"Hillbilly Hare" is a 1950 Merrie Melodies cartoon starring Bugs Bunny. Bugs is vacationing in the Ozarks when he runs into two stereotypical hillbillies who get the idea that Bugs is a member of another clan that they are feuding with. After embarrassing and outwitting the hillbillies in typical Bugs Bunny fashion, Bugs tricks them into a long, elaborate square dance routine in which he gives them increasingly violent directions, until the brothers finally dance off a cliff.
Directed by Robert McKimson.
- Aerith and Bob: The two hillbillies are named Punkinhead and Curt.
- Backwards-Firing Gun: Bugs does this by turning the barrel around after one of the hillbillies pulls the trigger.
- Bowdlerization: The version shown on ABC's The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show back in the 1990s edited out a lot of comic violence:
- The scene where Bugs mistakes Hillbilly #1's gun for a camera and has his carrot shot full of holes was cut.
- The scene where Hillbilly #1 unties his rifle barrel and gets blasted in the face was cut.
- The scene where Bugs meets up with Hillbilly #2, and Bugs reverses the gun barrel so that the second hillbilly is blown up was cut.
- The aftermath of the explosion in the dynamite shack sequence where Hillbilly #1 comes out with Bugs' lit lighter and says, "I think y'all are usin' too strong a fluid!" was also cut.
- The line during the famous square-dance ending that goes: "Grab a fence post/Hold it tight/Whomp yer partner/Wit' all yer might/Hit 'im in the shin/Hit 'im in the head/Hit 'im again/The critter ain't dead/Whomp 'im low and whomp 'im high/Stick yer finger in his eye/Pretty l'il rhythm/Pretty l'il sound/Bang yer head against the ground" (and the ensuing comic violence that follows) was cut.
- The Chew Toy: The hillbillies.
- Deep South: More the Appalachian/Ozarks/backwoods side than the plantation side.
- Disguised in Drag: One of Bugs's go-to tactics, which he uses here to lure the hillbillies into the square dance.
- Eye Poke: Bugs gets the brothers to do this to each other during the square dance routine.Whop him low and whop him high, Stick your finger in his eye, Pretty little rhythm, pretty little sound, Bang your heads against the ground.
- Feuding Families: The hillbillies, brothers from the Martin clan, believe Bugs is one of the Coys.
- Fiery Redhead: One of the brothers.
- Oh, Crap!: The redhead, when Bugs caused his about-to-fire rifle to point at him.
- Overly Long Gag: The square dance takes up the whole second half of the cartoon.
- Packed Hillbillies: Bugs lures the brothers into a hay baler ("just come right out and form a square").
- Palette Swap: The hillbilly brothers have the exact same character design, just with different colors.