Characters: The Life and Times of Juniper Lee
open/close all folders
The heroine of the story and the current Te Xuan Ze. Voiced by Lara Jill Miller
- The Ace: Besides being the Te Xuan Ze, June plays guitar in her brothers' rock band, is an honor student and part of several clubs at school and seems fairly popular. She's not perfect, of course, but she's got a lot going for her.
- Action Girl
- Awesome McCoolname
- Badass Adorable: Those cute little fists can punch through two-hundred feet of concrete.
- Badass Bookworm: An honor student and no slouch in street smarts, either.
- Bare Your Midriff: And proud of it.
- Barrier Maiden: Implied though never stated.
- Big Sister Instinct: Towards Ray Ray and even her older brother Dennis.
- Blessed with Suck: She gets empowered by magical forces to help combat supernatural threats—but has to remain in Orchid Bay until a successor takes her place. Since she's only 11, that'll be a while.
- Chest Insignia: Sort of; the symbol on her shirt and armor doubles as this.
- The Chosen One
- Cute Bruiser
- Girly Bruiser
- I Am Not Pretty
- I Just Want to Be Normal
- It Sucks to Be the Chosen One: She has to remain in Orchid Bay until a successor takes her place. If she tries to leave the city limits, a force field prevents her from doing so. Also, she can't tell or show any of her friends or family about it either, making her sudden exits hard to explain.
- Kick Chick
- Kid Hero: Monroe mentions in "Meet The Parent" that she's the first Te Xuan Ze to attain the rank as a child.
- Leeroy Jenkins: A lot of her tactics are usually "rush in and beat up the villain".
- Locked into Strangeness: She developed a Skunk Stripe upon becoming the Te Xuan Ze.
- Meaningful Name: Juniper trees, especially the Chinese Juniper species, are representative of strength and athleticism.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: She does this a few times such as when she banished what she thought were evil trolls who were really guardians keeping Loki on lock-down.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Skunk Stripe: An indication of her protector status. It was originally white when it appeared; June dyes it fuchsia.
- 10-Minute Retirement: Gives up her job to Ashley in "Take My Life Please" but quickly returns when Ashley proves inadequate.
- Wake Up, Go to School, Save the World
Ray Ray Lee
Juniper's younger brother. Can also see magical creatures as well and most of the time tags along with her much to her chagrin. Voiced by Kath Soucie
- And All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt: Ray Ray mentioned buying one at the end of "Monster Con" but no t-shirt with that kind of message was actually seen.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: And how.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: He frequently complains how he doesn't have any magical powers and wishes he could fight monsters too. He gets his wish in one episode due to a space time malfunction caused by time wraiths, he's made the Te Xuan Ze since June never existed in that timeline. And quickly finds out firsthand her job not as easy as it looks.
- The Chosen One: In the timeline where Juniper Lee didn't exist, Ray Ray was the Te Xuan Ze.
- Contagious Powers: Somewhat, when the monsters that were attacking June tried to suck out her powers as she was just coming into them. Ray Ray interrupted the transfer and some of the power got implanted in him. Hence why he can see and communicate with magical creatures. Ah-Mah hints he may have gotten other magical powers too, but nothing is really shown of it.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He may be a hyperactive child but when he gets focused, he can be quite as competent, if not more so, than June.
- Emergency Transformation: In one episode he takes a potion meant for a small giant. It winds up turning him into a dinosaur which June and Monroe don't know how to reverse. They end up having to make a homunculus body and transfer his brain into it.
- I Just Want to Be Special
- Nightmare Fetishist
- Precocious Crush: On Lila.
- Tagalong Kid: More or less. He does have his moments though.
- In later episodes he starts to focus on ways to aid his sister in battle, so as to avoid this trope.
A Scottish dog and adviser to the Te Xuan Ze. He provides information on the magical creatures as well as assistance. Voiced by Carlos Alazraqui
Jasmine "Ah-Mah" Lee
The former Te Xuan Ze and Juniper's grandmother. Voiced by Amy Hill.
- Action Girl: Still is.
- Birthday Hater: Both for serious and comedic reason. For the latter it's due to her rather overbearing relatives coming over and having to deal with them. For the former, it just reminds her of the time lost while doing her Te Xuan Ze duties.
- Blessed with Suck: Same deal as Juniper, but she had it rougher as the Te Xuan Ze skipped over her son meaning she had to stay as the magical protector even longer before June took over. A lot of the time, she's seen traveling and doing various activities like ski diving or rock climbing. June calls her out when it's revealed she can't leave Orchid Bay, but Jasmine reveals she's trying to find a way so Juniper can leave the city.
- Cool Old Lady
- I Was Quite a Looker
- Never Mess with Granny: She can still hold her own despite her age.
- Retired Badass
- The Obi-Wan
- Prim and Proper Bun
- Skunk Stripe
A young girl Sasquatch that goes to live among humans when she see there's no use for her to live with her kind. June uses a spell to make her look human and she joins Juniper's inner circle in fighting off magical threats. She's an exception to the magical rule as she's not a magical creature so regular people can see her. Though she's in tune enough that she can see and interact with other magical creatures. Voiced by Tara Strong
June's older brother. Initially he had no clue of the magical on-goings of his house and would always be mind wiped if he stumbled upon such. However he became immune to the memory dust and was eventually let in on June's Te Xuan Ze duties, becoming an asset to her. Is said to be quite skilled in magic as his main hobby is LARP-ing and the fake magic used for it is actually based off real ones. Voiced by Alexander Polinsky.
June's friend who tries to act like a wannabe homeboy. Voiced by Tara Strong
- Cool Loser
- Expy: Of Dil Pickles from All Grown Up!, right down to have the exact same voice and also being an eccentric hat-wearing Cloud Cuckoo Lander.
- Funny Afro: Has one underneath the cap, he can't put his hat back on without someone to help him.
- Hidden Depths: He shows hes a pretty decent actor. Even Ophelia, who doubted he had any acting ability and shafted him with a small role of village idiot (which he was given without even getting the chance to audition by the previous director), was surprised when she was forced to give him the lead role after June was busy with other matters.
- Nice Hat
- Plucky Comic Relief
- Pretty Fly for a White Guy
- Spoiled Brat: He and his parents are actually quite wealthy. Though he's not really a brat so much as eccentric.
- Three Girls and A Guy: He the only male friend in June's group. (Marcus doesn't count as he rarely seen).
Juniper's long time best friend. Voiced by Colleen O'Shaughnessey
- Ambiguously Jewish: Its only until her sister has a Bar Mitzvah that it becomes official.
- Crazy-Prepared: Seems to have a precaution for any emergencies even meteors
- The Ditz: Somewhat, but at the end she does start to wise up when she visit June's house in the finale. The series ends with her finding a book on magical creatures and her spotting Juniper leaping from building to building.
- Genki Girl: She can be pretty hyper at times.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Plucky Girl
Juniper's cynical Goth friend. Voiced by Candi Milo
- Deadpan Snarker/The Snark Knight
- Bilingual Bonus: You wouldn't tell from first sight but she's Hispanic.
- Goth: Of the Gloomy Goth variety.
- Hidden Depths: She complains about a lot of the activities they do, but when she's given the chance to direct a play, she proves she has the skills for it. In a later episode, a movie short she directed actually won a film contest.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She can be pretty rough but she does care for her friends.
- Valley Girl: Ophelia would occasionally slip into valley girl mode when excited over a girly interest, such as boy bands.
Juniper's love interest. Voiced by Phil LaMarr
- Dreadlock Rasta: Though just a hairstyle, hes a pretty easy going guy.
- Everyone Can See It: June tries to downplay her like of him. But shes not fooling anyone.
- Nice Guy
- Token Minority Couple: He's black and June's Asian, do the math. They don't really hook up in the show proper but it's obvious they like each other.
A ancient mummy who was reanimated by a cult seeking power. However it turns out that he was really just a harmless business man using supernatural forces for his products. Voiced by Jeff Bennett
- Con Man: In his second appearance he raises hysteria over "Bat Otters" so people will buy his protection gear.
- Harmless Villain: He's no fighter and both of the plots shown are really just him trying to run a business. It's his underhanded means that make him a concern.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: His last appearance had him eaten by said bat otter he was hiding.
- Large Ham: He speaks and acts like a Texas tycoon.
- Nice Hat
The Norse God of Mischief. Voiced by Jeff Bennett
- Abusive Parents: Yeah he's a father, not a very good one though.
- Art Evolution: Gained pupils in his second appearance.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: After he's defeated the first time, Thor invites him to a party so he can chill out. Loki remains grumpy till Thor reminds him it's the party or a rather painful sounding dimension. Loki picks the former.
- I Lied: Though he's pretty upfront about it. One example:
Juniper: (After playing in his faux game show, picking a door and getting attacked by a monster) But you said I won!
Loki: HELLO! Master of lies! How many times do I have to say it?!
- Jerkass Gods
- Public Domain Character
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Thor of course.
- Trickster Archetype: A more sinister version.
- The Unfavorite: He mentions that his mother liked Thor best.
Stephen the Sandman
A sandman who went rogue and tries to take over the human world. Voiced by Daran Norris
A demon witch who was banished by an ancient Te Xuan Ze many centuries ago. Some monsters released her out of boredom and she resumed her conquest of the human world. Voiced by Susan Silo.
- Bad Boss: Hates bad news and doesn't take it well if you give her any.
- I Was Quite a Looker: She was much more fit during the ancient times. Post banishment, she became pudgy and needs her flying fish to get around.
- Final Boss: She's the last villain faced in the show.
- Wicked Witch: To the tee.
Short for "Humans for the Abolishment of Magic" or "Humans Against Magic". A group of humans who, for some reason, hate magic and seek to destroy it and any monsters in their way. They wear specialized suits that allow them to see magical creatures and wield tools to fight or capture monsters.
A female demon out to free her banished father. Voiced by Jessica Walter
The villain of Ray Ray's favorite comic superhero, Boomfist. He's accidentally released when a spell was cast over the comic book and seeks to take over the real world. Voiced by S. Scott Bullock.
One Shot Villains
A powerful Te Xuan Ze that went bad when he tried to take control of the magical world. Voiced by James Sie.
- The Ace: Said to be the most powerful Te Xuan Ze of his time. He certainly has the skills to back it up. Least till June starts improvising, then he can barely keep up with her.
- Evil Counterpart: A potential one to June. Another reason why Ah-Mah didn't want Juniper to face him.
- Evil Is Not a Toy: He was released from imprisonment by people wanting to control him for their own purposes. Kai Yee wasted no time in showing them it wasn't a good idea.
- Fallen Hero
- Knight of Cerebus: Compared to most villains (especially the one-shot ones), he was taken rather surprisingly seriously.
- Not So Different: With June, according to her grandmother.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: He was turned into a statue and given to Ah-Mah to be looked after.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Implied to be the reason for his Start of Darkness; he was Te Xuan Ze during a very dark time, and rebelled in an attept to make things better.
- We Can Rule Together: Offers it to June in a last gambit to save himself. Doesn't work.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He wants to control all magic so he will be capable of making things better so the world won't need a Te Xuan Ze anymore.
A former magical elder who was banished after trying to take over the world. Voiced by Daran Norris
- French Jerk: With a name like Jean-Claude, what do you expect?
- Genre Savvy: he explicitly mentions he is aware that June is the hero and he is the villain.
- Girl Posse: Has two female demons that follow him around.
- I Meant to Do That: Every time one of his female followers points out something that's gone wrong in his plan. He counters it was always a part of his plan. Riiiight.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Talks a big game but in truth he's just a cowardly show off.
- The Unfought: June too busy undoing his spell to deal with him and when she finally succeeds, he runs off.
A demoness who takes the form of an old man zookeeper. She kidnaps monsters off the streets then turns them into animals so she can feed off their magical energy and keep her youthful looks. Voiced by Kath Soucie
- Brain Bleach: When she started to turn back to her true form, she's naked and wrinkly @_@.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Thrown into a zoo cell just as she did her victims. And for added irony, mistaken for a lemur (of which she turned Juniper into) by the onlookers.
- No Ontological Inertia: Her captured animals are her energy source. Once they leave the zoo, she quickly loses her powers.
- Vain Sorceress: Indeed, her true form is a little imp-like demon.
A transfer student who comes to June's school and quickly starts wooing her. That is till its revealed he Loki's son who was sent to free him of his prison by switching places with June. Voiced by Dee Bradley Baker
Mitch the Enchanted Rhinoceros
A caretaker of the Easter bunnies and chickens. He went rogue after tiring of looking after them and sought to take over the Easter holiday. Voiced by Dee Bradley Baker
- False Flag Operation: His plan involved getting the chickens to revolt against the bunnies. Then getting both sides to go to war (which was helped when both sides had William and Monroe as their generals who were bickering at the time).
- Fluffy the Terrible
- Magical Nanny: What his job essentially boiled down to.
- Only Sane Man: How he views himself anyway, thinking that instead of candy kids should get useful things like batteries and socks.
A good 4th-degree sorceress who passes by Orchid Bay one day while training. Voiced by Kath Soucie
- Always Someone Better: To June as she can pretty much vaporize any monsters on the spot (though she wasn't trying to upstage her). However she lacks June's fighting prowness and understanding of monsters in human realm. The one day on the job as Te Xuan Ze she was instantly overwhelmed.
- Cute Witch
- Perpetual Smiler: She occasionally frowns but it never lasts more then a few seconds.
- Pink Means Feminine: Nearly everything about her, from her clothes to her spells, just screams this.
- Plucky Girl: Can rival Jody for this position.
A comic book superhero that's a favorite of Ray Ray's. Was released from his comic books to combat Wrongness. Voiced by Dee Bradley Baker
The Norse God of Thunder. Voiced by S. Scott Bullock.
- Drop the Hammer: Uh…yeah.
- Girl Posse: Gains a trio of female assistant called the "Hammer-rettes" in his second appearance. They don't think much of him though.
- Large Ham: Likes to put on the "almighty" spiel just for kicks.
- No Kill Like Overkill: His second appearance had him tracking a Vindolf Hobgoblin to June's school and planning to vaporize the building just to kill the thing. The dope never considered y'know, waiting till the kids were gone to do it. June has to talk him into letting her flush the creature out before he takes action.
- Public Domain Character
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Treats June like an old friend and an all around nice guy if not a little lackadaisical.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Loki.
- Surfer Dude: How he usually talks and acts.
Monroe's retired father. Voiced by Martin Jarvis.