open/close all folders
Los Angeles Police Department
Lt. Vincent Hanna
Played by: Al Pacino
- Bad Ass
- Go-Karting with Bowser: The scene wherein he drink coffee with Neil.
- Hero Antagonist: From Neil's POV.
- Hot-Blooded: He's a Rabid Cop who's brash, passionate and hot-tempered.
- Large Ham: His dialogue can get bombastic on occasions. In the original screenplay he was intended to be a cocaine addict, which Pacino retained in his performance.
- Married to the Job: At the expense of his marriage with Justine.
- Obfuscating Insanity: He acts like an eccentric Rabid Cop towards his suspects until he scares/confuses them into telling him something useful
- Rabid Cop: He is a particularly hot-tempered LAPD lieutenant when he gets his dander up.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Neil's blue.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: He is a foul-mouthed cop who speaks in shrill profanities when he gets riled up.
- Sympathy for the Devil: To Neil.
Played by: Robert De Niro
- Affably Evil: A ruthless bank robber who's not above polite conversation even with people he says he would murder if he had to, as witnessed by his genial encounter with Vincent.
- Bad Ass
- Bank Robbery: The last job he plans with his gang.
- Beard of Evil: The movie's a bit more complex than straightforward good vs. evil, but symbolically it's no coincidence that the violent Noble Demon bank robber sports a natty little goatee.
- Everyone Has Standards: He is disgusted with and furious at Waingro for killing the guards during the armored car robbery when it isn't necessary.
- Gentleman Thief: A Deconstructed Character Archetype. He has the charm and all the connections, but he's a painfully lonely man, and won't get close to anyone for fear that the cops will be right around the corner.
- Honor Among Thieves: Despite some bad habits, his team of robbers usually watch out for each other. Except for Waingro, who is too inhuman to count.
- One Last Job: He plans himself one last bank heist before his retirement.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Hanna's red.
- The Stoic
- Villain Protagonist: A bank robber who is a main character, but he has an equal role with Lt. Hanna, the cop trying to catch him.
Played by: Val Kilmer
- The Gambling Addict: The main problem he has, which is the reason his marriage with Charlene is on the rocks.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Charlene. Though it's technically his fault for living his criminal lifestyle in the first place.
- Tantrum Throwing: Has a brief one when he loses his temper during his argument with Charlene and when he storms out of his house.
- Tattooed Crook: Sports two tattoos on both his arms.
Roger Van Zant
Roger Van Zant