Characters from Ratman
open/close all folders
A hero otaku who was given the powers of Ratman. His idolization of heroes began when he was very young, and the legendary superhero Shiningman saved him from a collapsing building. Crea insists that he was chosen to be Ratman because nobody in their right mind would guess that someone as small as him would be Ratman.
- Animal-Themed Superbeing: Based on lab rats, specifically on the notion of their use in experiments.
- Anti-Hero/Anti-Villain: He is classified as a supervillain because he was forced to rob the Kizaki mansion for his debut as Ratman and because he beat the stuffing out of ANKaiser, but he's not evil.
- Ascended Fanboy: But not in the way he thought he'd be.
- Battle Aura: When he loses control of his Super-Powered Evil Side he becomes covered in an aura of black smoke.
- Berserk Button: Making fun of his height, heroes who don't act heroic, and people making fun of others' dreams. When his sisters are kidnapped and nearly killed by Yakuza, Ratman states that he didn't know what he would have done if they'd been hurt.
- Big Eater: Due to transforming into Ratman. He burns through calories at an accelerated rate.
- Body Horror: Later transformations are more controlled yet nevertheless transforms Shuto in new and monstrous ways.
- Breath Weapon: In his berserk state he can spit a powerful beam of energy.
- Broken Faceplate: When Ratman gets excited or angry his faceplate splits into a mouth full of fangs.
- Clueless Chick Magnet: Mirea and Rio have both expressed interest in him, but he has no idea, much to the former's annoyance. Shiki continually lampshades this.
- Dark Is Not Evil: As Ratman he is around six feet tall, dressed in what appears to be a black bodysuit, Thigh-High Boots, and a Scarf of Asskicking, and has a faceplate that morphs into a mouthful of fangs. He's also nicer than a lot of the superheroes.
- Despair Event Horizon: When photos of Mirea shopping with the Jackie soldiers turn up, Shuto promises to stop them from being published. When he discovers he's too late, however, he is thrown into such despair that he would have gone One-Winged Angel had Chihaya Sugimura not called and had the photos retracted,
- Eyeless Face: As Ratman his "helmet" has no eyes, just red markings.
- Facial Markings: Ratman's helmet has four jagged red stripes that connect in the front. In his berserk state a fifth one appears.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has a scar on his back from being crushed by a chunk of concrete when he was younger.
- Henshin Hero: He uses the APPEND GEAR to activate his S-Genes and transform into Ratman.
- Light 'em Up: Through his continuous imitating of Shiningman's transformation pose and killer move, he can do it as well; his version is called "Shining Ray de Alter"(a mix of gratuitous foreign languages which could mean "Alternate Shining Ray").
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Gender inverted and downplayed, he is MPGB of Mirea.
- Meaningful Name: As Ratman. Both refers to his small size and his job as Jackal's lab rat for their Super Prototype.
- Minion with an F in Evil: Despite working for a "villainous" organization, Shuto acts more like The Cowl in his spare time, helping Rio solve crimes and hanging out with Fatman. Crea calls him out on it.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: When he gets angry or excited as Ratman his faceplate splits into a mouth full of fangs.
- Oblivious to Love: Doesn't seem to realize the feelings that Mirea has towards him.
- Otaku: Shuto constantly nerds out over anime and heroes, and is often picked on for it.
- One-Winged Angel: If Shuto becomes really angry his S-Genes overwhelm him and he transforms into a bestial, berserk form with claws on its hands and feet, different Facial Markings and a long tail. When Shuto thinks Sin has killed Mirea, his S-Genes kick into overdrive and he becomes a mindless monster that makes his previous berserk form seem tame.
- Power Incontinence: Has difficulty controlling Ratman's transformations.
- Roofhopping: How Ratman gets around sometimes.
- Scarf of Asskicking: As Ratman he has a long, badass-looking scarf.
- Shapeshifter Weapon: By activating his S-Genes he can transform his arms into grotesque talons.
- Something Person: Rat + Man.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: If Shuto is truly furious his S-Genes will activate and he will transform into a bestial form but he won't remember what happens afterwards. Its bloodlust is so great that even Unchain is utterly terrified of it, and Shuto's consciousness feels like he is being consumed by it.
- Super Prototype: Crea claims Ratman is an experimental bio-weapon.
- Super Senses: One of his powers, enabling him to track others across long distances.
- Super Strength: His main ability as Ratman, though he also has Super Speed and Super Toughness.
- 10-Minute Retirement: He gives up being Ratman after losing control of his Super-Powered Evil Side, but later returns. In the epilogue, though, he gives the identity up for good.
- Transformation Trinket: The APPEND GEAR, which looks like a watch. It's also prone to malfunctioning.
- Unskilled, but Strong: After getting beaten up by a bully, he comes to the realization that he's mainly won because of his Ratman powers and decides to train himself
- Wipe The Floor With You: His Super-Powered Evil Side does this to ANKaiser.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: He has trouble fighting girls. He mostly tries to dodge them or get away.
Classmate of Shuto who has a crush on him. She is a member of Jackal who recommended him for being Ratman. She lost her parents at a young age and was then raised by Crea.
Rio Kizaki/Cat Girl Rio
Sempai of Shuto and Mirea. Daughter of the president of the Heroes' Association who dreams of being a hero herself someday to help people. Her father does not want her to become a hero.
The Jackal Organization/The Mizushima Family
An evil organization who opposes the Heroes' Association.
- Card Carrying Villains: Crea has stated their goal is world domination, but she was lying.
- Enemy Mine: With the Hero Organization against Sin.
- Evil Is One Big Happy Family: Literally. Aside from the Jackie combatants and Shuto, Jackal is solely comprised of the surviving members of the Mizushima family.
- Oddly Small Organization: Only had six members before Shuto joined.
- Organization With A Dark Secret: Crea and Mirea's parents were two of the founding members of the Hero Organization and were involved in the creation of Shiningman.
- Revenge: Chapter nineteen confirms this as their true goal.
- Villains Out Shopping: The Jackie combatants are frequently dispatched to purchase food supplies, often with humorous results. Reality Ensues when Mirea is photographed with them by a reporter for the chief hero magazine and Ratman has to rush to prevent it from being published.
The leader of Jackal who made the technology of Ratman's APPEND GEAR. Mirea's older sister. She raised Mirea herself after the deaths of their parents.
The Grandfather of Crea and Mirea.
- Evil Old Folks: "Evil" being used subjectively.
- Hidden Depths: He actually knows and understands his granddaughter very well, and the only real reason he's involved in mad science or supervillainy is because he feels her revenge plot is something she needs to go through with for her own sake. He also believed, correctly, that Shouichiro was innocent all along.
- Mad Scientist: He looks the part more than his grandchildren.
- Miniature Senior Citizens: He's even shorter than Shuto, which is saying something.
The Combatant Jackies
The three foot soldiers of Jackal.
The Heroes' Association
An association who regulate heroes from commercial companies.
S-List/Social Order Secret Security/S-Security
A secret team of special forces who take care of any organizations that work against the Heroes Association and handles in-fights between heroes.
A member of S-Security.
A young man who somehow has powers despite not having the special equipment most heroes rely on. Soon after he's introduced, he uses his powers to save Shuto's life and they quickly become friends. However, he's also a guinea pig for a very shady branch of the Heroes' Association, and has become their latest S-Ranked hero: Unchain. He was abused as a child because his parents feared his powers.
A hero who worked for the security company ANK Security
. After the company flopped, he retired from being a hero but became one again when his gym hired him to be their commercial hero and renamed itself Kaiser Boxing Gym
A hero working for the security company City Guard
- Barrier Warrior: He can create an energy barrier to block and deflect attacks.
A heroic swordswoman who also happens to be a first-year student at Shuto's school. The youngest A-ranked hero, and the commercial hero and the sixteenth owner of the vintage fiber manufacturing company Haori
- A-Cup Angst: Expresses embarrassment when IS-KA lists her three sizes.
- Action Girl: One of the youngest superheroes registered at the Association, but holds an A-rank.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her uniform exposes much of the front of her body.
- Blue Blood: The motif and themes of her hero-self shows elements of this. The company that sponsors her is apparently a very elite, highly respected company that has been trading and making high-quality fabrics and gowns for several centuries. Think a designer brand that mostly caters to the very elite, rather than just about anyone who's willing to shell out the cash. Not to mention her title.
- Cool Sword: Wields a tsurugi/jian.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Was called "Kujo long chives" when she was younger.
- Eyepatch of Power: Wears one in her civilian identity to hide her golden eye.
- Hair Decorations: Keeps her hair tied up in a ponytail with a white ribbon in her civilian identity, and in her superhero outfit her armour gives her looped pigtails.
- Luminescent Blush: Has this reaction to having her three sizes listed and the fact that her panties are showing pointed out.
- Magical Girl: Complete with a Sailor Moon-esque Transformation Sequence.
- Panty Shot/Show Girl Skirt: Her dress exposes her panties.
- Precognition: One of her abilities.
- Purple Is Powerful: Her hero dress.
- Red Baron: She is called "Golden-Eyed Heavenly Maiden".
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: Her hero name and costume are evocative of Shinto.
- Scarf of Asskicking: As Ame-No-Uzume-No-Mikoto she wears one that invokes female kami. It is also a literal scarf of asskicking, as she can direct it to protect her or attack.
- Sempai/Kohai: Is Shuto's kohai, and calls him her sempai.
- This Is a Drill: Can wrap her scarf around her sword to transform it into a drill, increasing its offensive power.
- Zettai Ryouki
A hero who pulled himself out of unemployment and started his own business.
Crystal Fighter PRISMMAN
A hero team working for Gimza Jewelry Taki
. The members are Ruby Red
, Sapphire Blue
, and Topaz Yellow
The leader of PRISMMAN.
Sapphire BlueThe Lancer
- The Lancer: He becomes quite jealous of Red hogging the spotlight, and decides to confront him about it.
A member of PRISMMAN, he backed up Blue when he confronted Red.
An newly-registered but powerful hero working for the Ad-Bank cellphone company.
Akiba Holy Girls
A team of maid themed heroes working for Holy Star Café
2 Unidentified Heroes
A hero team.
A hero working for his family's restaurant Pizza Fat
. Initially an E-Lister until becoming a D-Lister at an unknown time.
- Took a Level in Badass: Actually handles the berserk Mr. Big Horn better in battle than Ratman, taking him on solo and winning when he thinks Ratman is going to activate a similar power.
- Warrior Therapist: Guesses without being told that Shuto was going to try to tap into the same S-Genes that were driving other heroes crazy and manages to get to the root of Mr. Big Horn's issues that drove him to use the hero amplifier, momentarily talking him out of his rampage.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: Fat control.
Mr. Big Horn
Exclusive hero of fast food chain Bison Burger
who moved from the United States to Japan. A D-list hero.
Hero of Shibuya who is employed by MEN'S EGGLE Co.Ltd
as both a model and hero.
Shiningman/ Akeboshi Mitsunari
The hero who inspired Shuto to become a hero after saving his life as a child.
- Broken Pedestal: Actually speaking to Shiningman nearly disenchants Shuto.
- Brought to You by the Letter "S": Wears a "S" on his helmet.
- Emergency Transformation: A variant. He was allowed to become Shiningman after coming to his friends, whom he was working with in order to create a superhero, and explaining to them that the people he was working against in a court case have taken his son hostage.
- Fallen Hero: He fled Japan and moved to the United States.
- Finishing Move: Shining Ray.
- The Glasses Come Off: Before he was a hero, he was a glasses-wearing lawyer. When he's about to be turned into Shiningman for the first time, he takes off the glasses that he almost always wore, revealing how he's essentially an older version of Shuto in appearance.
- In the Blood: Infused Shuto with the S-Genes by giving him a blood transfusion to save his life. His son also inherited this power... somehow.
- Light 'em Up: His power enabled him to create blasts of light; he is called Shiningman after all.
- Megane: Before he got his powers.
- The Paragon: He inspired Shuto to be a hero, and it's implied he is this to the other heroes as well.
- Retired Badass: Lives in the United States after fleeing the country.
The commercial hero for Sunny Insurance
Executives and Employees
The assistant of Shouichiro Kizaki.
The head scientist of the Bio Department and legal guardian of Shiki Kazamori.
The Kizaki Household
President of the Heroes' Association and Rio's father.
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: Gets down in a kneeling bow when asking Crea for forgiveness.
- Better Manhandle the Murder Weapon: The reason why Crea has it in for him. He attacked the soldier who killed her parents, making him drop his gun. Shouichiro then grabbed the gun that killed his friends, vowing he would never forgive their killers. Crea only arrived after the soldier had already fled, so all she saw was Shouichiro standing over the bodies of her parents while holding a gun.
- Hidden Depths: Is a 4th dan in karate, a black belt in judo, and a 5th dan in in kendo. He also has a scar from fighting bears.
- Missed the Call: Was the one originally chosen to be Shiningman.
- Overprotective Dad: Does not want his daughter Rio to become a hero. He finally relents after they spar with each other and she nearly wins.
The maid of the Kizaki Manor.
A man from the United States who is Rio's bodyguard and personal trainer.
A reporter for a heroes magazine.
Mother of Shuto, Ana, and Yuna.
Ana & Yuna Katsuragi
Shuto's little twin sisters.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Ana to Shuto.
- Hair Decorations: Ana wears a black ribbon with her hair bun on the left side of her head, while Yuna wears a white ribbon with her hair bun on the right side of her head.
Shuto's friend and classmate.
- Otaku: Like Shuto, he's obsessed with heroes. He's especially fond of Randolman.
Sister of Taishi and employee of her family's restaurant Pizza Fat
An android created by Hironobu Andou.
Dr. Hironobu Andou
An out of work inventor who created Roiko.
Mr. Big Horn's wife and employee.