Ballerina mafia is the spin off comic of Concession and features a gag a day format.
- April Fools' Plot: Zoe and Ossian have a bit of a prank feud concerning this day. In 2010 Ossian apparently tattooed Marlon Brando on Zoe's back, in response he turned Ossian into a girl in 2011, and the next year Ossia made Zoe think he was a werewolf.
- Author Appeal: Much like with Concession, a lot of the later pages seem to be focused around his personal fetishes: crossdressing, hypnotism, sex changes, etc.
- Bouquet Toss: At Rick and Angie's wedding Matt tries to catch it, only for Joel to knock it away and tear it up.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: In #11 Immy and Shugwar discuss some of each other's annoying habits, like leaving dirty dog dishes out all night, or not cleaning up the Shub-Niggurath sacrificial site.
- Cast Incest: Parodied in-universe in Concession Alternate Endings #2 with Joel and Miranda's "actors".
- Comedic Sociopathy: Shugwar, apparently based on Immy's friend who was the inspiration for Joel, is apparently a serial killer and cultist.
- Easy Sex Change: done as a April Fools' Day joke.
- A Fool and His New Money Are Soon Parted: The 100th comic, right after one where Immy and Shugwar mug a guy with a car full of cash, is drawn in detailed art and shows them living extravagantly until they burn the house down.
- Friendly, Playful Dolphin: Subverted
- No Fourth Wall: The comics with Concession characters have even less of one than the original comic. Example
- Apparently the city-wide spiritual awakening at the end of Concession was responsible.
- Metamorphosis: Immelmann's permanent transformation from wolfrabbit to velociraptor here.
- One-Winged Angel: Parodied in Final Form.
- Screw Yourself: In the Mass Effect jokes arc Immy Shepard and her clone. Especially in the related bonus panel.
- Our Showers Are Different: As displayed in "Showers of the Future"
- Shout-Out: To H. P. Lovecraft's "The Rats in the Walls" (read the Alt Text in particular).
- Surprise Incest: In the time travel arc, in Joel and Artie's temporal prank war Joel first became Artie's father, then turned him into a girl. And then they realized that Joel would have treated a female Artie completely differently and in the new timeline they were married.
- Talk Like a Pirate: The time-travelling pirate character talks like this.
- Time Travel: Joel started wandering time for some reason in a Spelljammer.
Mailman: "So this ancient letter was supposed to be delivered to this address at this exact date and time."
Artie: "You can do that?"
Mailman: "You can if the comic's joke depends on it."
- Time Crash: His cross-time prank war with Artie ends up causing this after he changes the past so Artie is first his son, and then a girl. That drastically changes many events in the Concession timeline causing a big mess where eventually Tyras is called in to make a new Ballerina Mafia timeline separate from Concession, in which it seems Joel didn't run off from Matt and go time traveling, and is a chick.
- Webcomic Time: One night of Immy and his friends hanging out lasted for 13 weekly comics. Lampshaded in the bonus panel for the last comic, featuring Immy and his girlfriend Tsumi texting:
Tsumi: Have fun with your dork friends, baby?
Immy: I feel like this night has lasted three months...