Characters: G.I. Joe Film Series
aka: GI Joe Retaliation
The character sheet for the Live Action G. I. Joe Film Series.
open/close all folders
DukeA soldier who joins the Joes in the first movie, the first film's protagonist. Real name: Conrad Hauser.
Played by: Channing Tatum
- Badass: Though not to the level of Snake Eyes.
- Demoted to Extra: Gets killed off early on in the second movie.
- Dull Surprise: Being played by Channing Tatum, this is a given.
- Honorary Uncle: Roadblock's kids call him "Uncle Duke", establishing that the two are close friends.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Sacrifices himself to save Flint in Retaliation.
Gen. HawkThe leader of the Joes. Real name: Clayton Abernathy.
Played by: Dennis Quaid
- What Happened to the Mouse?: We don't know if he was killed during the events of the second movie nor is he ever mentioned in the second movie.
ScarlettThe G.I. Joe team's intelligence expert. Real name: Shana M. O'Hara
Played by: Rachel Nichols
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: For very long, at least.
- Heroes Want Redheads: In this medium, it's Ripcord.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: We don't know if she was killed during the events of the second movie nor is she ever mentioned in the second movie.
RipcordAn soldier who joins the Joes in the first movie, the team's expert pilot. Real name: Wallace Weems.
Played by: Marlon Wayans
- Race Lift: Was white in all canon before the movie (i.e., the cartoon series from the 1980s and 2000s and the action figures that corresponded to the cartoons).
- What Happened to the Mouse?: We don't know if he was killed during the events of the second movie nor is he ever mentioned in the second movie.
Snake EyesAn American who studied martial arts under the Arashikage ninja clan, taking a vow of silence. He is the rival of Storm Shadow. Real name: Classified.
Played by: Ray Park
- The Big Guy: Shared with Heavy Duty (from the first movie) and Roadblock (from the second movie).
- Cool Mask: To the point that it covers his face and head completely.
- DeterminatorBaroness: He gave up.Storm Shadow: He never gives up.Their car explodes
- Expressive Mask: In a final gag for his last scene in the first film the sculpted lips on his mask are switched from their neutral expression to a smile (It was either that or letting him talk).
- The Faceless: In the second movie, they got rid of the lips on his mask, as it proved distracting to the audience and to reinforce the fact that he never speaks.
- Fake Nationality: Though he never talks, Snake Eyes is played by the Scottish Ray Park.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Subverted. He only beats Storm Shadow (both as a child, and in the climax) when he switches to bladed tonfas.
- McNinja: Is the world's best ninja despite being American. In a bit of a subversion, the world's second best ninja seems to be Korean.
- The Quiet One: The low sigh he utters at Storm Shadow's apparent death is the most he's ever said in any continuity.
- You Killed My Master: Why he wants to take down Storm Shadow.
Heavy DutyThe field commander of G.I. Joe and the team's heavy machine gunner. Real name: Hershel Dalton.
Played by: Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje
- The Big Guy: Shared with Snake Eyes and Roadblock (from the second movie).
- Expy: Of Roadblock (who later appeared in the second movie).
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl"Don't make me shoot a woman."
BreakerThe Joe's communications specialist and hacker. Real name: Abel Shaz.
Played by: Saďd Taghmaoui
- Character Tics: Chews a lot of bubblegum while on missions.
- Fate Worse Than Death: After the Paris incident, he's been exiled from French soil for as long as he lives.
- Race Lift: Was white before this movie, now he's a Moroccan Arab.
Cover GirlThe team's special weapons officer and Personal assistant to Gen. Hawk. Real name: Courtney Kreiger.
Played by: Karolína Kurková
- Demoted to Extra: Many didn't even realize she was supposed to be Cover Girl.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Courtesy of Zartan.
Sgt. StoneG.I. Joe's special operations instructor who teaches combat training. Real name: Geoffrey Stone IV.
Played by: Brendan Fraser
- Expy: Sgt. Stone seems to be a replacement for professional wrestler Sgt. Slaughter. Oddly, he's not the first Expy of him, with Beachhead having also filled the role.
- He also aligns with multiple "Lt. Stone" characters in Joe cartoons and comics.
- Identical Grandson: According to Brendan Frasier, he's a descendant of Rick O'Connell.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Surprisingly, he seems much more pleasant than most iterations of the Joe's Drill Sergeant.
Gen. Joe CoultonThe original G.I. Joe, who helps out Roadblock, Lady Jaye, and Flint.
Played by: Bruce Willis
- Crazy-Prepared: He's got a lot of weapons hidden in his kitchen, including a pair of grenades hidden in a bowl of fruit.
- Intergenerational Friendship: Develops one with Lady Jaye.
- Retired Badass: "President says I can't come out of retirement. They didn't say anything about reenlisting."
RoadblockG.I. Joe's infantry heavy weapons specialist and cook. Real name: Marvin F. Hinton.
Played by: Dwayne Johnson
- Black Best Friend: To Duke, but not as much as Ripcord. More like black good friend.
- The Big Guy: Shared with Snake Eyes and Heavy Duty from the first movie.
- Composite Character: His background has several elements from Stalker in the comics, such as being involved with a gang when growing up in the city, being best buddies with Snake Eyes, and having kids.
- Gatling Good: His Weapon of Choice.
- Genius Bruiser: He's not only strong, but he's also pretty smart and good at coming up with strategies.
- The Leader: Takes up the role after Duke's death.
Lady JayeThe covert ops specialist and the only female member in Roadblock and Duke's squad in G.I. Joe: Retaliation. She is also a guns specialist. Real name: Jaye Burnett.
Played by: Adrianne Palicki
FlintSpecial Forces Warrant Officer in Duke and Roadblock's Squad. Real name: Dashiell R. Faireborn
Played by: D.J. Cotrona
- The Lancer: To Roadblock following Duke's death.
- Race Lift: Mildly, as he's played by Hispanic-American actor D.J. Cotrona.
Played by: Joseph Mazzello
JinxAnother ninja in the service of the G.I. Joes. She is Snake Eyes' protege. Real name: Classified.
Played by: Elodie Yung (G.I. Joe: Retaliation)
- Ascended Extra: Had a brief cameo in G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, but becomes one of the main Joe characters in Retaliation.
- Dressing as the Enemy: Disguised herself as a Cobra red ninja to get close to the Cobra Commander, Firefly and Zartan along with Storm Shadow, who was going after Zartan because he murdered the Hard Master.
- Fake Nationality: Played by French Actress of Asian descent, Elodie Yung.
- The Quiet One: Though she has a few lines, unlike Snake Eyes, she's relatively taciturn.
The Doctor/ Cobra CommanderOne half of the Big Bad Duumvirate of the first film, which makes sense because he's the Big Bad of the franchise. He assists McCullen in his evil plans, but secretly has plans of his own. Real name: Rex Lewis
Played by: Joseph Gordon-Levitt (G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra); Luke Bracey (Body), Robert Baker (Voice) (G.I. Joe: Retaliation)
- Badass Longcoat: Sports one in Retaliation.
- Cool Helmet: Once he becomes Cobra Commander. More so in Retaliation, where he dons his classic mask from the cartoon.
- Cool Mask: The Doctor has one to assist with his breathing.
- Composite Character: Is a merger of Doctor Mindbender and Cobra Commander.
- Evil Sounds Deep / Guttural Growler: When he puts his mask on... it is downright satanic. This especially goes for the sequel.
- For Science!: The Doctor's motivation for all the evil he does seems to be this.
- Large Ham / Evil Is Hammy: Even before he becomes Cobra Commander, he had his hammy moments. He's a bit calmer in Retaliation.
- Mad Scientist: Oh hell yes! For one thing, he creates the Vipers.
- Non-Action Big Bad: Downplayed. While he does leaves the dirty work to his Vipers and McCullen, he does use his tools in wanting to torture Duke. Which makes sense since Rex blames Duke for his apparent death.
- The Starscream: He succeeds in overthrowing Destro as well.
DestroThe other half of the Big Bad Duumvirate of the first film, though more of The Heavy. A weapons designer and founder of the Military Armament Research Syndicate (MARS). His terrorist agenda sets up the movie's plot. Real name: James McCullen XXIV. Destro's company manufactures 70% of the world's armaments.
Played by: Christopher Eccleston
- Big Bad Duumvirate: With The Doctor, which later becomes The Dragon when The Doctor's true intent is revealed and becomes Cobra Commander.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Has DeCobray's husband killed and tries to have Duke turned into a Viper. Destro does not like having rivals.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: He refuses to tell Duke his whole plan, which allows Cobra to continue it in the sequel.
- The Heavy: While he's one half the Big Bad Duumvirate, Destro's a bit more proactive than The Doctor.
- Karmic Transformation: After being badly burned, he was forced to have a face of metal, just like his ancestor. Though this is nanotech metal and not actual metal.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: To quote Cobra Commander in the sequel, "Sorry Destro, you're out of the band".
The BaronessCobra Intelligence Officer who married a wealthy European aristocrat before she has Storm Shadow kill him/ Real name: Ana Lewis aka Anastascia DeCobray.
Played by: Sienna Miller
Storm ShadowMember of the ninja clan Arashikage, trained under his uncle, the Hard Master. He is the rival of Snake Eyes. Real name: Thomas Arashikage.
Played by: Byung-hun Lee
- Back from the Dead: He returns in the sequel with no explanation how he survived after falling to his apparent death, though was treated at a hidden mountain fortress to be treated for severe burns in the sequel.
- Badass: He's more than capable of going toe-to-toe with Snake Eyes.
- Bifurcated Weapon: Can combine his two swords into a double-bladed one.
- Disney Villain Death: He survives though and appears in the second movie.
- Dressing as the Enemy: In his introduction in the second movie, he pretends to be Snake Eyes so that he can break into the German facility and free Cobra Commander.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Killing women disgusts him."For you, Zartan, I make an exception."
- Heel-Face Turn: Pulls one off to help the Joes go after Zartan, who was in fact, his master's murderer. Doubles as a Mythology Gag where he defected to G.I.Joe once
- Highly Visible Ninja: Possibly in contrast to Snake Eyes' all-black suit, he wears one that's all-white.
- Which kind of makes sense because in Japan white is the color of death.
- Interchangeable Asian Cultures: Sort of. His last name is Japanese, but his actor's ethnicity (as well as the fact that he spoke Korean as a kid) implies he's actually an adopted Korean.
- I Surrender, Suckers: He willingly gets himself caught as Snake Eyes, and even after being revealed to be Storm Shadow, he pretends his heart rate has gone down so that he can get out of the capsule and free Cobra Commander.
- Sixth Ranger: To Roadblock's team in Retaliation. following his Heel-Face Turn.
- Steven Ulysses Perhero: His last name is Arashikage, which means "Storm Shadow".
- Throwing Your Sword Always Works: How he kills Zartan in Retaliation.
- Tranquil Fury: After Zartan's murder of his master is uncovered, he goes into this state and doesn't come out of it until after he kills Zartan in revenge.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: Is disgusted by the murder of Cover Girl.
- You Killed My Master: Why he goes after Zartan in the second movie.
ZartanA master of disguises who thanks to The Doctor's experimentation can shapeshift. Real name: Classified
Played by: Arnold Vosloo, Jonathan Pryce (when he's pretending to be the President of the United States)
- Actor Allusion: A couple of references are made to The Mummy Trilogy.
- Arc Words: Him whistling "Jolly Good Fellow."
- The Bad Guy Wins: By the end of the first movie, he has taken over the presidency of the United States of the America by impersonating the President (and keeping the real President detained). In the second movie, he annihilates most of the G.I. Joes.
- Dragon-in-Chief: In Retaliation, Zartan is the President of the United States and puts most of the plot in motion, but he still answers to Cobra Commander.
- The Heavy: In Retaliation, while Cobra Commander is the Big Bad, Zartan is the most prominent antagonist in the film and he does more to set Cobra's evil plan in motion.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: In the second movie, thanks to Storm Shadow.
- Karmic Death: He murdered a female GI Joe member in front of Storm Shadow, a man who's disgusted with killing women, and one movie later he gets killed by the same man who he killed the woman in front of because he murdered his master.
- Kick the Dog:
- His murder of Cover Girl.
- The second movie reveals that he murdered Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow's master, the Hard Master, and framed Storm Shadow for it.
- Laughably Evil: Has his moments in the second movie while disguised as the President. Including one scene where he plays Angry Birds on his phone.
- Master of Disguise: Appropriate, considering his actor's previous role. To the point that he's American President.
- Psychopathic Man Child: While posing as the President, he loves making Incredibly Lame Puns, hanging out with celebrities, and playing games on his smartphone.
- Walking Spoiler: It is hard to describe Zartan and how vital he plays to Cobra's plans.
Doctor MindbenderA scientist in McCullen's employ who developed the nanomite technology and trained "The Doctor" in the field. His current status is unknown. Real name: Unknown.
Played by: Kevin J. O'Connor
- Decoy Antagonist: A lot of fans familiar with the mythology expected the Doctor to actually be the Rise of Cobra version of Doctor Mindbender. Only at the end, was it revealed that the Doctor is actually Cobra Commander.
- Demoted to Extra: More of an inversion. The character was never intended to have a name, and was only there as a plot device for The Doctor's path to darkness. After the fact, they realized he could easily be Mindbender and threw his name in for the fans.
Played by: Ray Stevenson
- Dragon Their Feet: After the main antagonist Zartan is killed, Roadblock is left to deal with Firefly while Cobra Commander makes his escape on a helicopter.
- Flipping the Bird: Does this in one scene with both fingers!Zartan: Firefly! It's good to know we're not running low on crazy. Still all 10 fingers?'*Firefly waves his fingers toward Zartan's face, then flips him off*
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Roadblock kills him with his own bomb.
- Weapon of Choice: Particularly prominent in Retaliation are his tiny robotic bombs, which fly and have glowing tails, just like actual fireflies.
The President of the United States of America
Played by: Jonathan Pryce
- Kill and Replace: Subverted. Zartan only replaces the President, but doesn't kill him. He was needed for retinal scanning to authorize the US nuclear football.
- You're Insane!: To Zartan when he shows what the nanomites are capable of for his disguise when he slices his face with a knife.
Warden Nigel James
Played by: Walton Goggins
Played by: Gerald Okamura
- Death by Flashback: He only exists in a flashback, but his death is what kicks off the rivalry between Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Not by Storm Shadow, but by Zartan, who frames the former for it.
- Parental Favoritism: He seemed to have favor Snake Eyes rather than Storm Shadow while they were growing up and being taught martial arts.
Played by: The RZA
- Blind Weapon Master: Its in his namesake, after-all. Though he is blind from a past event, he still able to teach other students in the way of martial arts.