Characters: Engine Sentai Go-onger
Engine Sentai Go-onger
Sosuke Esumi/Go-on Red | Actor: Yasuhisa Furuhara
- Anime Hair
- Beauty Mark: A quite noticeable one under his right eye.
- Catch Phrase: "Mach ______" (most frequently "Mach Speed")
- Comedic Underwear Exposure: Poor guy goes through this a lot, the most notable time being in GP15.
- Cool Sword: Road Saber
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass
- Disney Death: In GP 35-36.
- Dub Name Change: "Maha" in the Korean dub.
- "Freaky Friday" Flip: In GP 12, with Hatsuden (Generator) Banki.
- Friend to All Children
- Idiot Hero
- Invincible Hero: Averted in GP 8 as an Aesop. While helping Speedor recover from a bad rust, Sosuke kept believing that a miracle will happen, since they're the heroes; nothing happened. In the end, he decided to make miracles happen, rather than waiting for them.
- Law of Chromatic Superiority: As per Super Sentai tradition, gets the Kankan Bar and the Ancient Engines.
- The Leader
- The McCoy
- Mr. Fanservice: Oddly enough. Throughout the season he appears in various states of undress, most of them Played for Laughs given the nature of the show.
- On the flip side, his actor, Yasuhisa Furuhara, starred in an idol DVD that plays with this trope a lot more seriously than in Go-onger itself.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Hiroto's blue.
- During Shinkenger vs. Go-Onger, he's the red oni to Takeru's blue oni.
- Serious Business: Though not to the extent of some other Rangers, since he does it mainly as a parody of 60s' Japanese daytime dramas.
- Ship Tease: An early episode hinted that he might have romantic interest in Saki when he became worried about her spending time with a man outside the group (who, it turns out, she was asking for advice on how to defeat the Monster of the Week). He eventually gets heavy Belligerent Sexual Tension with Miu.
- Signature Move: Saber Straight
- Stock Superpowers: During the events of both Go-onger team-up movies, Sosuke uses a power that derives from the opposing team.
- Taken for Bronze: In GP 35-36. He gets better though.
- Wink Ding: Does this in Samurai Sentai Shinkenger VS Go-Onger right after introducing himself to the Shinkengers◊.
Renn Kosaka/Go-on Blue | Actor: Shinwa Kataoka
Saki Royama/Go-on Yellow | Actor: Rina Aizawa
Hant Jo/Go-on Green | Actor: Masahiro Usui
Gunpei Ishihara/Go-on Black | Actor: Kenji Ebisawa
- Badass Longcoat: Subverted. Donning a trenchcoat led him to be mistaken for a drug dealer.
- Butt Monkey: Eventually took the role from out of Hanto's hands.
- By-the-Book Cop
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Somewhere down the road, a few brain cells dropped dead. By Shinkenger vs. Go-onger, any sanity he might have had left was apparently on vacation.
- Cool Guns: Cowl Laser
- Dub Name Change: "Alex" in the Korean dub.
- Jumped at the Call: Desperate to become a Go-onger to the point of stealing the Engine Casts. It's only when he agrees to hand them back that Bomper decides Gunpei has a strong sense of justice, and allows him and Hanto to become Go-on Black and Green.
- Ki Attacks: Ganga Ganga Dan, during the events of Go-onger vs. Gekiranger.
- The Lancer
- Real Men Hate Sugar: Subverted; after having a taste of a cake that Saki made (after Sosuke declared it to be delicious), he eagerly took a piece, saying, "I don't like sweets, but I'll have this."
- In the finale, he tells Saki that he looks forward to the day when she opens her own cake shop. YMMV whether he has developed an appreciation for Saki's cakes and sweets, or if he is merely being a supportive friend.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Manly Man to Hanto's Sensitive Guy.
- Serious Business: When he starts interrogating the employees at Ren's inn to learn about his past with the petrified Banki shrine, you know a line is being crossed.
- Signature Move: Laser High-Beam
- The Stoic
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- Terrible Artist: He is terrible at drawing. In GP 16, we see his drawing of a penguin, which looks like anything but.
Hiroto Suto/Go-on Gold | Actor: Hidenori Tokuyama
Miu Suto/Go-on Silver | Actor: Yumi Sugimoto
The partners of the Go-Ongers, hailing from the Engine World. In order to survive on Earth they need to separate into Engine Casts, miniature versions of their true Engine forms, and Engine Souls, which are cartridge-shaped objects that store the soul of an Engine. When the Engine Casts are reunited with the Engine Souls, the Engines are brought back to full size for ten minutes, after which they risk rusting.
- Animal Mecha: Mixed with Cool Car (for Speedor, Bus-on, BearRV, Gunpherd, and Carrigator), Cool Bike (Birca), Cool Plane (Toripter, Jetras, and Jumbowhale), or Cool Train (Prehistoric Engines).
- Hour of Power
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Their chibi holographic projections.
- Roger Rabbit Effect: Even as holograms, their cartoony forms clash against the live action environment.
- Sleep Mode Size: Engine Casts.
- Soul Jar: Engine Souls.
- Verbal Tic: Either a syllable of their respective names or an associated onomatopoeia. Even the non-speaking Prehistoric Engines have their roars counted as these by their verses in the ending.
BearRV | Voice actress: Miki Inoue
Carrigator | Voice actor: Kyousei Tsukui
Toripter | Voice actor: Shizuka Ishikawa
Jetras | Voice actor: Kiyotaka Furushima
Barbaric Machine Clan Gaiark
Earth Pollution Minister Yogostein | Voice actor: Kiyoyuki Yanada
Earth Pollution Vice-Minister Hiramechimedes | Voice actor: Kazuya Nakai
Water Pollution Minister Kegalesia | Actor: Nao Oikawa
Air Pollution Minister Kitaneidas | Voice actor: Mitsuaki Madono
Cleaning Minister Kireizky | Voice Actor: Eiji Takemoto
- Big Bad: For all of two episodes, though, like the three main ministers, was a lower rank than Yogoshimacritein.
- Chekhov's Gun: The Infinite Wastebin, which Yogoshimacritein uses to arrive in Human World.
- Disc Two Final Boss
- Filler Villain: His only important impacts on the plot are being revealed to have the ability to "clean" Braneworlds and having the Infinite Wastebin.
- Knight of Cerebus: Less so than Yogoshimacritein, but still much darker and formidable than the main three ministers.
- Vile Villain, Saccharine Show: Once again, less so than Yogoshimacritein.
Prime Minister Yogoshimacritein | [-Voice actor: Kiyoyuki Yanada-]
Pollution President Batcheed | Voice actor: Banjō Ginga
- Big Bad: Of Shinkenger vs. Go-onger
- Bigger Bad: Mentioned in the final episode as the missing President of Gaiark who was hidden in Cowboy World and he's above Yogoshimacritein.
- Verbal Tic: "-de aru"