High Diving Hare is a 1949 Looney Tunes animated short directed by Friz Freleng. In this cartoon, Yosemite Sam wants to see a high-diving act on the vaudeville stage, but when the diver can't make it, he forces emcee Bugs Bunny to dive instead. Hilarity Ensues.
"Forgot to fill the tropes with water":
- Achievements in Ignorance: How Bugs explains the final gag. See Beyond the Impossible below.
- Bait-and-Switch: When Sam goes off the board the second time, Bugs realizes he forgot to fill the tank with water. He pours some down Sam's path and it makes it into the tank, but instead, Sam lands right next to the tank and through the stage floor.
- Beyond the Impossible: At the end of the short, Sam ties up Bugs at the edge of the diving board and saws it off to guarantee that he'll dive this time. Instead, Sam, plus the platform and ladder goes down, leaving Bugs standing on a plank in mid-air, making him utter the immortal line...Bugs: I know this defies the law of gravity, but, you see, I never studied law.
- Butt-Monkey: Yosemite Sam
- Empty Swimming Pool Dive: Double Subverted. Bugs manages to fill the tank just in time, but Sam misses the tank altogether.
- Gravity Is a Harsh Mistress: Gravity doesn't give Sam any favors.
- Here We Go Again!: Bugs says this when Sam forces Bugs up the ladder again.
- High-Dive Hijinks
- Mind Screw: "I'm not upside-down, doc. You are!"
- Noodle Incident: Near the end, we see Sam go up the ladder and falling down without knowing what tricks Bugs pulled on him.
- Running Gag: Bugs ticking Sam into going off the diving board.
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud: When Bugs fakes his dive, he does a Bomb Whistle followed by yelling "Splash!"
- Sudden Anatomy: The first time Sam tries to get Bugs off the diving board, he saves himself by grasping the board with his toe claws, this being the only time we ever see them.
- Tonto Talk: Bugs does this when he poses as an Indian to lure Sam off the diving board. "Quick! Him go that way! You take shortcut!"
- Waxing Lyrical: Defied. When Bugs puts up a door on the diving board, Sam shouts "Open up that door!", then tells the audience "Notice I didn't say Richard?" This references "Open Up That Door, Richard", a hit song of the time.