific to Bakuryuu Sentai Abaranger:
- And I Must Scream: the victims of the Ep. 38 Trinoid are turned into Rafflesia flowers, known for smelling like rotting meat and relying on flies to be pollinated. Think about it.
- Applied Phlebotinum: DinoGuts.
- Artifact of Doom: The cursed armor that Asuka acquires eventually causes the wearer to go insane attacking both friend and foe alike.
- Badass Longcoat: Yukito fancies himself as one initially. Then Mikoto comes along and hijacks the trope for his own.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: In episode 14 when Denjirou tells Ranru about his old friendship with Ryunosuke, with a flashback for the viewer. She interrupts the story to ask which of the boys in the flashback scene is Ryunosuke.
- Butt Monkey: Asuka, generally in AnotherEarth's everyday life.
- Camp Gay: Ranru's trainer for Idol Singing sure is one. No wonder she quits...
- Color Failure: the ep. 37 Giganoid's Finishing Move. Seriously.
- Companion Cube: Ranru's bicycle, nicknamed "Mr. Birdie".