Transformers: Earth Wars is a free-to-play mobile phone game developed by Space Ape and Hasbro. Basically, the game is Transformers meets Clash of Clans.
The game's small story mode is written by Simon Furman.
Transformers: Earth Wars provides examples of:
- Authority Equals Asskicking: When you first unlock Optimus Prime or Megatron, they will likely be much more powerful than your other robots at that point, as your starting bots will be of weakest one star variety and the given leader will be a two star version, and leaders have slightly higher stats than other same-level characters. Downplayed later, when you start unlocking three star characters, who can eventually reach higher levels.
- Bribing Your Way to Victory: Not a surprise given the game genre. Crystals are purchasable as consumables and are required to unlock new characters. The game does give you a free crystal every 8 hours (although the characters unlocked this way are almost always of one or two star varieties with a three star version being extremely rare, there are also a large number of boosts and currency in the reward pool for these crystals), and getting good scores in events usually grants a free character crystal.
- Character Class System: Unlocked bots come in a few varieties:
- Warrior - High hit points, (relativley) low damage who operate in melee.
- Gunner - Standard Glass cannon, long range shots but can't take a hit
- Air - Characters who specialise in air strikes.
- Medics - Healers and Support Bots
- Special - The class given to bots who don't fall into the standard categories. They range from Summoners, snipers to scouts (low damage, but with the abilty to dodge cannon and mortar fire) and the leader characters.
- Cosmetically Different Sides: In the same vein as the toys, with a single exception whenever an Autobot is introduced with a new ability expect a Decepticon to have access to the same.
- Crossover: Storyline events starting April 2017 start a storyline involving Optimus Primal and the other Megatron from Beast Wars to join what has otherwise been a fairly pure Generation 1 Roster.
- Also, the October 2019 update adds a new story involving G.I. Joe and Cobra teaming up with the 'Bots and 'Cons.
- Early-Bird Cameo: The final upgrades for base buildings are Metroplex for Autobots and Trypticon for Decepticons. Eventually the actual titans themselves make their way into the story.
- 11th-Hour Superpower: You gain access to combiners on the final SP level set. It's also a Bait-and-Switch, as you only can only use them in a few single player levels. You'll need to unlock 3 star (or 4 for an extra weapon) of all the component bots to actually unlock them permanently.
- Excuse Plot: There's a minor plot involving a MacGuffin that allows combiners to combine. The main gameplay becomes from raiding other player camps.
- The weekly events tend to be full of these moving the story along from one MacGuffin to the next. With each storyline chunk lasting 3-6 weeks, usually ending with an event usually rewarding the bot at the centre of the current plot.
- Godzilla Threshold: Metroplex and Trypticon are treated this way. Despite everything they've done to advantage their side over the other, both Autobots and Decepticons are very hesitant to awaken their respective titans. Only when Unicron comes within a hair of possessing Cybertron itself, do they bring them online. The very next storyline and gameplay feature is about putting them back under.
- Good Colors, Evil Colors: Autobot base machinery is yellow and Decepticon bases focus on purple. Additionally, Autobot bases will always be on a green grassy area, while Decepticon bases are on a barren Desert.
- Mutually Exclusive Party Members: At the start, you need to choose between Autobots and Decepticons. Originally, you'd be stuck to your chosen faction, but a patch added unlockable opponents after you upgrade your HQ to level 8. You cannot put both factions to the same squad, and you will only receive free crystals for your original faction.
- Mythology Gag: There are at least two Furmanisms in the game.