Characters / Gosei Sentai Dairanger
Ryō/Ryu Ranger | Actor: Keiichi Wada
- Badass: The most powerful warrior in the team, he was also the one who killed Shadam. Not to mention having probably the most out of suit fight than the others, owing mostly to Keiichi Wada having trained at martial arts and his genuine martial arts talent.
- Fans always debate if he is the most powerful Red Ranger in history. So, yeah.
- Dual Swords: Sekiryu Soryūkennote
- Instant Expert: After his first henshin, Ryō is suddenly this when it comes to chi power and fighting.
- Law of Chromatic Superiority: He's the son of the legendary Choryu, and thus a descendant of the Dai tribe. His KiDenJuu, RyuSeiOh, can also face off and beat enlarged Gorma Monsters; in fact, he's the first Super Sentai warrior to have his own Transforming Mecha.
- The Leader
- Luke, I Am Your Father: He's the son of Iron-Face Choryu, who's first introduced as a servant of the Gorma Monster Archbishop Saw.
- Motion Capture Mecha: Ryuseioh
- Playing with Fire
- Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs: Ryusei Senkōnote
- Rookie Red Ranger: He was one of the last Dairangers to join. Subverted with Instant Expert.
- Shirtless Scene: Occasionally goes into this, and when he does, boy is he ripped.
- Signature Move: Inazuma Enjohanote
- Training from Hell
Daigo/Shishi Ranger | Actor: Tatsuya Nōmi
- Fingerless Gloves: Seems to wear them whenever he's not working.
- Good Thing You Can Heal: In contrast with his hot-bloodedness, Daigo's the most likely of the heroes to meditate his way to awesome on his own.
- Groin Attack: Uses one rather blatantly early on.
- Hot-Blooded: In a loose cannon sort of way. This is a guy who gets sucked up by a Gohma and then punches his way out. When he gets angry, expect awesomeness to follow.
- Large Ham: Old!Daigo seems to run on this.
- The Lancer
- Master of Illusion: Has created illusionary doors, tanks, cops, Yamanote-sennote trains, Kujaku on a tricycle... And they all hurt.
- Mundane Utility: He once used Ki to flip out his Aura Changer, rather than pull it out himself.
- Real Men Wear Pink: In contrast to all the tropes mentioned in this section such as Hot-Blooded and Unstoppable Rage, put Daigo in front of children or animals and watch him turn into the kindest man with the most ridiculous faces you will have ever met.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Sensitive Guy to Shōji's Manly Man
- Signature Move: Kirigakurenote
- Simple Staff: Shishi Konbōnote
- Unstoppable Rage: Daigo runs on this, especially in episodes featuring him.
- What the Hell, Hero?
Shōji/Tenma Ranger | Actor: Ei Hamura
Kazu/Kirin Ranger | Actor: Keisuke Tsuchiya
Rin/Hōō Ranger | Actress: Natsuki Takahashi
Kō/Kiba Ranger | Actor: Hisashi SakaiGorma Tribe
Lieutenant Colonel Gara
Once Kujaku's childhood friend that got a scar in exchange for saving her life from many years ago. Thinking that Kujaku had betrayed her, she joined Gorma and trapped Kujaku in a Mirror Make-up Artist. She's revealed to have died long ago in a battle after she joined Gorma and became an angel in heaven.
- Book Dumb: Gorma Emperor XV asks why it's taking so long for them to conquer one tiny island. Zydos has no idea what he's talking about.
- The Brute: While he does fit the personality and rank of this trope to a T, he also subverts it, by coming up with several clever plans on his own. Said plans often involve manipulating people's emotions. The only problem is that he always seems to underestimate people he is trying to manipulate.
- The Corrupter: Gave Jin the means to become a devil Gorma boxer.
- Large Ham: Whenever Zydos opens his mouth, you can almost certainly expect him to ham it up.
- Psycho for Hire
Emperor Gorma XV
The childish and mentally unstable leader of the Gorma Tribe. He generally keeps to the background, as he rather plays games with his court than actively command the fight against the Dairangers.
- Actually a Doombot: He actually is an artificial living clay construct secretly created by Shadam after the real emperor died 6000 years ago. He was to be used by Shadam in a complicated scheme to become emperor himself.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Obviously has no realistic vision of the world and treats everything like a childish game. Even when a gigantic Dragon God threatens to blow up earth if the Gorma and Dairanger keep fighting, the Emperor doesn't take the much needed ceasefire seriously, and continues his attack, thinking the Dragon won't notice it. Much like a child thinks he can do naughty stuff if his parents look the other way.
- Orcus on His Throne: He doesn't really do much of anything aside from playing games (although he did bring Akomaru back from Hell).
- Psychopathic Man Child: He generally acts like a child in an adult body during all of his appearances, but his subordinates take him really seriously when addressing him, as he tends to be able to really hurt you when disappointing him.
- Jerkass: Humiliates Shadam to the point that Shadam becomes a *Butt Monkey* to the Gorma Palace attendants.
General Shadam's first
son and one of the Gorma Generals. He was killed by a falling rock and resurrected by the emperor.
He's later revealed to be Kō's older twin brother.
- Brother Brother Incest: Not that serious, but Akomaru says to Kou "did you like holding my hand back then Kibaranger?"
- Enemy Civil War: Seems to have this with his father Shadam.
- Enfante Terrible: And how. Most of this is likely attributed to his father Shadam's mistreatment of him.
- Jerkass: His final plan was to blackmail Ko to join the Gorma with his mother's life. When he did not comply he blew her away so Ko could never find her again and slightly rubs it in his face before he dies the first time
- Missing Mom: Subverted. She was captured and held by Gorma the entire time. He used her as hostage in fact
- Manipulative Bastard: In one episode we see Ko befriend a new girl attending his school who has an abusive mother. She pinches her, makes her buy dinner on her own, and shows disregard for her kidnapping when Ko caught her playing tennis leisurely - she outright makes a commentary that "mothers like her exist". Sounds over-the-top and forced right? That's correct because both mother and Ko's friend were the Ring Priestess and Akomaru in disguise. It was all a plot to get Ko to despise his mother and become a Gorma from his hatred.
- Royal Brat: Got to have a high position in Gorma due to General Tenpou raising him after Shadam abandoned him. While Shadam's abusive treatment warrants understanding for Akomaru's temper he still gets annoying with how he constantly eggs his father to the point he dares him to hurt him. Also he cuts Shadam's face with a feather while he was having a victory toast.
Jin Matoba/Demon-Fist Master Jin
A martial arts master who likes to prove his strength by challenging and killing other martial arts masters. Jin later receives dark powers from Zydos, who wants to use him as a lackey, but makes it clear he listens to no one.
- Badass Normal: Has no special powers in his first few appearances, but manages to easily defeat Ryou, who is empowered by Kiryoku.
- Empowered Badass Normal: After being defeated by Ryou, he receives a power boost from Zydos, giving him the ability to use Youryuku.
- Bolivian Army Ending: At the end of episode 39 a heavily wounded Jin walks into Zydos and a large squad of Mooks. He is seen beating the shit out of a lot of them, but the final shot of the episode consists of Jin being shot at.
- Involuntary Shapeshifting: Zydos manages to turn him into a skeletal werewolfish creature named Garouki.
- The Rival: To Ryō.
- Worthy Opponent
The wise but stern mentor and founder of the Dairanger team. He is secretly a high ranked member of the Gorma tribe, but defected before the series start.
- Broken Pedestal: When the Dairangers discover he is secretly a Gorma member, he becomes this for them, but only temporarily.
- Rebuilt Pedestal: Once the Dairangers discover his true intentions, he becomes their pedestal once more
- Defector from Decadence: Is secretly a member of the Gorma Tribe, but left them, because he could not agree with their way of life.
- Fake Defector: Pretends to return to Gorma as it was one of the terms of a ceasefire created to prevent Daijinryuu from blowing up the planet.
- Foreshadowing: Early on, it is revealed he is able to use Youryoku, a dark power normally only used by Gorma Tribe members. As the series progresses, he easily enters the Gorma palace and on speaking terms with the Gorma Emperor, which actually a high honor that is usually reserved for the highest ranked Gorma members. And then the reveal: Kaku was a high ranked Gorma all along, but defected before the series start....
- The Mentor: to the Dairangers.
- Mentor Occupational Hazard: He does downplay this trope a bit, as he only dies near the finale of the series, meaning his death is not the motivation for the heroes to fight the bad guys
- Mr. Exposition: He almost always tells the Dairangers about what kind of Gorma Monster of the Week they are fighting now, explaining what their strengths and weaknesses are. It is very logical he knows these things, as he was part of Gorma a while ago
- Stern Teacher: When one of the Dairangers messes something up, Kaku either reprimands them heavily or coldly commands them to stay behind when the rest of the team goes to battle.
- The Stoic: Always appears to be emotionally distant. Even when facing great danger.
- Walking Spoiler: The secret this guy carries with him causes almost all of his tropes to be spoiler-tagged.
Kameo (Super Mythical Qi Beast Daimugen)
- Baleful Polymorph: Gets randomly turned into a turtle after touching a magical crystal.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: appears to be an overweight socially awkward man with an obsession for turtles. In reality, he is the most powerful Qi Beast of them all; Daimugen
- Humongous Mecha and Transforming Mecha: Is actually a Qi Beast, capable of transforming from a mechanical turtle to an enormous bulky robot.
- Odd Friendship: Forms one with Kazu. Kazu is a popular beautician and ladies man, while Kameo is an overweight loner with a strange obsession for turtles.
- Meaningful Name: 'Kame' is Japanese for turtle; an animal he really really likes. He also is a very powerful Qi Beast in the shape of a giant turtle.
- Reluctant Warrior: Turned himself into a human and erased his memory as a Qi Beast because he has a severe dislike of fighting. Once his best friend Kazu is in severe danger of dying, he accepts his identity as Daimugen once more
- Turtle Power: Has an obsession with the shelled reptiles, to the point of owning dozens of them as pets and even taking several of them with him in his pockets when he goes out. His real form is also a giant mechanical turtle, bringing literal Turtle Power to the team.
- Walking Spoiler: Not as bad as Master Kaku, but the whole point of his character is based around the secret he carries, meaning much of his tropes are spoiler tagged.
Kou and Akomaru's mother
Kou's missing mother, who is revealed to be a captive of Akomaru.
- Damsel in Distress: Her primary role, to the point this is her defining character trait.
- Large Ham: Almost all of her appearances result her in dramatically shouting her son's name. Up to Narmtastic levels.
- Living MacGuffin: She could be replaced with a magical hamburger and the writing would only need minimal changes to still work.
Daijinryu (Great God Dragon)
A dragon god who's tasked to keep the peace across the universe. And since the battle between the Gohma and the Dairangers threatens to distrupt that peace, he comes to earth to interfere. Unfortunately, Daijinryu has no allegiance between good and evil, and is even willing to wipe out humanity to stop the conflict between the two factions.
- Above Good and Evil: Literally. Its task is to preserve peace. Concepts like good and evil are alien to it.
- Blue and Orange Morality: As mentioned before, this being does not think in terms of good and evil as we do. Instead, it thinks more in terms of order and chaos. Order is so precious to Daijinryuu that it casually kills thousands of people to send out a simple warning.
- The Dreaded: Daimugen, one of the most powerful allies of the Dairangers, is terrified of this creature when it appears in one of his visions.
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: Is very clearly intending to do this if the battle between the Dairangers and Gorma tribe does not stop.
- Eldritch Abomination: A rather mild example in terms of looks, as it clearly resembles an Asian Dragon. But it's way of thinking and power is incomprehensible to both sides of the conflict.
- Jerkass Gods: Destroys a large chunk of Tokyo just to prove it is serious in carrying out its task.
- Mass Hypnosis: Is also one of the powers in his powerset. He easily hypnotized the population of Tokyo and forced them to jump from high buildings. Once again, just to warn humanity the war between the Dairangers and Gorma Tribe needs to stop. Now.
- The Omnipotent: Nothing in the Dairanger's and Gorma Tribes arsenal has any hope of even scratching this creature. In fact, he almost crushed the Dairangers' mecha when they tried to fight them. The only reason why this didn't happen, was because Daijinryuu stopped on its own volition.
- Our Dragons Are Different: In this case, a dragon is 500 meters long, being easily able to stomp on the mecha of the Dairangers, has godly powers, and is tasked to preserve peace.
- Physical God