The most well known version is a 3D action adventure game for the PlayStation 2, Nintendo GameCube, Wii, Xbox 360, and PC (Versions for the Xbox and PlayStation were planned, but ended up cancelled). The voice actors of the Turtles would reprise their roles. Gameplay consisted of controlling one of the four Turtles and playing out the plot of the movie, and encouraging co-op. Though it wasn't developed by Konami, the gameplay harkens back to their console games based on the 2003 series.
Versions of the game were also developed for the Nintendo DS and Playstation Portable. Rather than being full 3D action games, these were developed as acrobatic platformers, with special gameplay quirks based on the consoles' unique functions.
Another version was made for the Game Boy Advance. This one was a Beat 'em Up game similar to the original arcade title and Turtles in Time by Konami. The people behind this game would eventually go on to create Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge.
TMNT provides examples of:
- Final Boss: The Stone Generals.
- Forced Tutorial: Each of the Turtles' first levels have a required tutorial.
- Helium Speech: Happens to Mikey during the console version's Cowabunga Carl Getaway. One of the platforming segments is on top of some parade balloons leading to this exchange.Donatello: How are you doing, Mikey?
Michelangelo: (high pitched) I think one of these balloons has sprung a leak!
- Human Hammer-Throw: Well, Turtle Hammer Throw. One ability that can be used upon having at least two turtles in your party is to grab on by his feet and swing him around to clear out hordes of enemies. The commercial for the game even has Mikey use the ability to throw Raph into one of the monsters.
- Jungle Japes: The first level.
- Limit Break: The turtles can use it if their energy meters are full.
- Narrator: Splinter narrates the game.
- Pre-Rendered Graphics: Some of the cutscenes are pre-rendered.
- Pun: After a fight, Raphael can be heard dishing out this little gem:"I shell-dom lose my battles. Heh!"
- Shock and Awe: One of Donatello's abilities has him and another turtle slam the tip of the bo staff to the ground to zap enemies in range.
- Shout-Out: Raph would sometimes say "Here's Johnny!" when he attacks enemies.
- Suddenly Voiced: General Mono speaks English in this game.