- Cliché Storm: Dark elements of the plot aside, the cast is pretty typical for a shoujo series with its clumsy and sweet Genki Girl protagonist and the irritable but charming Bishōnen love interest. But its a shoujo series featuring the Disney Princesses.
- Complete Monster: Valdou is the leader of a race of mechanical humanoids who sees humans as naturally inferior, and leads a coup in the magical land of Paradiso. His ultimate plan is to create a land without any emotions where only machines rule; thousands of human dissenters are captured, brainwashed, or killed in concentration camps. During his search for the Seventh Princess and the Magic Tiara, he brainwashes Kilala's friend Erica to retrieve the tiara, then orders his men to shoot her in the head. After dropping his friendly pretense, Valdou shoots Kilala as she reunites with Rei, then captures the prince and plans to torture him into being thoroughly brainwashed, trying to kill Kilala several times. When he uses Princess Sylphy as a mole, Valdou plans to brainwash her too, and threatens Princess Jasmine's life in the world of Aladdin. His final, most despicable act of cruelty is to set a village on fire, endangering children orphaned under his rule, and mocking Rei over Kilala's apparent death in the blaze.
- Evil Is Sexy: Some of the Disney Villainesses...and Valdou. Plus Sylphy.
- Friendly Fandoms: With the Kingdom Hearts fanbase for its similarities.
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: The guidance counselor blaming Kilalas lack of parental supervision for her rebellious streak is Played for Laughs in the first chapter. Then its revealed Kilalas parents are out of the picture because her mother is ill and they went overseas to look for medical help.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Rei and Valdou are looking for "the seventh princess," with the six Disney Princesses being the first six. It's kinda funny when you consider that technically they should be looking for Pocahontas, Mulan, Tiana, Rapunzel, Merida, Anna, Elsa or Moana.
- Also: six Disney princesses and a seventh being exclusive to a new story...huh? The seventh isn't Kairi?
- A royal trinket giving the titular character the ability to interact with the Disney Princesses and talk to animals. Are we talking about the Magic Tiara or the Amulet of Avalor?
- Kilalas name is written in Hiragana how you would spell Kirara. Come 2015 and we get a princess magical girl series, not only also having hopes and dreams as motifs but also featuring a main character named Kirara. And her name is written in Hiragana as well!
- Iron Woobie: Poor Erica couldnt catch a break, going from being kidnapped to being hypnotized by the enemy. She disappears from the story after the first volume, but then comes back to attend Kilala and Reis wedding.
- Ursula trying to make Rei her husband is absolutely distasteful, but her wedding dress is so hilariously just-as-horrendous.
- After defeating Valdou, Rei runs into the ruins of the church and runs to Kilalas unconscious body. He weeps, believing he has lost her... and then theres Tippe, also unconscious and curled inside Kilalas collar.
- The Un-Twist: Kilala is the princess Rei is looking for. Really, if you know anything about shoujo manga, it should be obvious.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: Almost everyone familiar with Kilala Princess believes the series deserves an anime/movie adaptation.
- Values Dissonance: Kilala kissing Rei, a complete stranger then, believing he needed a "true love's kiss" to wake him up when he really was just sleeping, may turn off some readers.
- Viewer Gender Confusion: Valdou is remarkably androgynous. For the record, he's male.
- What Do You Mean, It's for Kids?: It's a shoujo manga starring the Disney Princesses, but it has remarkably dark moments for its target audience. Rei and Valdou's kingdom Paradiso is revealed to have been overtaken by robots enslaving the human race in concentration camps. The final volume has Valdou setting a church filled with children on fire as a last-ditch attempt, and Kilala running into the inferno to rescue them. They find out later she didnt die, but Rei is so overtaken by grief he unflinchingly slays Valdou.
YMMV / Kilala Princess