This page lists the characters of Nabari No Ou
and their associated tropes.
open/close all folders
The apathetic 14-year old protagonist of the series. Although Nabari's most powerful secret art, the Shinrabanshou (lit. All Things in Nature), is literally written into his body and he is venerated by all of Nabari's ninja as king, Miharu cares little about his gift's profound merits. His only goal is to inherit the family's okonomiyaki store
One of Miharu's classmates, Aizawa is the leader of the school's Nindou club. He's actually an owl with a human heart who was made immortal by a previous hijutsu user. He and Shijima both want Miharu to free them from the "curse" of immortality.
- Adorkable: Particularly when around Raimei.
- Badass Bookworm: Aizawa Kouichi seems like a mild-mannered and well-spoken young man often taken aback by his friends' quirks and isn't the best at ninja techniques...except when push comes to shove, he becomes a cool, level-headed, and actually professional ninja who doesn't hesitate to kill, brainwash, and do whatever it takes to free himself from the curse of immortality, even if it means siding with the enemy village.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Blessed with Suck: Views his immortality as a curse, having grown weary after living for so long.
- Cute and Psycho: Can come off as crazy when he's defeating people and smiling while he does it.
- Fan Nickname: Owlzawa, Oldzawa, and Shotazawa for Kouichi's various forms.
- Hellish Pupils: At times. Presumably because he's not completely human.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: He and Shijima never wanted their immortality and have grown weary of it over time.
- Like Brother and Sister: Has shades of this relationship with Shijima.
- Nice Guy
- Older Than They Look/Really 700 Years Old
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: While he apparently isn't evil, he's certainly more ruthless than he first appears, and he's definitely planning something behind his team's back. Plus, he's immortal, and not exactly human.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Blue to Raimei's Red.
- Relationship Voice Actor: Miharu is Shana while Kouichi is Yuuji
- Scary Shiny Glasses
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: Views his immortality as a curse.
Tobari Durandal Kumohira
Miharu and Kouichi's 25-year-old teacher in the front world. Born in Ireland, he was forced by his grandfather to go to Japan and learn to become a ninja. Among the Banten ninja, Thobari is the most vehement dissident against Miharu using the Shinrabanshou, instead advocating its permanent seal.
- Afraid of Needles: Thobari's irrational fear of vehicles of all sorts. Apparently he used to be an award-winning choirboy in Ireland, but being forcibly brought over to Japan in an airplane traumatized him so much he became tone deaf.
- Butt Monkey: He can't ever seem to catch a break.
- But Not Too Foreign: Partially Irish.
- Failure Knight: His devotion to Miharu is partially because of his guilt from failing to seal the Shinrabanshou 10 years ago.
- Fan Nickname: Pedo-sensei.
- Fatal Flaw: He's morally unable to take a life, which makes it hard for him to protect Miharu. Multiple characters call him out on this. He finally gets over it by killing Hattori in the anime and Fuuma in the manga.
- The Mentor: Of sorts.
- My Greatest Failure: Not protecting Akatsuki, Asahi, and his grandfather and failing to seal the Shinrabanshou. The guilt from this incident weighs pretty heavily on him, compounded by the fact that he's the only person who remembers what happened.
- Papa Wolf: Towards his students.
- Phenotype Stereotype: Averted: Kumohira is partly Irish, and he does have blue eyes, but with dark hair instead of blond.
- Oireland: Averted: Kumohira averts almost all of the typical Oirish stereotypes, including drinking.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: His personal moral code won't let him kill anyone. While this makes him one of the more honorable shinobi, it also complicates his mission to protect Miharu.
The female lead of the series. She is a samurai of the Shimizu clan and has sworn to kill her older brother Raikou, who annihilated the clan 5 years ago.
The leader of Fuuma Village. He loves women as he claims that if he had the power of the Shinrabanshou, he would turn the Fuuma Village into a paradise where all the world's women are in love with him.
Fuuma Kotarou's second-in-command.
A 12-year-old medical ninja.
The leader of the Iga clan and the Kairoushuu. His ideal is to change history and achieve equality among humans with the Shinrabanshou. Hattori takes in many outcasts, offering them a place in the Kairoushuu. Despite this kindness, though, Hattori has little qualms about eliminating those who oppose him.
Often seen in the company of Hattori, Ichiki is The Leader
of Kasa. Ichiki is always seen dressed in a traditional kimono
and appears to be blind.
A 16-year-old ninja who uses the Iga's kinjutsushō "Kira", a technique that shoots the user's ki into the target's body and controls it from the inside out, causing the target's bones to break or their body to completely explode. The cost of using this technique is the loss of the user's life force
. When Yoite is introduced, he has only a few more months to live.
According to Word of God
, Yoite and Miharu are the series' two protagonists despite Yoite's absence after his death
- Abusive Parents
- Ambiguous Gender: Subverted. the reader (and even most characters, apparently) start out believing that Yoite is a boy. Later it turns out that he's actually... intersexual. It doesn't really matter in the long run, though, and isn't gone into in much detail, only the readers now know another reason for his angst and identity issues.
- Badass Longcoat: Yoite is almost never seen without some sort of thick, black coat. He won't take it off, even if it's the middle of summer or if he's soaking wet.
- Big Eater: Yoite can be seen eating huge amounts of food in the background of various scenes. He'll eat just about anything since his Kira skill is robbing him of all his senses, and has already taken his sense of taste.
- Berserk Button: Being called an Emo Kid, in the dub.
- Blessed with Suck: Kira is a huge advantage in battle, but is also Cast from Lifespan.
- Broken Bird: Due to his abusive childhood and the fact that he's going to die soon.
- Cast from Lifespan: The Kira technique is powered by Yoite's Life Energy.
- Cross-Dressing Voices
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Kira.
- Enigmatic Minion: Works a lot on his own, including his request to Miharu. Unlike some of his teammates, he doesn't care about Kairoushuu's mission at all; rather, his greatest desire is for his wish to be granted.
- Go Out with a Smile: Dies with a smile in both the anime and manga.
- Handicapped Badass: Regularly faints, always coughing his lungs out, can barely hear or see by chapter 50. Not that his opponents can tell.
- Hates Being Touched: Though he ends up allowing Miharu to touch him sometimes, "'Don't touch me" is easily the phrase he says the most.
- Hermaphrodite: We don't learn the specifics, but Kazuho says he's "neither male nor female." It's taken by his parents and Yoite himself as another sign that he's cursed and shouldn't have been born.
- I Just Want to Be Normal
- Incurable Cough of Death: One symptom of Yoite's condition.
- Jerkass Fašade: Yoite reveals to Miharu that he didn't really ever have his friends as hostages because he didn't want them to die with him if he ever died unexpectedly.
- Nice Hat: Yoite's giant cap. Some fans have called this series "The Hat Anime." He loses it surprisingly often for something so iconic, though.
- Only One Name
- The Quiet One: Actually gets tired from talking for a few minutes since he's used to being silent
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin
- The Runaway
- Scars Are Forever: Has a scar on his neck from when his parents tried to kill him.
- Shinigami: Called one by multiple characters. Flashbacks reveal that he was called this even before he obtained Kira; family members (possibly his parents) claimed he was a shinigami who had killed his mother.
- Sweater Boy
- When He Smiles: Wow.
A 27-year-old ninja. He acts as a squad leader on field missions and is a freelance writer in the front world. He claims to hate kids and calls them "brats".
Yukimi's younger sister and Yoite's personal physician. Despite her medical license, she currently works at a sushi restaurant.
A 20-year-old samurai of the Shimizu clan. When he was fifteen, he single-handedly massacred his entire clan, with the exception of his sister Raimei. This action was actually vengeance against his uncle and his gang, who murdered his parents in a coup d'Útat to take over the clan.
Raikou's extemely devoted partner. He assists Raikou with his responsibilities to the Kairoushuu, usually compiling reports and taking samples from their targets.
- Adorkable: Due to his Hot-Blooded personality and hero worship of Raikou, combined with being something of a Keet.
- Butt Monkey: Often on the receiving end of Raikou's physical abuse.
- Distressed Dude
- Fan Boy: Of Raikou.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Raikou.
- Hot-Blooded: Gau's default mode◊.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: To Raikou. Despite being a very talented swordsman, Raikou isn't very competent in the more real-world life skills, particularly admin work, which is where Gau dutifully and diligently picks up the slack.
- Keet: Very energetic and usually cheerful.
- Morality Pet: Stops Raikou from crossing the Moral Event Horizon by blocking a katana slash meant for Raimei. Later on, his concern for Yoite drives Raikou's Heel-Face Turn.
- Pay Evil unto Evil
- Tender Tears: Cries when he meets Raikou for the first time, when Raikou tells him about his past, when he gets slashed by Raikou, when he intervenes in Raikou and Yukimi's fight, when he calls Yukimi on the cellphone, when Raikou gets stabbed, etc, etc...
- Tsurime Eyes: Has slanted, cat-like eyes, although they get a bit droopier through Art Evolution.
- Undying Loyalty: Completely devoted to Raikou. He only disobeys him once, and was willing to die as punishment for that.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: The most idealistic member of Kairoushuu. He believes they're changing the world for the better and can do so even more using the Shinrabanshou.
- Yes-Man: Gau is described as being "Raikou's little yes-man". So much so, that Kazuho and Yukimi are both taken-aback when Gau absentmindedly expresses doubt in front of Raikou on his course of action.
Shijima Kurookano/ Shiratama
A mysterious member of the Alya Academy Student Council who seems to know more than she lets on. She's actually a cat with a human heart who was made immortal by a previous hijutsu user. She and Kouichi both want Miharu to free them from the "curse" of immortality.
Hanabusa SekiThobari's girlfriend
. She's completely uninvolved with the world of Nabari and treats everyone (including enemy ninjas) kindly, much to Thobari's horror
A boy Yukimi meets while saving a cat. He's actually Yoite's younger brother, from back when Yoite was named "Sora Koudou."
- Abusive Parents: They treated him better than Sora, but still threatened to "make it like you never existed" if he was kind to Sora and tried to make him attack his brother. He tells Yukimi he's estranged from them and is living on his own.
- My Greatest Failure: Regrets not being able to help Sora.
- Nice Guy: Very open and friendly. He also seems to have been the only person who was kind to Sora.