Characters: Ghost Sweeper Mikami
Voiced by: Hiromi Tsuru (JP), Connie Madera (Latin America)
- The Ace
- Action Girl
- Bad Boss
- Berserk Button: Losing money, cockroaches (tries to nuke her own office when she sees one) and Yokoshima's death(s).
- Combat Pragmatist: Saijou's a rank amateur compared to her.
- Cool Car: Drives a red AC Cobra in a few episodes.
- Even the Girls Want Her
- Fiery Redhead
- Jack-of-All-Trades: Her profile states that she's very proficient with all kinds of occult weapons and items. And we mean all of them.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Very greedy and self centered and is certain to overprice her services a lot while paying her employees peanuts. That said, she does care for her companions' life and goes berserk or nearly has a Heroic BSOD when Yokoshima is killed and genuinely cares for Kinu's well-being. There was also instances where she chose to not do her job and get the money.
- Greed: She could easily take that spot in the pantheon of this site.
- Meaningful Name: Shiina came up with her name as an oblique reference not just to the goddess Aphrodite, but also the financial headaches Japan was going through when the manga was first published. Guess which character obviously avoided getting hit with problems...
- Ms. Fanservice
- Onee-sama: Meiko sees her as this. Or more.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!
- Tarot Motifs: VI Justice
- Time Travel: Her family from her mother's side has this as an ability that's triggered by lightning.
- Tomato Surprise ((It turns out that her existence began in the Heian era as the artificial demon Mephistopheles. It helps explain why she's Chaotic Neutral, for starters...)
- Tsundere: Type A. She lets down her guard against Saijo, Kinu and her family. She is also arguably a type B since she's her harshest around Yokoshima who's her love in her former life and also supposedly her future husband.
Voiced by: Ryo Horikawa (JP), Moisés Iván Mora (Latin America)
- Chivalrous Pervert: He'll do whatever it takes to help the girls who care for him. Not too many of them around, unfortunately, thanks to the 'pervert' part.
- Combat Pragmatist: Not to Mikami's level, but he can be surprisingly resourceful.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Acts like a perverted idiot most of the time, but plenty of people have noted how tenacious he is at getting a glimpse of some booty (though he fails most of the time) and people like Shouryuuki and Mikami's mother have noted his incredible growth potential which, according to the latter, surpasses even Mikami and Saijo. Heck, he managed to almost beat Mikami during his special training (he had aready beaten twice the number of monsters Mikami did on that same training her first time around), only losing due to hesitation. Heck, even in the first chapter clearly stated that has enormous spiritual powers. Also, he was the one who delivered the killing blow to Astaroth.
- Determinator: As long as it involves girls. Otherwise...
- Dirty Coward: ...he turns into this.
- Hidden Depths: His old friend noted that those who actually took the time to know him will appreciate his good qualities. He did attract at least 3-4 ladies that we can see, after all, some of whom were supposed to be his enemy.
- Idiot Hero: Between TNA and his life, its always TNA.
- Generation Xerox: He may not look like his parents too much, but his developing relationship with Mikami bore such a startling similarity to his parents' that Mikami became worried on a subconscious level...
- The Chew Toy: Barely a file goes by without him falling prey to Amusing Injuries or some other aggravation, whether because of Mikami's neglect, his own overactive libido, or whatever else the cosmos thinks it'd be fun to visit on him. Even after he saves the day.
- Iron Buttmonkey: The only thing that seems to work on him is cutting and stabbing attacks...
- Weirdness Magnet: Lampshaded by Mikami how he attracts all kinds of female supernatural beings. Ironically enough, this includes her past self...
- Future Me Scares Me: Was incredulous at how competent his future self was.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Like you wouldn't believe.
- Meaningful Name: Although Ironic Name would work better—Tadao means "loyal husband". Considering how he'll try to convince just about every other attractive female around his age to help him lose his virginity...
- One file reveals that, yes, he got married to her 10 years later.
- Tarot Motifs: XII the Hanged Man
- Took a Level in Badass: Eventually learns to fight on his own with his spiritual lightsaber and small spiritual balls that can create any effect as long as they're one kanji long. His future self can travel through time on his own power, which not even Mikami and her mother, whose super-special ability is to travel through time, can do.
Voiced by: Takeshi Aono (JP), Rubén León (Latin America)Mikami's device that spins around and points in the direction of spiritual energy.
- Adaptation Expansion: Narrator for the anime adaptation, where he gets a shaku (ritual baton) when speaking to the audience.
- Awesome Anachronistic Apparel: An old-fasioned doll wearing an eboshi hat.
- Catch Phrase: "guru guru" (spinning)
Okinu/ Kinu Himuro
Voiced by: Mariko Kouda (JP), Mariana Ortiz (Latin America)
- Astral Projection: After she is revived, she gains this ability. Unlike most examples, she can still move objects.
- Back from the Dead: After Shizumo-hime is slain.
- Cute Ghost Girl: At least until after Shizumo-hime is slain. Then you can drop the "ghost" part.
- Nice Girl: Hands down the kindest person in the series. She's so nice Yokoshima never tries to do his stuff on her.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Put on a Bus: For a while.
- Tarot Motifs: XVII the Star
- Tsundere: Type B. Only Yokoshima can bring that out in her.
Voiced by: Michie Tomizawa (JP), Gisella Castillas (Latin America)
- Action Girl
- Ambiguously Brown
- Awesome, but Impractical: Her attack style depends on a lengthy ritual that leaves her open to attacks while she's doing her ritual dance.
- Biker Babe: Emi's frequently seen with her motorcycle, and seems to be the only one in the cast who owns one.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Poor Pietro...
- Dance Battler: Well, she doesn't actually fight while dancing, but it's an integral part of her rituals.
- Deal with the Devil: When she first began (unofficial) ghost sweeping at the age of 15, she did so with the aid of a bound demon named Belial. Shiina never explains in the sidestory what happened to Belial between then and the main series, when we see him locked up.
- Hidden Depths: Her backstory is surprisingly serious and tragic.
- Hitwoman with a Heart: Eventually leading her to quit, apparently.
- Parental Abandonment: They died when she was ten.
- The Rival: To Mikami.
- Tarot Motifs: II the High Priestess in the manga, XX Judgement in the anime.
Voiced by: Takeshi Aono (JP), Hector Reynoso and later Carlos del Campo (Latin America)
- Dirty Old Man: Gets along well with Yokoshima...as long as he's not using him as a lab-rat...
- Honest John's Dealership: Rule #1 when shopping: Do not let him foist untested prototypes on you.
Voiced by: Shigeru Chiba (JP), Miguel Ángel Sanromán (Latin America)
- Defeat Means Friendship: He was presented as an enemy to Mikami at first, but two defeats and one case where they need to work together makes him a more neutral character.
- Mayfly-December Romance: He abjured a relationship with Princess Maria precisely because he knew he'd outlive her, and she deserved a more mortal mate. Nonetheless, he made sure her image lived on as the mystic robot Maria.
- Mad Scientist: Hooo boy...
- My Skull Runneth Over: Because his brain has become completely full with information, learning something new means that one of the earliest things still remembered gets overwritten. It really says something that he can understand how the Tenshi Luopan works at first sight, but at the same time forgets what 2+2 results in...
- Also, he can't remember how to build Maria.
- If the dream at the end of the series is true he eventually he does manage to mass produce androids. But in a somewhat bitter-sweet turn he has also forgotten about his past adventures with Mikami and company.
- Older Than They Look: One arc shows him as a strapping 'young' man...who's at least 200 years old.
- I Used To Be A Looker: Not too bad on the eyes when he was younger.
- Perpetual Poverty: He's practically the poster child.
- Really 700 Years Old: He's been around since before the dark ages, apparently.
- Tarot Motifs: IX the Hermit
Voiced by: Wakana Yamazaki (JP), Martha Ceceña (Latin America)
- Action Girl: Well, Action Robot Girl...
- Ridiculously Human Robots: Although it makes sense here, since she was designed in part as a memorial to an old acquaintance of Dr. Chaos's. Played with when a love potion makes her fall in love with Yokoshima and tries to kiss him... with a metal head and enough force to destroy concrete walls...
- Tarot Motifs: VI the Lovers (with Dr. Chaos) in the manga, XV the Devil (with Dr. Chaos) in the anime.
Voiced by: Kumiko Nishihara (JP), Diana Pérez (Latin America)
- The Beastmaster: She has a retinue of twelve shikigami under her control, but no thanks to her complete lack of self-confidence, it's very easy for her to lose control over them. When that happens, Anything standing around her turn into ruins.
- Berserker Tears: She cries and her Shikigami goes ballistic...which happens a lot.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: She could function somewhat normally in society, but when Nightmare invades her mind, he has no idea what goes on in her head...so much so he had to abandon his attempt.
- Eastern Zodiac: Her shikigami use the Japanese names for the Twelve Heavenly Generals.
- The Ojou: Her family is incredibly rich.
- Older Than They Look: Meiko's mother was pregnant with her before Mikami's parents even met. Yet you could be forgiven for thinking she's a little younger than Mikami.
- Person of Mass Destruction
- Shrinking Violet: Self-confidence is a severe rarity in her bloodline.
- Tarot Motifs: XIV Temperance
Father Kazuhiro Karasu
Voiced by: Kazuyuki Sogabe (JP), Carlos Iñigo (Latin America)
- Badass Preacher: In his youth. Also note that this is Mikami's teacher.
- Covert Pervert: Possibly in the film, when he sees Emi fawning over Peter, he cries a bit out of jealousy, lamenting his oaths.
- Nice Guy: Like Kinu, one of the nicest guy in the series. Not so when he was younger, though.
- Proto-Otaku: In the GS Mikami '78 arc, he is seen playing the original Space Invaders and takes offense at Mikami's mother branding fans of Space Battle Ship Yamato and Star Wars, as well as cosplayers, as weirdos.
- Smoking Is Cool: In 1978, that is. Suffering more than usual trying to climb the Sunshine building got him to swear off of it, though.
- Stupid Good: According to Mikami.
- Tarot Motifs: V the Hierophant
Pete/Pietro de Bloodeau
Voiced by: Toshiyuki Morikawa (JP), Luis Daniel Ramírez (Latin America)
- Bishōnen: Officially the best-looking guy in Yokoshima's True Companions.
- Calling the Old Man Out
- Hot Blood
- I Hate You, Vampire Dad: No, not for the vampirism. The whole island country Pete belongs to is populated entirely by vampires. Pete's more upset about his father's megalomania and insanity, stupidity, and senility than anything else.
- Shout-Out: "Vampire Sho Ryuu Ken", anyone?
- Stupid Good: Veers into this territory sometimes thanks to his Hot Blood.
- Tarot Motifs: IV the Emperor (with Count Bloodeau)
- Fountain of Youth: That needle of his lets him turn people into little children...whose fear he can then incite...
- Monster Clown
- Rodents of Unusual Size (The true form of Piper)
- Weaksauce Weakness: His little helpers are very susceptible to baby jokes. He himself fears cats.
Voiced by: Wakana Yamazaki (JP), Irma Carmona (Latin America)
- Christmas Cake: Well, she's Really 700 Years Old. It's her interactions with Mikami and Yokoshima (the former called her granny) that creates this situation.
- Evil Counterpart: To Shouryuuki
- Lady of War
- Reincarnation: During the battle on the moon, she had to do this after getting shot by Mikami. She did it by performing mouth-to-mouth on Yokoshima and nearly going out Chest Burster style into a younger, "fresher" version of herself. Also resurrected in the battle against Astaroth.
- Tarot Motifs: XII Death
- Animate Inanimate Object
- Fantastic Racism
- Clingy MacGuffin: She's stuck to her desk.
- Ordinary Highschool Student: She wants to be one, except, you know...see above.
- Action Mom
- Bad Ass: She's stronger than Mikami in most of her appearances.
- Combat Pragmatist: Even more than Reiko.
- Knight Templar: Has no qualms implementing some pretty extreme strategies, including killing off Mikami if need be.
- Time Travel: The main reason the demons were after her.
- Does Not Like Women: He doesn't really hate them, he's just really shy and afraid of losing control of his libido when around them.
- The Big Guy: Among Yokoshima's True Companions and just big, period.
- Large Ham
- Master of Illusion
- Ocular Gushers: Does this a lot in his first appearance.
- Tarot Motifs: 0 the Fool (with Tadao)
- Blood Knight: His primary motivation for joining Medusa was to fight strong enemies.
- Battle Couple: Him and Yumi.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Unlike Innen and Kankuro, Yukinojou is very careful with the Masoujutsu from the beginning. Under no circumstances will he let it persist to the point that he risks getting corrupted into a demon. Later on, he decides that he needs more power than that, so decides to find an alternative form of spiritual armor that doesn't have the corruption risk—in other words, not derived from demonic energy.
- Heel-Face Turn: He gets so thoroughly disgusted with the lengths Medusa will go to achieve her goals that he renounces her, and ultimately even upgrades his infernal-energy armor into a less dangerous version with Hanuman's help.
- Momma's Boy: Yukinojou flat-out idolizes his mother and her zealous care for him, to the point that Kankuro, Yokoshima and Mikami think it crosses into incestuous. Later on, it turns out his mother died when he was young, giving the reader something to potentially temper that problematic image with.
- The Rival: Considers Yokoshima as this. Turns out he was Yokoshima's rival Tamiya racer when they were kids.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Unlike Yukinojou, he gets completely corrupted. Thing is, it's pretty clear that that's what he wanted.
- Depraved Homosexual: Really into Yukinojo, to the latter's horror.
- Villain Decay: In his final appearance, he was beaten by Yukinojo in less than one panel.
- Bad Ass: The entire GS troop couldn't take him down the first time they fought him.
- Everything's Better with Samurai
- Lolicon: Is mistaken for this by Yokoshima.
- Genki Girl
- Petting Zoo People: An inukami, in this case meaning that Shiro has a dog's fangs and tail while in humanoid form.
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up: Adsorbing some of Yokoshima and Mikami's energy to heal actually accelerates Shiro's maturation by a few years, in the process revealing that "he" is actually a "she".
- Samus Is a Girl
- You Killed My Father: Shiro's motive for chasing down Inukai.
- Biseinen: Apparently was a Bishōnen and, as implied by Marin, Really Gets Around...
- The Ace: Was introduced as this and, as the series goes on, was shown to be a capable leader.
- Combat Pragmatist: Odd when you consider his proclaimed devotion to justice, until you realize that he's more worried about just results than just means.
- The Rival: With Yokoshima for Mikami's affection. It's a holdover from their previous reincarnation.
- Name's the Same: She has the exact same name as the eponymus title character of one of CLAMP's recent works?
- Nice Girl: On the same level as Kinu. She's the only character who has never said anything negative about other people.
- Ocular Gushers: Thinking about her family's poverty usually does this to her.
- Perpetual Poverty: Her family was cursed with constant poverty through a binboukami. It didn't exactly help that, until they met Yokoshima, the binboukami's attempts to turn himself into a kami of fortune never got anywhere.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: When he has his hat on.
- Split Personality: Becomes a Nice Guy when his hat comes off.
- Cute Monster Girl
- Eyes Do Not Belong There: See all those eyeball accessory looking things all around her body, on her arms, dangling from her ears? They're all real eyes. But she's cute, so we're not complaining.
- Meaningful Name: Her name literally means "100 eyes", and she's basically a scout unit who can see great distances.
- A God Am I: He certainly acts like this towards his minions, and becoming the sole god of the universe is his ultimate goal. Well, one of the two goals he's willing to accept, at least...
- Bad Boss: Poor Dogura, even if it is a restorable automaton...
- Big Bad: Though the series doesn't actually have one, he's probably the next best thing since a lot of the series' important events revolve around his actions, and his arc is easily the longest.
- [[spoiler: Death Seeker: Ashtaroth couldn't handle the fact that his role as a demon, to maintain the flow of chaos and generally keep the universe from stagnating, meant that he'd be vilified more often than not. As far as he was concerned, there were only two acceptable alternatives—rewrite the whole of reality to his whims, or this.
- Empty Quiver
- Put Them All Out of My Misery: Basically, the combination of his two goals means that either he goes, or the universe that causes him so much pain goes.
- Expy: Despite his name, he more closely resembles Songoku/Sun Wu Kong.
- Stealth Mentor: His method of training involves playing fighting video games with his students for months on end...
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Her spiritual ability is to punch out supernatural beings.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Comparatively speaking, her and Yumi, once Okinu reconciles them.
- Alpha Bitch: Until Okinu gets her to see things from Ichimonji's perspective, that is.
- Battle Couple: Her and Yukinojou.
- Black Eyes of Evil: Sparkling Black Eyes, at that. Not really evil though. It's actually a dig at the Bishojo Genre of the era, which features such eyes prominently.
- Ojou: Her family's pretty rich and quite well known in GS circles.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Ichimonji and her...Well, Yumi could be girly if you squint.
- Training from Hell: She can't stand the idea that the super-rigorous training Touryu exorcists go through is not the minimum of rigor required to be a good GS, sparking her acting like the Alpha Bitch at first, especially when Ichimonji gets Mikami's respect.
- Hot Witch
- Through His Stomach: Her exorcism methods include cleaning and cooking up super-delicious and nutritios food.
- And Call Him George: Although the threat to Yokoshima and Hyakume doesn't come directly from Papilio, but rather her other pets, who include the likes of Kerberos. Yes, she expects them to get along just fine.
- Animal Motifs: She was made from a butterfly, as her name indicates.
- Bratty Half-Pint
- Heel-Face Turn
- Little Miss Badass: Like her sisters, she can be more than a match for a group of GS working together even when fighting alone.
- Token Mini-Moe
- A-Cup Angst: Brought up a few times.
- Go Out with a Smile
- Heel-Face Turn
- Hologram: Her basic fight tactic involves illusions of herself.
- The Gwen Stacy: For Yokoshima. It's implied she will be reincarnated as his daughter.
- Replacement Love Interest: Inverted. She fears she is one for Yokoshima, but doesn't seem to mind in the end.
- Wrench Wench
- Bratty Half-Pint
- Petting Zoo People: Her tails from her kyuube no kitsune form manifest as her hairstyle in her human form.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Fried tofu, traditionally something that kyuube no kitsune are addicted to in Japanese lore.