Characters: You're Under Arrest!
The cast for You're Under Arrest!
is fairly compact, comprising of a few major characters backed with recurring extras despite being a relatively long-running series. Below is a list of characters with regular appearances.note
open/close all folders
One of the two protagonists of the series, Natsumi is a police officer stationed in the Traffic Section of Bokutou Police Station. A friendly, fun-loving and easy-going person, Natsumi is also a very passionate officer who takes her work seriously and can be rather brash and impulsive when it comes to apprehending criminals, relying mainly on her instincts and near-superhuman strength to get herself through difficult situations. Her methods, while occasionally getting her into trouble with her superiors, serve as a foil and actually complement that of her partner Miyuki, leading many to describe her partnership with Miyuki as the "Super Combo".
While Natsumi is shown to be infatuated with older men (such as the Section Chief or Inspector Tokuno), her attention shifted to Shouji Toukairin in the anime adaptation after his appearance, more or less making him her Love Interest
for the rest of the series.
Voiced by: Akiko Hiramatsu
(JP), Jo Ann Luzzatto (EN, OVA only), Juliet Cesario (EN)
The other protagonist of the series, Miyuki is also a police officer stationed in the Traffic Section of Bokutou Station. Unlike her partner Natsumi, Miyuki is a calm, collected, and mild-tempered person, although she is equally passionate about her work as Natsumi. Not as strong as Natsumi, Miyuki prefers to use her intellect to solve cases. An expert in anything mechanical or electronic, she is the one who drives and maintains the patrol car which the duo uses. Coupled with her excellent planning skills, she forms a great partnership with Natsumi.
Miyuki is the first major character in the series to have a definite Love Interest
, her colleague Ken Nakajima, although any romantic progress between the two of them is very slow due to their shy personalities.
- Action Girl: She's the other half of Bokutou Precinct's "Super Duo". While she may not have Natsumi's muscle, she's an excellent driver, an even better mechanic, is highly intelligent, and a whiz with computers.
- Badass Driver: Is more or less the best driver in the series, and consistently make use of her handling skills, augmented by her special customizations, to maneuver her patrol car in ways that shock unwitting traffic offenders.
- Berserk Button: Never ever harm "The Today" (her patrol car), or bad mouth it, and above all, don't tinker with it. She takes that personally. She also doesn't like it when anyone steals from her.
- Beware the Nice Ones: While Natsumi generally appears fiercer than Miyuki, even she admits that Miyuki is the scarier of the two.
- Big Damn Heroes: Pulls off several, usually with the help of Natsumi.
- Braids of Action: Of the single braid variety.
- By-the-Book Cop: While she is usually a stickler for rules and regulations, she occasionally allows herself to bend some of them to get her job done.
- Her mentality is such that in one occasion when her superior forbade her to continue working on a particular case, she prepared a resignation letter so that she can continue to work on the said case.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Despite it being common knowledge among her friends and colleagues, she still find it difficult to express her love to Ken.
- Cool Car: Miyuki and Natsumi's Honda Today mini-patrol car, which Miyuki retrofitted with a larger (and then re-bored) dual-overhead-cam engine, a turbocharger and a nitrous-oxide booster.
- There were stock turbo Todays (distinguished by the air intakes on the hood), but they were still limited to 660 cc displacement to comply with the kei car regs. And they definitely didn't have overpressure meters.
- Everyone Can See It: The whole damn precinct knows that she and Nakajima are crazy for each other and fully support the idea of them being together. Except neither one can bring themselves to say it. Natsumi and the others have even set them up on dates to try to get things going between them, but to no avail.
- Fair Cop
- Feminine Women Can Cook: Is depicted as an excellent cook.
- Heroic BSOD: Is prone to these because she does not like change. She will often snap out of it when inspiration hits though.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Natsumi.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: During times when she needs to display force, she will tend to make use of her vast collection of airsoft guns, which she is excellent in handling (such as shooting at a moving vehicle while she is driving).
- Interdisciplinary Sleuth: Although she is technically a traffic cop, her vast knowledge and excellent operation planning skills is highly valued by her superiors, who occasionally assign her to handle cases outside her usual job scope.
- Lovely Angels: With Natsumi.
- Made of Iron: Between herself, Natsumi, and Nakajima, Miyuki is the only one who never suffers any kind of broken bone or similar injury on the job. Even after she and another car fall off a cliff, she splints the other driver's broken leg before leaving to search for help. Other than that, the worst thing she ever faces is a sprained wrist.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Natsumi's red.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: She's already found one, it's just that both of them are too shy to confess how they feel. In an episode of "Fast & Furious" (season 2), Ken comes close to actually proposing to her, though he chickens out at the last second. Miyuki understood what he was trying to say and tells him she'll wait for him.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Girly Girl to Natsumi's tomboy.
- Tranquil Fury: Tends to be in this state whenever she gets angry.
- Twice Shy: With Ken.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She's deathly afraid of ghosts, monsters, and other unexplained phenomena in general.
- Wrench Wench: Is one of the best mechanics in the series, and is responsible for the maintenance and customization of not only the mini-patrol car which she and Natsumi use, but also Natsumi's Moto-compo. Her abilities also extend to electronic devices and can often be seen tinkering on various gadgets in her free time.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: She fits every single detail in one way or another. She's an Aloof Dark-Haired Girl, soft-spoken but not a doormat, good at housework, and extremely dedicated to her mission and ideals... which revolve around her policewoman work as well as her machine-handling skills.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Although in her case it's clearly meant to be seen as black.
Officers of Bokutou Station Traffic Section
A motorcycle patrol officer stationed in Bokutou Station Traffic Section, Ken is one of the best biker in the series, which enables him to stop most traffic offenders single-handedly. Strong, tough and handsome, he is popular among his colleagues in the Traffic Section and is good friends with most of them, especially with Miyuki, of which he has romantic feelings with. However, like Miyuki, he is extremely shy when it comes to expressing feelings and thus their romance progresses at a very slow pace.
Ken is the only major character in the series whose family members make a regular appearance.
- A Day in the Limelight: Receives a few, usually in conjunction with his father and step-mother.
- Badass Biker: Badass enough to earn himself the moniker "White Hawk of Bokutou".
- Butt Monkey: More so than anyone else in the series.
- By-the-Book Cop: Takes rules and regulations seriously.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Often blames himself for his incorrigible shyness.
- Covert Pervert: While he is portrayed as relatively pure-hearted, he is not averse to indulging in fantasies occasionally, especially when it involves Miyuki.
- Fair Cop
- Gentle Giant
- Interrupted Declaration of Love: In times when he finally mustered the courage to declare his love to Miyuki, something will invariably ruin his plans.
- Made of Iron: This guy has taken more than his fair share of spills and accidents on his bike. Most of the time he's able to just get up and walk it off. In the anime he never has anything more serious than a broken bone.
- Red Baron: See above.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: Subverted. Ken rarely removes his aviator shades, which coupled with his large size makes him seem scary. In reality, he's a big softy.note
- Twice Shy: With Miyuki.
Originally a dispatcher who is later assigned as a patrol officer with Aoi as her partner, Yoriko is an incorrigible gossip who likes to poke her nose in anything that happens in Bokutou Station, although her tendency to misinterpret events often lead to embarrassment and complications. As if to complement her habits, she is excellent in gathering data which turns out to be useful in cracking several cases. A cheerful but nonetheless clumsy person, Yoriko is not as active in chasing criminals like Natsumi or Miyuki, focusing instead on providing community service, though her extraordinary luck sometimes get her involved in cases which she normally avoids.
- A Day in the Limelight: Receives a number throughout the series, which usually displays her incredible luck.
- Born Lucky: Subverted, actually. See both The Fool and The Load
- Cute Clumsy Girl
- Fair Cop: Interestingly, she seem to be able to attract middle-aged perverts and teenagers only, much to her dismay.
- The Fool: Is notorious for being extremely lucky at times, especially on how she became top of her cohort during her days in the Metropolitan Police Department Academy.
- Gossipy Hens: Is the primary gossip-monger in the series, and is often Bound and Gagged by her fellow colleagues if she takes her gossip too far (or gets it wrong, for that matter)
- Knowledge Broker: Though she mainly uses her data-gathering abilities for gossip purposes.
- The Load: Her luck can turn against her as well, leading her to situations which she is unable to handle and becoming a liability instead.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: Is prone to this whenever she is up to something devious.
A police officer who is transferred to Bokutou Station during the start of the 1st season of the anime adaptation, Aoi is depicted as a male officer who had crossdressed as part of an undercover operation and ended up "going native", although as the series progresses, it is heavily implied that "Aoi-chan" is actually transgender and not simply a crossdresser. Due to her past experiences, she excels in undercover operations, although being in the Traffic Section, her abilities are rarely employed. An extremely feminine person, Aoi also excels in many traditionally feminine skills, such as flower-arrangement and cooking, which led Natsumi and Yoriko to comment that she is more feminine than them. She becomes fast friends with her fellow colleagues after they got over their initial confusion over her gender identity, especially with Yoriko who she is partnered with.
In the anime adaptation, Aoi is depicted as an accomplished basketball player during her high school days and frequently employs her skills whenever she gets into action in the field. In the manga, her specialty was golf.
The section chief of Bokutou Station Traffic Section, addressed simply by his title Kachou
, is the direct superior of the protagonists in the series. A calm and gallant person, the Chief is fairly lenient of his subordinates and is willing to let them do as they please, so long as they do not neglect their duties as police officers. He is very proud of them and places great faith in their capabilities and is in return well-liked and respected by them.
Initially a disaffected high school student with no clear direction in life, Saori became inspired by Natsumi and Miyuki after a chance encounter with them and aspired to be a police officer thereafter. She succeeded and joined the Traffic Section in Bokutou Station during the start of the 2nd season. An energetic and enthusiastic person, Saori was initially disappointed when the Traffic Section did not live up to her expectations, although she quickly got over that when she realised that police officers are still humans after all and that their work is indeed generally mundane. Nevertheless, she remains very serious about her work and looks up upon Natsumi and Miyuki as her role models.
Saori was transferred out of Bokutou Station by the 3rd season (Full Throttle
), and is currently working with the anti-cyber crime unit in Jouhoku Station.
A mountain rescue specialist from Toyama Police Department, Shouji is a senior police officer who made his first appearance late in the 1st season when he got involved in the Tokyo Tower incident and was later temporarily assigned to Bokutou Station as a rescue instructor. A handsome and laid-back person, he had a friendly rivalry with Natsumi once it became apparent that he is the only person capable of surpassing her in terms of strength and appetite, which eventually blossomed into love.
His passion for mountain climbing and the nature of his work meant that he is often on the move, although he will provide useful assistance whenever he is in or around Bokutou Station.
Detective Inspector Tokuno
A senior detective stationed in the Criminal Investigation Section of Bokutou Station, Inspector Tokuno is good friends with the section chief of the Traffic Section and will often stop by the Traffic Section, either to visit the chief or to request for logistical assistance in whatever cases he is handling at the moment. Like the chief, Inspector Tokuno recognizes the capabilities of Natsumi and Miyuki and is generally willing to allow them to participate in cracking his ongoing cases.
He is the only police officer in Bokutou Station known to be married.
An officer from the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department Headquarters in charge of conducting inspections in every station under its jurisdiction, Senior Superintendent Arizuka is feared by station chiefs and their subordinates alike for the thoroughness of his inspections, which earned him the nickname "King of Hades". In reality however, he proves to be willing to overlook minor infractions of regulations among police officers as long as they display actual performance. In particular, he became impressed by Bokutou Station after witnessing the performance of its officers and would occasionally recommend it to handle cases which are usually outside its jurisdiction.
Another officer from the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department Headquarters, Assistant Inspector Kinoshita usually appears in Bokutou Station to relay information on cases or orders from the headquarters. Like Senior Superintendent Arizuka, she appears as a cold and no-nonsense officer who adheres strongly to rules and regulations, although it is just simply her way of taking her work seriously and she is sincerely concerned about the well-being of the officers under her.
The father of Ken, Daimaru is a motorcycle enthusiast who still regularly rides his bike with great skill despite being in his mid-sixties and having a bad eye. During the 1st season, he moved to Tokyo to open a motorcycle shop and to stay closer to Ken. When he first met Natsumi and Miyuki, he initially thought Natsumi was Ken's Love Interest
until he realized that Miyuki was the better choice. A widower, he met Sena Wakabayashi during one of his biking trips and became romantically involved with her and eventually married her.
He currently runs a motorcycle shop named "Zapper" with Sena in Sumida Ward where Bokutou Station is located.
- Badass Biker: Is the person responsible for teaching Ken his motorcycle skills, after all.
- Cool Old Guy
- Eye Scream: Happened to Daimaru in the past, and it's the reason why he retired from competitive racing. An episode in the first season is dedicated to him finding his old mechanic, who considered this as My Greatest Failure, and helping him out.
- Strong Family Resemblance: It's easy to see where Ken got his huge size and his trademark sunglasses.
- May-December Romance: There is an over forty year age difference between him and Sena.
Sena Nakajima, née Wakabayashi
A sports car enthusiast who enjoys driving along coastal highways, Sena met Daimaru on one such trip and became attracted to him and eventually married him. She is genuinely concerned about the well-being of her step-son Ken – whom she is six years younger than – and strove to make a good impression with him during their initial meeting. She quickly detected the relationship between Ken and Miyuki and will often attempt to further their relationship.
She currently runs the "Zapper" motorcycle shop with Daimaru.
- Cool Car: Her Lotus Super Seven.
- May-December Romance: She is younger than Ken! It's actually touched upon in her first episode, as Ken at first had huge problems about it (he liked Sena as a person but couldn't see her as a possible stepmom) and it takes him a short while to warm up to her.
A former police officer turned Shinto priest*
, he manages a shrine in Sumida Ward and still keeps in contact with the officers in Bokutou Station, offering friendly advice or assistance when needed. Incidentally, he is the uncle of the Traffic Section Chief, Kachou.
A costumed self-proclaimed defender of justice, Strike Man often loiter around Sumida Ward, using baseball-related items to exact his brand of "justice" against (generally) minor violators of law, such as humiliating people who litter on streets or deflating tires of illegally parked vehicles. The police in Bokutou Station generally sees him as a nuisance as he tends to obstruct their duties. He has a certain fixation with Natsumi after she repeatedly "defeated" him by deflecting his baseball attacks, and calls her "Home-Run Woman" as a result.
Voiced by: Kujira
(JP), Brian Keith Bolick (EN)
A middle-aged lady who is often seen riding a 50cc motor scooter, the Scooter Ladynote
is obsessed with sales and discounts and will use every means to reach her desired stores, even if it means flouting every traffic regulation in the book, much to the annoyance of the officers in the Traffic Section, who calls her "Bokutou's specialty".
Yuta, Sho and Maho
3 children who Natsumi and Miyuki occasionally encounter on during their daily patrol.