Characters: Resident Evil 5
This page is for characters introduced in Resident Evil 5 only. For characters in other games or films in the game continuity, go to their respective debut media.
- Resident EvilIntroducing
- Resident Evil 2Introducing
- Resident Evil 3: NemesisIntroducing
- Resident Evil Gun Survivor Introducing
- Resident Evil: Code: VeronicaIntroducing
- Resident Evil 0Introducing
- Resident Evil OutbreakIntroducing
- Resident Evil 4Introducing
- Resident Evil: The Umbrella ChroniclesIntroducing
- Resident Evil: DegenerationIntroducing
- Resident Evil: The Darkside ChroniclesIntroducing
- Resident Evil: RevelationsIntroducing
- Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon CityIntroducing
- Resident Evil 6Introducing
- Resident Evil: DamnationIntroducing
- Resident Evil: Revelations 2Introducing
open/close all folders
Voiced by Karen Dyer
- "Don't worry. I may not be as big as you, but I can still hold my own!"
- Action Girl
- Badass Normal
- Bilingual Bonus: Her tattoo reads "Shujaa," which is Swahili for "Hero."
- But Not Too Black:
- The Chick: For her team.Josh: Sheva became the little sister of the team.
- Colour Coded Characters: Production notes state that it took the team a while before deciding on her signature color — lavender.
- Fur Bikini: One of her alternate costume.
- Good Is Not Soft: Even amongst the other player characters, Sheva stands out. She is one of the nicest characters in the series, especially if you build up her trust, established to be just as good as Chris, Jill, Leon, or Claire, and in the final boss fight, you can have her do one of the most Bad Ass things in the series and turn Wesker's chest into a scratching post.
- Heroic Sacrifice: She was about to perform one, but Chris saved her from herself.
- Knife Nut: Sheva will straight-up shank a fool if given the opportunity.
- Including Wesker. While he's infected with Uroboros.
- Male Gaze: The first thing you're shown of her is pretty much her ass. Lampshaded by Unskippable.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Her "Clubbin'" alternate costume is visibly inspired by a similar outfit worn by Halle Berry in Swordfish.
- The Lancer: For Chris.Sheva: There's only so much one person can do. Even a superhero like you, Chris.
- Little Red Riding Hood: One of her alternate costumes is a Hotter and Sexier version of the fairy tale (for some reason).
- Shout-Out: One of her alternate costumes is a throwback to Hunnigan from 4.
- Sexy Secretary: One of her alternate costumes is of a Sexy Secretary with a Badass in a Nice Suit vibe.
- Stepford Smiler: She outrightly defies this trope based on analysis. Despite her tragic background, she refuses to be a let down, and instead keeps a healthy and upbeat attitude. Most characters in her position are usually The Stoic, The Woobie, etc. If you just met her and didn't know her, you would think her life was sunshine and rainbows.
- True Companions: She's pretty much about this, either for Chris or for her team.
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: She's supposed to be a native African, but her accent is rather inconsistent, and you'd be forgiven for thinking she's British.
Voiced by: TJ StormThe captain of BSAA West Africa Branch and Sheva's mentor. He becomes Jill's partner in DLC, Desperate Escape.
- Badass: Firmly establishes himself as one, both as Jill's parter in Desperate Escape and in the Mercenaries game, where he's lugging the shotgun and an RPG.
- Not to mention using hammer punches and elbow drops.
- Black Dude Dies First: Averted. He survives the entirety of RE5.
- The Good Captain: Of BSAA West Africa.
- Lower Deck Episode: A DLC campaign ("Desperate Escape") in Resident Evil 5 allows you to play as him and Jill Valentine trying to escape from the Tricell headquarters.
- The Mentor: To Sheva.
- Wrestler in All of Us: His melee takedowns include elbow drops, German suplexes, and chokeslams.
Ozwell E. Spencer
Voiced by Adam D. Clarke
A British lord and founder and President of the Umbrella Corporation, who set in motion the events of the entire series in an attempt to make a new, superior race with himself ruling over it.
- A God Am I: "I was to become a god!"
- Aristocrats Are Evil: He's a Lord......his last name is perhaps a Shout-Out to the venerable Spencer family, of which Princess Diana was a member.
- Bad Boss: In "Lost in Nightmares" from Resident Evil 5, you can read diary entries of those who worked in Spencer's mansions. It seems he turned a lot of them into test subjects, and ultimately into monsters and zombies.
- The Chessmaster
- Celebrity Resemblance: His voice actor, who is a self-admitted Star Wars fan, based his voice on that of Ian McDiarmid's role of Emperor Palpatine.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Kills Marcus through Wesker and Birkin, betrays the latter for attempting to leave Umbrella, betrays George Trevor by locking him inside his mansion, and lastly betrays Wesker by admitting he is his creation.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive
- Cutscene Boss: After waiting numerous games to meet Ozwell E. Spencer in the flesh, Wesker kills him in a cutscene. Although, fighting an 89 year old man on life support probably would not have been an epic boss battle.
- Dark Lord on Life Support: The years have clearly taken their toll. He was even the page image for a time. He's reduced to being confined to wheelchair and life support system three years before Resident Evil 5 due to his old age. He expects Alex Wesker to reverse this condition by engineering an Immortality virus, although Albert Wesker kills him to become the Big Bad after Spencer reveals that Wesker was one of many Unwitting Pawns for Umbrella known as "Wesker children" in a project done to create the perfect breed of humans.
- Evil Cripple: He's in a wheelchair when Wesker finds him.
- Evil Old Folks: 89 when he dies.
- Greater Scope Villain: He's The Man Behind the Man to all of Umbrella, including Alexia, Sergei, Birkin, and series' most recurring villain, Albert Wesker. Yet, he is rarely seen throughout the series and doesn't even interact with the protagonists.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: How Wesker kills him, using his bare hands!
- Mad Scientist
- The Man Behind the Curtain: He's behind all the bad stuff in series, whether directly or indirectly, but he's little more than a pitiful old man, whining about how he was unable to achieve godhood.
- The Man Behind the Man: To Sergei, who's his Dragon-in-Chief, Alexia, and Birkin (who he employs), and in an odd way, Wesker, who he created.
- Meaningful Name: He shares a last name with Herbert Spencer, the philosopher who conceived Social Darwinism.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: If Spencer didn't order Wesker and Birkin to assassinate Dr. Marcus, none of the events relating to Umbrella's downfall and afterwards would have happened.
- Non-Action Big Bad: Par excellence.
- Smug Snake: Smart and a capable schemer, he's behind almost every bad thing in-series, but he waited too long to put his plan in motion, allowing Wesker to hijack it for himself.
- The Unfought: The heroes never even meet him alive. He's already been killed by the time Chris and Jill bust into his chamber.
Voiced by Nina Fahren
- "You're just not ready for me!"
- Absolute Cleavage: See the image.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: She was in love with Wesker of all people!
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Has the literal version in Mercenaries Reunion. And yes, her slaps can make enemies' heads explode.
- The Baroness
- Better Living Through Evil
- Brainy Brunette: Evil Brainy Brunette.
- Combat Stilettos: She keeps her high heels in Mercenaries Reunion.
- Dark Lady of War: Though she doesn't fight in the actual game, on Mercenaries Reunion, she kicks ass with vicious elegance.
- The Dragon: To Wesker.
- Et Tu, Brute?: On the receiving end of this, though seeing this is Wesker we're talking about, it's really no surprise.
- Everyone Looks Sexier If French: Sort of. She possesses a French Accent, but her last name is closer to that of Italian.
- Everything Sounds Sexier in French
- Evilutionary Biologist
- Femme Fatale: Subverted. She has all it takes to be one fierce Femme Fatale- beauty, intelligence, and cunning- but she is the one who falls for Wesker's masculine wiles and pays for it.
- Hot Scientist: She majored in genetic engineering.
- Jiggle Physics
- Ms. Fanservice
- Omnicidal Maniac: Excella agrees with Wesker's plan in Resident Evil 5, which would include killing, at the least, billions of humans.
- Rich Bitch
- Say My Name: ALBEEEEEERRRT!!!
- Sexy Backless Outfit
- She-Fu: Her Disco Spin move.
- Statuesque Stunner: 5'9".
- Stripperific: A backless mini-dress and pumps is not the appropriate attire for running around the African jungle or an oil rig.
- Too Dumb to Live: It's hard to believe she really thought Wesker wasn't going to stab her in the ribs.
- Unholy Matrimony: With Wesker, though they weren't indeed married to each other but in her head...
- Woman in White: Though it's not played for mystery or necessarily to show that she is evil.
- Woman Of Wealth And Taste: Her dress and shoes are both based on pieces by real life haute-couture designers. Her jewels look just as expensive and chic.
Voiced By: Allan GrovesDirector of the oil facility headed by Tricell Africa, Irving helped found its B.O.W. research department, and subsequently became known as a "death dealer" on the black market for distributing the products Tricell developed to African bioterrorists. Chris and Sheva going to Africa to capture him is what kickstarts the events of Resident Evil 5.
- Defiant to the End: Upon his death, he keeps laughing and mocking Chris and Sheva:Irving: "Dying's not so bad. But it doesn't change anything... you're still screwed!" (cue Evil Laugh)
- Disc One Final Boss: The first part of the game is all about chasing him, investigating him, and arresting him — it's only upon his defeat that he lets it slip he was merely following orders from Tricell's CEO, Excella.
- It's All About Me
- Large Ham: Especially once he goes One-Winged Angel.Irving: I've given myself an extreme makeover!
- One-Winged Angel: A gigantic sea-beast most comparable to The Kraken.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Attempted this after failing to kill Chris and Sheva. It didn't work out for him.
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: His accent sounds either Brooklyn or New Jersey.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: By being forced to infect himself with a dominant-strain of Plaga.