The main protagonist of the Ranma ½
series and the protagonist of the story. A master of Super Natural Martial Arts
who has strength, speed and abilities far surpassing those of a normal human and attracts bad luck and weirdness wherever he goes. After his climatic battle with Saffron at Jusendo and the whole failed wedding fiasco, Ranma was given the sadistic choice
to either be expelled from Furinkan High or go through a humiliating death trap
by Principal Kuno, he chose the former. As fate would have it
, instead of focusing on his training or getting a job to earn his keep, as he intended, he was "invited" to attend Youkai Academy for rehabilitation after destroying a mountain during his fight with Saffron.
During his first day at Youkai Academy he meets another human, a timid boy named Tsukune Aono, who becomes his best friend and confidant, and together they gain many friends and enemies and have countless adventures while trying to stay alive in that Boarding School of Horrors
. After a while, they attract the attention of the Enforcers, a corrupt student police force who were more interested in using their authority to oppress the students over of protecting them and Ranma became one of their main targets. After a series of battles, Ranma, Tsukune and their monster allies were able to defeat the corrupt protection committee, with the pig-tailed man administering the final blow to their leader Kuyo. Ranma then becomes the Vice-Captain of the New Protection Committee, with Tsukune becoming the Captain, since no one wanted Ranma with that position
Like his canon counterpart, Ranma is still a contradictory character, though his positive traits show a bit more since adventures are more serious and the people around him are more forgiving and comfortable around him. He believes the strong should protect the weak and has romantic notions of heroism, however he is very insentitive and rude getting on many of his friends' nerves. He is also somewhat human-centric and takes great pride in being a human who can fight monsters because of his martial arts training, so it becomes a berserk button
when someone calls him a monster, since it implies his strength is just monster power
- Most of the time, Ranma is very laid-back and usually friendly to those around him; he even lends a sympathetic ear to those who are having problems like Kurumu. He also believes its a martial artist's duty to protect the weak from those who would take advantage of them, whether they be monster or human. He is also pretty forgiving to those who've caused him trouble like Kana and Inner-Moka.
- On the flip side though, Ranma can be a major Jerkass to friends and foes alike and ruthless when inclined. At the start of the story, he was ready to stake Moka through the heart after she sucked Tsukune's blood for the first time and admitted that he didn't like vampires when she asked, before even getting to know her (though in Ranma's defense, he had no good experiences with the undead). He also came close to blasting Kurumu into the ground with his Moko Takabisha, only stopping after Tsukune got between them. While he does get better as the story progresses, Ranma is still obnoxious and insulting even to close friends like Moka and Kouma.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Ranma can be this at times. Unlike most, he can back it up.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: He's still attractive in both forms. His female form is destribed as very beautiful (Tsukune notes her as: not as cute as Moka, but more developed). There are some male monsters who, depending on whether she was naturally a guy or girl, would like to date her. Even Tsukune rates her, on a scale of 1-10, to be a 10, tying with Moka and actually beating Kurumu, who got a 9. There are many female monsters that find his male form attractive (such as Kana, Yukari and Mizore) and there was even one instance where he was almost taken by force by Tobaki.
- Berserk Button: Calling him a monster after he tells you, to your face, that he is a human. He feels insulted that the monsters believe his strength and skill come from monstrous power and not the arduous, decade long training he went through. Only Tsukune, Moka and Fran Madaraki believe his claims. His Unwanted Harem still believes that he is anything BUT a human.
- Big Brother Instinct: Ranma towards Tsukune, and possibly towards Moka, Kurumu and Yukari; it works since Ranma is eighteen years old while the others are around fifteen, except Yukari, who is eleven.
- Blood Knight: Ranma likes a good fight now and then, despite Moka's complaints.
- Boobs of Steel: Kurumu described Female-Ranma's breasts as almost as magnificent as hers.
- Braids of Action: One of Ranma's most recognizable traits.
- Brains and Brawn: The brawn to Tsukune's brain.
- Brutally Honest: Most of it at Moka's expense, though he can lie and sometimes even pull it off.
- Bully Hunter: This is one of his main jobs as the Vice-Captain of the New Protection Committee.
- The Cape
- Cassandra Truth/ Ignored Confession: Everytime Ranma says he's human everyone treats it like a joke, or that he's delusional or brain damaged.
- Celibate Hero: Though he sometimes act like a Chaste Hero around Kana and Mizore.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: Ranma can go toe-to-toe with some of the worst monsters in the school because he went through Training from Hell for most of his life and he's damn proud of it.
- Chick Magnet: Still attracts girls, even if they are monsters.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome
- Combat Pragmatist
- Crystal Dragon Jesus: Ranma's spiders see him and by extension all of humanity as Gods and actually worship him; Ranma is completely unaware of this. Believe it or not, Ranma actually gave the spiders a better afterlife by marrying Satan's daughter Lucy.
- Curse: His gender-bender curse of course. Also during his prank war with Yukari, he was hit with an accidentally fatal bad luck curse.
- Danger Sense: He also has a 'Shampoo Sense' for predicting when he's about to be hit by a bicycle out of nowhere, which he uses to dodge Moka's surprise entrance leading to her hitting Tsukune like in the series.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Determinator: Ranma hates losing and never backs down from a fight or challenge even if it's against insanely powerful opponents like Richard, Rikishi or Inner-Moka. Even if the challenge is ridiculous like the prank war with Yukari, Ranma won't back down until his opponent is beaten, gives up or (and this hasn't happened in the fic yet) until he is knocked out.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: He once spun himself like a human top while fighting Chopper and practically rearranged the troll's face. He also used his Hiryu Shoten Ha to beat Kuyo with one strike.
- The Fettered: As a martial artist, he restrains himself if need be. This is one of the things that seperates him from the monsters. In a sense, this is one of the few human qualities he has.
- Five-Finger Discount: He went around all of his teachers' desks and stole things from them to be used later like Jadeite's stress ball and the Dark Liege's soul shards.
- Flaw Exploitation: Ranma uses this against Rikishi (pulling his arms out of their sockets) and Inner Moka (use of water). Comes with being a practitioner of the Anything-Goes School of Martial Arts.
- Gag Boobs: In his female form.
- Gag Penis: If Kurumu and Moka's reactions were anything to go by.
- Gender Bender: Ranma, obviously. Moka and Kurumu finding out about it is absolutely hilarious, see entry under Gag Penis.
- Genre Savvy: Ranma's practically seen everything by now.
- God Emperor: Of his spiders.
- Good Is Not Nice
- Hair Colors: Male (Black) and Female (Red).
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Tsukune.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: At the very least Kouma thinks it's hilarious.
- In Harm's Way: Ranma's attitude in the beginning as it takes place at the end of his manga series (but at the start of Rosario Vampire) and he can't stand the return to the mundane and dreary life of school without people trying to kill him. He gets his wish soon after.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While he may be rough around the edges, he's more than willing to kick the ass of anyone who threatens his friends. See also the aftermath of his fight with Kana in chapter 2.
- Ranma almost always has good intentions. But not only is he incredibly socially awkward, he is a Heroic Sociopath who, while having normal morals in regards to protecting innocents, defending the weak, and so on, at times demonstrates a value system that meshes a little too well with that of the average monster. He even talks about this with Fran at one point.
- Kamehame Hadoken: Ranma's Moko Takabisha
- Lightning Bruiser: While not exactly the best when it comes to brute strength in this setting, he's still incredibly strong, enough to even lift a boulder and tall as himself, hold it for a few seconds, and throw it without being winded in the slightest. He has an extremly high level of speed, able to move as a 'red and black blur' and can punch in a single spot hundreds of times so fast it looks like a single punch, like what he did to a sand bag in the Fight Club. His stamina and endurance is also very high, able to take a clean hit from Inner-Moka in the chest, which knocks out most monsters with the first kick, and still keep on fighting.
- No Social Skills: Even the monsters are better at this than him.
- The Protagonist: If it weren't for the prologue being dedicated specifically to him, this troper would have thought that Ranma shared this trope with Tsukune.
- Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs: Ranma's signature attack.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red Oni to Tsukune's Blue Oni.
- The Blue Oni to Kouma's Red Oni.
- She-Fu: A heavy basis of his fighting style in either form.
- Submissive Badass: As he pointed himself, he doesn't have the will or interest to proact and it's quite content to fight for "Peace, Justice and Stuff" in Tsukune's name. In fact he thinks Youkai Academy is a lost cause and only joined the Committee to keep Tsukune safe.
- Super Speed: Ranma all the way, most characters only see him or his fists blur out of existence or don't even perceive him moving until the hit connects. Riza Wildman asks him to hit a punching bag as fast as he can, it instantly winds up across the gym with Tsukune swearing he didn't even see him move. Wildman chides Ranma a bit, but Ranma explains that he hits things so many times in the same place so quickly that his fastest hit and his strongest hit are pretty much the same thing.
- Super Strength
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: While he makes a few more exceptions in this fic, this is still one of his number one rules and will usually avoid using lethal force.
- Tranquil Fury: In this fic, when Ranma is extremely angry or is going to fight all out, he turns from arrogant and annoying to cold and deadly.
- Trickster Archetype: Ranma is showing shades of this. While he is not at all book smart, he is very cunning, and in this fic, he stole the Dark Liege's soul shards and Jadeite's stress balls from their desks to use against them later. He also went toe to toe with Yukari (a genius} in the prank war.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Moka and thinks he's this with Kouma.
- Weak, but Skilled: Ranma is obviously far from weak, but he tends to have less in the way of raw power than anything that could actually challenge him, but he's also hands down the most skilled fighter at Youkai Academy and probably the most experienced as well.
- Weirdness Magnet
- Why Did It Have To Be Cats: Ranma's fear is cats; so he is training giant spiders to hunt them.
- Would Hit a Girl: Ranma is more likely go all out against monster girls than human girls, but in these cases it's justified since these girls have little to no problem with killing you in cold blood or worse.
The main protagonist of the Rosario + Vampire
series and the deuteragonist of the story. Tsukune was just an all-around average human boy, from his looks to his grades which were not good enough to get into a good high school. One day his father found an application to Youkai Academy and with nowhere else to go, Tsukune took it. On his first day of school, Tsukune met the strange, yet couragious young man Ranma Saotome, who quickly became his best friend and the friendly vampire Moka Akashiya, who Tsukune fell in love with at first sight. Unlike Ranma, Tsukune had a hard time adjusting to the monster school at first but thanks to his friends he was able to adapt and become much needed voice of reason to the heroes.
After a number of adventures, Tsukune became involved with the Enforcers, the corrupt student police force of Youkai, and was almost kidnapped by them to lure Ranma into a trap. After this, Tsukune got fed up with the Protection Committee's corruption and organized a revolt against them, successfully overthrowing Kuyo. After the battle Hokuto Kaneshiro, the Student Council President, appointed Tsukune as the new Captain of the Protection Committee for his ideals of justice and not wanting to give the position to Ranma.
Kind and forgiving, with an excellent perspective on human rights and moral philosophy, Tsukune works with his friends to make Youkai Academy a safe place for all monsters to learn peaceful coexistance with humans.
- Action Survivor: He had to adapt very quickly to survive in Youkai Academy.
- Badass Pacifist: At least for now.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Tsukune's one and only ability and probably the greatest force in the Universe. It's easy to underestimate this until you realize that the world is composed of one half a group of sociopathic, rapist, mass murderous monsters without a smidge of empathy and the other came from a Rumiko Takahashi standard comedy shows just how special Tsukune is. About 90% of the protagonists and side characters are loyal to him because of this.
- Book Dumb: Tsukune, despite having average grades, demonstrates in recent chapters that he is actually pretty cunning, evolving not just into The Strategist, but the True Companions' leader.
- Boy Meets Ghoul: Meets vampire really.
- Brains and Brawn: The brains to Ranma's brawn.
- The Cape
- Chick Magnet: Not as much as Ranma but having the two most beautiful girls in school, Moka Akashiya and Kurumu Kurono, after you is nothing to sneeze at.
- Character Development: Started out as timid and weak as his canon counterpart but quickly became more confident and assertive, using his brains instead of his brawn to fight his opponents. This helps him when he becomes the new Captain of the Protection Committee.
- Covert Pervert: Around Moka and Kurumu.
- Da Chief
- Deadpan Snarker
- Deuteragonist: The story focuses on his point of view almost or just as much as Ranma's.
- Distressed Dude: Subverted. Tsukune is often victimized by the monsters at Youkai, so usually Ranma and/or the girls have to help him. In this fic, however, there are many instances where he uses his wits to outsmart his opponents such as when he tricked an enforcer into making cat noises so the spider on Tsukune's head would attack him, or when he tricked Richard into killing another enforcer when it looked like he and his friends were surrendering (he did feel awful about it afterwards though, the enforcer that was killed was THE Token Good Teammate).
- Guile Hero: Tsukune is a more realistic version of this.
- The Heart: Tsukume role in the series and trying to become this for the Yokai Academy at large.
- Heroic BSOD: He had one for a short time after he manipulated Richard into killing an enforcer.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Ranma.
- Kirk Summation: He is known to do this. Sometimes it doesn't work like with the Holy Dragon and Saffron, but when does work, it shows. The best example would be when he persuaded Ruby to stop her plans for destroying the human city and rethink her views.
- Love at First Sight: With Moka like in canon.
- Morality Pet: For Ranma, who always tries to do right by him.
- Nice Guy: Perhaps the only person in the entire Verse who could be described as this.
- Nose Bleed: Gets these from time to time thanks to Moka and Kurumu.
- Only Sane Man: All the time.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Emphasis on the 'ordinary'.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue Oni to Ranma's Red Oni.
- Ridiculously Average Guy: His description in chapter 1 best sums it up:
"His looks were neither compelling nor unattractive, and he bore absolutely no distinguishing features. In fact, most would say that the most distinguishing thing about him was how unremarkable he looked compared to almost anyone else. His short black hair was clumsily combed into a style that was neither unfashionable nor trendy, and his brown eyes seemed plain and unassuming. His outfit was a normal school uniform, if a nicely pressed one."
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: Tsukune is very strict about this. This was his first rule as Captain of the Protection Committee.
- Token Human: It infuriates Ranma that he's not included.
- Took a Level in Badass: He's become quite unfased by the sheer insanity of Yokai Academy and had grown a backbone and a desire to help others no matter what.
- Unfazed Everyman
- Unlucky Everydude
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: Averted. Tsukune's honesty, tolerance and respect at first hand. That's it, until you realize that this has allowed him to (unintentionally) create the strongest force in the Academy and Obtain the post as leader of the New Protection Committee.
- You Kill It, You Bought It: After the Enforcers are defeated the Student Council President appoints Tsukune as the new head of the Protection Committee...partly for his ideals and partly for 'his general proximity to a guy that can throw giant tornadoes at those who oppose him'. There's also the small factor of nobody wanting Ranma in that kind of position of authority (though Hokuto lets him be Vice-Captain anyway).
The first monster Ranma and Tsukune encounter at Youkai Academy. Moka is a vampire who takes a liking to Tsukune after ingesting his blood, and a dislike for Ranma after learning hearing he was a human who didn't like vampires. Usually very sweet and kind, she helps Tsukune anyway she can while attending Youkai, even if that means putting up with Ranma's abrasive behavior. Later in the story, after Tsukune accidentily removed her rosario for the first time during a fight with the enforcers, Moka's true nature was awakened. The Inner 'Evil' Moka is not only cold and arrogant like her canon counterpart but also vengeful and intimidating, having little to no patience for even Tsukune and the others. Out of everyone, she held the most contempt for Ranma and is always waiting for the chance to defeat and humble the martial artist for his shabby treatment of Outer Moka, even if it meant breaking every bone in his body.
She acts as the Student Council Representative
for the Committee.
Outer MokaInner Moka
- Fantastic Racism: They've both shown varying degrees of prejudice towards humans, though never to the extreme like their contemperaries.
- Outer-Moka hated humans for teasing her in middle-school and Ranma openly admitting he was a human after preparing to stab her through the heart and saying he didn't like vampires didn't help. However she grew out of this after getting to know Tsukune.
- Inner-Moka actually shows less contempt for humans as she practically looks down on everyone. However, she just can't fathom a human, even a highly skilled martial artist, ever being a match for her in battle.
- Jekyll & Hyde: A lot more so than in canon. While Inner-Moka is not necessarily evil, she is very ruthless towards those who offend or even annoy her and she has yet to show any kindness towards anyone. This may be justified in that Inner is hardly ever released and has not had time to form attachments to anyone other than Outer, and even that relationship is rocky at best.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: Outer (light) and Inner (dark).
- Only the Chosen May Wield: Tsukune is the only person who can remove Moka's rosario. The heroes have yet to realise this and have little reason to since they don't trust Inner-Moka yet.
- Power Limiter: The rosario on her neck keeps Evil Moka in check.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Split Personality: Inner Moka is the original while Outer Moka is artificial. Many crazy jokes were cracked at Moka's expense.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Outer-Moka (sugar) and Inner-Moka (Ice).
- Transformation Trinket: The rosario is a variation.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Contact with pure water is like an electric shock.
- Anti-Hero: Type V
- Berserk Button: Ranma is her button. She can't stand him even at the best of times and the implication that he's stronger than her is enough to send her into a rage.
- Breast Expansion: At least a cup size.
- Catch Phrase: "Learn Your Place!" It's too bad some people, with pigtails specifically, refuse to learn.
- Deadpan Snarker: Even more scathing in her criticisms of Outer-Moka than Ranma is. It sometimes gets to the point where Outer has to give her a Big "Shut Up!" to get her to stop, making anyone around them think she's crazy.
- Demoted to Extra: Played with. She was introduced much later in the story than in canon, but afterwards she frequently speaks to Outer-Moka through the rosario and her mind.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Kinda iffy on the evil part, but her voice is described as very deep compared to Outer-Moka.
- Extremity Extremist/ Kick Chick: Relies almost exclusively on kicks during battle.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: Tsukune and Kurumu eventually realize this is why Inner Moka hates Ranma so much: she's afraid she may not actually be strong enough to beat him and more or less sought him out (as soon as she was unsealed, mind you) to prove she wasn't scared.
- Lady of War
- Proud Warrior Race Girl: Very proud and damaging that pride can pretty much earn you an enemy for life, or at least until you are smashed into the ground and utterly humiliated.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- The Rival: The closest thing to a rival Ranma has in this fic.
- Roundhouse Kick
- Super-Powered Evil Side: 'Evil' may be pushing it.
- The other characters certainly think so. The first time she was set free her fight with Ranma destroyed an entire wing of the school and left both her and Ranma in pretty bad shape; since then, she keeps talking to Outer Moka about how much she hates the pigtailed martial artist and the various violent things she wants to do to him. So the heroes are dead set about never letting her out again, no matter how dire the situation is, and she's beginning to become a little concerned about that.
- Super Speed: She can accelerate like a gunshot.
- Super Strength: One of the physically strongest monsters in the entire school.
A busty succubus attending Youkai Academy. Like her canon counterpart she was initially Moka's rival and wanted to steal Tsukune from her out of petty revenge. When this didn't work she tried to kill both of them only to be stopped and defeated by Ranma. Afterwards she fell in love with Tsukune after he persuaded Ranma not to blast her with his moko takabisha and decided he was her 'Mate of Fate'. She is fiecely loyal to Tsukune, following him anywhere if it means getting closer to him, and built up a sound (and surprisingly platonic) friendship with Ranma to go with her friendly rivalry with Moka.
She is the Compliance Squad Leader
for the Committee.
- Action Girl: The strongest girl on the team when Inner-Moka is not around.
- Alliterative Name
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Moka's Betty.
- Buxom Is Better: She certainly thinks so, and takes great pride in her chest size.
- Forceful Kiss: Kurumu does this to Tsukune in After School Session chapter 3. Doubles as a Motivational Kiss as she used allure to cure his stage fright when he had to do a speech in front of the student body.
- Gag Boobs
- Hair Decorations: She only took them off once so far to wash her hair, during a hilariously dangerous period on Witch's Knoll.
- Heel-Face Turn: She was originally an enemy of Moka like in canon. After being defeated by Ranma however, she became one of the most reliable and trustworthy of allies.
- Honor Before Reason: It would be very easy for her to use her allure or a kiss to make Tsukune hers, but she swore to herself that she would seduce him without cheap tricks. Even after spending a whole night sleeping in the same sleeping bag as Tsukune on Witch's Knoll she did not do anything to him.
- Horny Devils: Only towards Tsukune. She's actually very kind-hearted and innocent for a succubus.
- Hypnotic Eyes: Her 'allure' technique, which succubi use to control men.
- Marshmallow Hell: This is her favorite greeting for Tsukune.
- Ms. Fanservice: Whether she wants to or not, Kurumu is most likeliest girl to suffer clothing damage or dress in revealing outfits.
- Nature Abhors a Virgin: If you're a teenage succubus at least. The girls (especially Yukari and Tobaki) really got on her case when they found out she was a virgin.
- Only You Can Repopulate My Race: She's still not sure how succubi are an endangered species, but she is determined to make Tsukune the one man to sire her children.
- Rescue Romance: She fell in love with Tsukune after he stopped Ranma from blasting her.
- Tyrant Takes the Helm: In After School Session Chapter 3, she takes over the school when she was left in charge while Ranma, Tsukune, Kouma, Moka and Yukari were in Hell. She practically turned it into a miniature roman empire with Kana and Mizore as her fanner and drink cooler respectively, and turned most the male students her adoring slaves.
- Winged Humanoid: In contrast to Kana, she has thick, black bat wings. This along with sharp fingernails, is a trait that all succubi share since tails, Pointy Ears, sharp teeth and horns vary between the species because of the erratic mating patterns.
- Wolverine Claws: Can slice through trees, though thick, healthy wood can give her trouble.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
The smartest student at Youkai Academy, and the group's token genius, Yukari is an 11 year old prodigy witch who's taken a romantic interest in Moka and practically hero worships Ranma, who she refers to as senpai. She was originally very hostile towards everyone other than Moka, seeing them as undeserving of her company, but after Ranma challenged her to the infamous prank war she gained a new respect for him. While still abrasive towards most others she more or less became Vitriolic Best Buds
with the other members of the committee and uses her various magical skills to help when necessary.
She is the Intelligence Officer
of the Protection Committee.
- A-Cup Angst: She doesn't dwell on it much but understands (or at least says she does) that her body is not woman enough for Ranma yet.
- Bi the Way: She mostly shows interest in girls but whenever any spicy topic about Ranma's male body is brought up she gladly participates.
- Bratty Half-Pint/ Mouthy Kid: Especially in the beginning.
- Child Prodigy
- Cute Witch
- Death Dealer: Using her tarot cards.
- Drop the Washtub: She sometimes uses this for comedic effect.
- Fantastic Racism: Both a victim and an offender. Monsters looked down on her because she was a witch (to them witches a closer to humans than monsters) and Tobaki openly admitted that they hated her race; some creatures would gladly run down a witch for giggles. Jadeite even compared witches to scum that accumulates in the corner of the pool. This racism wasn't very obvious in the beginning because of Yukari's obnoxious behaviour and love of pranks.
- Yukari has shown prejudice towards humans because she heard stories of witch hunts in the human world and was distrustful of Tsukune after his species was revealed. She's also prejudiced against monstrels in this fic, calling them abominations. She changed her views on humans after a heart-to-heart talk with Tsukune.
- Friendless Background
- Insufferable Genius: She can be this at times.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation
- Killer Game Master: Yukari becomes one near the end of the 'Cities and Cyclists' chapter in 'Big Human on Campus: After School'.
- Nice Hat
- Token Mini-Moe
A Snow Woman who falls in love with Ranma after he saves her from being incinerated by a stray fireball during his fight with Kouma. She stalks him from a distance and acts as Kana's rival for his affection.
She's the Service Representative
for the Protection Committee.
A siren who suffers from extreme shyness which she claims is a defense mechanism from growing up while being a target, and as a result has great difficulty speaking normally despite being a siren. Whenever she is not subject to anyone's direct attention, is very familiar with those around her, or is simply very happy, perturbed, or enraged, she instantly overcomes this obstacle, unleashing her powers to their fullest potential. Ranma is her closest companion, as the pigtailed boy has taken to keeping close enough to hear what she says so that he can tell others when necessary.
She is the Vice-Captain's Aide (self-proclaimed)
A hellhound who was kicked out of Hell, Kouma now attends Youkai Academy to help keep his temper in check. He has two main goals in life, to become a lawyer and kill his father, who abandoned his post and his family to become a pet for the dark elves; this selfish act caused Kouma and his remaining family's expulsion from Hell and into the human world. Kouma was once part of the Fight Club and partnered with Ranma while he was in the club. After Ranma left the club for the Protection Committee, Kouma was dragged along after getting chewed out by Riza Wildma
for not sticking with his partner. Hot-tempered and cantankerous, Kouma has few friends on the Committee but proves his worth time and again against the many foes the committee faces.
He is a Compliance Squad Member
- Angry Guard Dog: Was training to be one in Hell before getting kicked out.
- Antagonistic Offspring: One of Kouma's main goals in life is to get strong enough to kill his father for abandoning his post and his family to be a pet for the dark elves.
- Badass in Distress: He was captured by Lady Oyakata and forced to become her new familiar.
- Berserk Button: He has many but the one that sets him off the most is treating him like a pet.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Besides being a hellhound, this is Kouma's most distinguishable physical trait.
- Burning with Anger: It doesn't take much to set him alight because of his temper but when Kouma gets pushed too far his flames become ground-meltingly hot and concentrated. His breath attack after this can be described as a giant welding torch.
- Butt Monkey
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Evil Lawyer Joke: Kouma (a hellhound) wants to become a lawyer someday. This is lampshaded by many characters.
- Expy: Subverted. Several readers seem to think he's meant to be one of Ryoga, but there are several differences: almost everything that Kouma blames Ranma for really is Ranma's fault in some way, whereas Ryoga simply blames Ranma for his problems because of accidents (which Ryoga is usually partly responsible for), pride, or stupidity. Likewise, Kouma is also more concerned about not hurting innocent bystanders when getting into fights, whereas Ryoga is typically more careless. They both have short tempers and a rivalry with Ranma, though.
- He also seems to have a lot in common with Nora from Nora: The Last Crusade of Devildom, both are short-tempered infernal canines and greatly dislike the partners they were forced to work with. However, like the above example Kouma is concerned about not hurting bystanders and usually much more civil and disciplined than Nora unless provoked. Lastly, Kouma is a hellhound from Hell while Nora is the more powerful cerberus from the Makai (demon world).
- Good Is Not Nice
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Kouma's preferred fighting style while in human form.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: This got him into a bit of trouble in the human world, so he's attending Youkai Academy to help curb it.
- Hell Hound
- Hot for Teacher: Has a large crush on Ms. Wildman.
- No Respect Guy
- Original Character
- Pay Evil unto Evil: This shouldn't come as a surprise as he was trained to be a guard dog of Hell and punish the wicked and sinful. This is best shown when he dragged Lady Oyakata to Hell.
- Playing with Fire
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: He's Red Oni compared to practically everyone, especially Ranma and Gin.
- Smarter Than You Look: The mid-term scores show that he is in the top ten, surpassing even Moka and Tobaki's grades. This is lampshaded by the other characters who, with the exception of Ranma and Tsukune, thought he cheated or threatened a teacher. As it turns out, Kouma studies very hard to be a lawyer, he just doesn't show his intelligent side much because of his Hair-Trigger Temper.
- Smoking Is Cool: Kouma smokes cigarettes to keep his body temperature up.
- Tranquil Fury: After listening to a Ranma-disguised Yukari's insults Kouma went past fiery rage and to a frighteningly calm and powerful state of fury complete with demonic symbols and Ominous Latin Chanting. His attack in this state was devastatingly powerful.
A troll who loves a good fight, Chopper was originally part of the wrestling club but lost a bet with Ranma and became part of the New Protection Committee.
He is part of the Compliance Squad
A holdover from the old Protection Committee who stayed on thanks to her skill at lying and the fact that NOBODY wanted to disappoint Tobaki. Keito is a spider monster (jorogumo) and was Kuyo's Dragon
best known for scheming and manipulating for the enforcers. She fought with the other enforcers and tried to kill Tsukune during his rebellion but ultimately failed. Once the old Protection Committee disbanded she wasted no time in switching sides to not lose her position. It was only because Tobaki put in a good word for her that she stayed as a regular intelligence officer. However, she is by no means loyal to Tsukune and plots to return Kuyo to his post as captain.
Another holdover from the old Protection Committee, Tobaki is a yochlol striving to become a productive and responsible citizen of the human world. Unfortunately for her, she has even less grasp on human morals than most other monsters. She's firmly recast her alignment to "Lawful," and takes rules and regulations very seriously, as they're the closest things she has to a moral compass for decision-making. As a result, she's become a very effective treasurer, although nobody can figure out why she acts so formal and professional whenever she puts on her fake glasses.