Akira Souma believes there are three kinds of people: those who wear glasses, those who don't, and the ladies. He's so convinced of this, that he has founded "Meganebu", a club for glasses wearers, at his school. There are a total of four members: Akira, Takuma, Yukiya, Mitsuki, and provisional member Hayato. Together, they will... show glasses wearers' superiority to the world, or something like that. And build X-ray Glasses.
MEGANEBU! started as otome Drama CDs, later adapted into a Slice of Life Comedy anime for the Fall 2013 season with a different cast. It is directed by Soubi Yamamoto (Kono Danshi series) at Studio DEEN, with character designs by Atsuko Nakajima. This article focuses on the animated version.
MEGANEBU! provides examples of:
- Adaptation Expansion: The original material are Drama CDs after all.
- All Men Are Perverts: The boys' ultimate goal is to build X-Ray Glasses to see through women's clothes.
- Art Shift: Twice so far.
- In Episode 4, Takuma is dreaming. The borders become pastels and the overall coloring is even more saturated.
- In Episode 5, when Akira is remembering why he dislikes praying mantises. It's very creepy to say the least.
- Big Friendly Dog: Mitsuki's dog, Norio-San.
- Bland-Name Product: Yukiya has his yPad. yPod is also mentioned at one point.
- Comedic Sociopathy: Verges into this territory sometimes with its treatment of Hayato.
- Cool Old Lady: The Lunchlady from episode 8. Who turns out to be a published author on nutrition, and a fellow Glasses Wearer.
- Design Student's Orgasm: The animation is very stylish, with strong colors, patterned layers and creative layouts. This is a staple of Soubi Yamamoto's works.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Glasses. Cream puff. Discuss.
- It doesn't help that Yukiya takes a bit with his finger and licks it... quite erotically.
- In Episode 3, we see Akira like this◊. Of course, it's because Kouichi is sitting on his stomach, but still...
- Epic Fail: Every attempt at building the X-Ray Glasses so far.
- Eye Scream: Every time Mitsuki tortures Hayato by poking his eyes through the frames of Hayato's fake glasses.
- Faceless Masses: Every single person that doesn't wear glasses.
- Taken to its logical extreme in the last episode: when they put glasses on, they gain human appearance.
- Gag Series
- Imagine Spot: Akira and Mitsuki have a lot of these.
- Insane Troll Logic: Everyone has their moments, but especially Akira.
- Made of Explodium: Most of the stuff that the club invents.
- Mood Whiplash: While in general it's a wacky comedy show, there are sudden sad moments, like the ends of episodes 3 and 12.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Wearing glasses.
- One-Gender School: A technical all-boys school.
- Opaque Lenses: Given the nature of the series, expect these to come up sometimes.
- Out of Focus: Some or even all of the protagonists are absent in some episodes. Most notable in the second half of Episode 10, which stars the teachers and Tetsuo.
- The Reveal: In the last episode, we learn the real reason why Akira is so determined to build the X-Ray Glasses. His brother is blind.
- Episode 1 references Angel Beats! in the Mission Start! sequence.
- Also in Episode 1, Yukiya does a pronounced head tilt. This may have been done in acknowledgement of the show looking like Studio Shaft's usual style.
- Yukiya does Jojo-like poses in Episode 2. And then in Episode 5 Akira does the Ripple, complete with Written Sound Effects.
- Taken to hilarious extremes in Episode 6 when the five of them strike Jojo poses on the train. As a game to see who falls first.
- Episode 8 references Phoenix Wright.
- The first half of Episode 10 goes crazy with this trope, referencing Jumanji, Harry Potter, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Men in Black all at once.
Mitsuki: I've seen this in a movie!
- And it doesn't go without lampshading.
Hayato: It's because this game rips off a movie too!
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Averted. In this series, they are either Cloudcuckoolanders or just dorks.
- True Companions: Except Hayato doesn't get included most of the time.
- Wham Episode: Episode 3, which delivers an unexpected Tear Jerker after all the wacky comedy.
- Wham Line: One single line in Episode 12 puts Akira in a completely different light:
- Hikaru: Hey, what does Yukiya's smile look like? He never smiled much when I could still see.