The original comics had many non-original characters, including Fisk (of later series Better Days) and Zig Zag (of earlier series Sabrina Online); Lucy Koneko was originally (and quite obviously) Lucy Black, who had an incestuous relationship with Fisk. (Fun fact: Lucy Black is actually Mat's character, but after Jay Naylor's falling out with Mat, all citations to her original creator were removed from his site.) When the original comics were redrawn for a book, all references to Fisk were removed and Zig Zag was replaced by Rain.
When Mat later needed a twin for Lucy for a few gags, he introduced Lucas, a cartoon voice actor for a cartoon about dead people.
The original series started in February 2002 and ended in October 2005. A brief seven strip run followed in May 2006, and random comics were made as filler until July 2007, when another new version started. That lasted until September 2008, and more occasional comics afterward. In 2009, Mat passed the torch to Kat Smith, who remade the original strips with the intention of publishing them as a book (this never became a reality). Kat left the comic in early 2010, and Mat returned, RetConning the old comics and using the remakes as a launching pad. The comic came to yet another end in October 2010, but in August 2011, Sherer proclaimed via his Twitter (@bdkmat) that he had gotten an idea for how to revive the strip; the revival, a Tumblr "Ask" style blog, debuted on September 5. As of December 2014 the comic has been rebooted yet again.
Because the comic is sometimes NSFW, the above link is to the archive page.
Tropes present in this work include:
- Author Guest Spot
- Bedmate Reveal: During Lydia's birthday party, she finds herself naked nest to Fisk. Thankfully, for her, it was Lucy who undressed her. And then she reveals via a thought bubble that she didn't remove her panties, implying that Fisk did, in fact, have sex with Lydia.
- Brain Bleach: In-Universe example here.
- BrotherSister Incest: Used as a joke.
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: Lydia.
- Creator's Apathy: Parodied in a slew of comics about writing comics without actually doing so.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him / Take That!: Fisk.
- Ethical Slut: Zig Zag (in the old version of the comic only).
- Rain in the new version.
- Expy: Rain, of Zig Zag.
- Furry Comic
- Gilligan Cut: Subverted.
- Groin Attack: Lucy uses this a few times in the comic.
- Happily Married: Lydia and Dirk near the end of the original run and prior to the reboot.
- Hyperspace Mallet: this strip, which also counts as Lampshade Hanging.
- Lampshade Hanging: Plot holes are lampshaded here.
- Off-Model: Parodied.
- Panty Shot: Made fun of in an NSFW strip.
- Really Gets Around: Lydia in high school.
- Relative Error: Lucy overheard Lydia's boyfriend Dirk and another woman declaring their love for each other, and assumed because of the woman's foreign accent that she wasn't related to Dirk. It turned out she was in fact his sister and she'd just been studying in England, and so had picked up the accent.
- Ret-Gone: Fisk and Zig Zag.
- Shout-Out: In your face, Sabrina!
- Spit Take: A Running Gag, but it was averted and lampshaded in one strip.
- Take That!: The 2014 reboot has an arc dedicated to bashing a Fifty Shades of Grey parody.
- Wacky Marriage Proposal: Dirk gets a tattoo saying "Marry Me" as a proposal to Lydia.