In the year 2050, space mining operations are becoming competitive as the Eight Luck Interstellar Development Inc. starts muscling in on other companies in an aggressive manner. The Jin-Sei Corporation teams up with Japan to counteract Eight Luck. It is now up to a few pilots and their advanced space ships to save the day.
Soukyugurentai contains examples of the following:
- Animal Wrongs Group: The violence in the game is blamed on these kinds of groups to hide the truth.
- Asteroids Monster: One stage involves flying through the asteroid belt, complete with asteroids that get blown up into smaller but still-quite-deadly pieces. Of note is that your normal shot is too weak to harm them, but your lock-on will blow them up.
- Asteroid Thicket: The fourth stage is set in the asteroid belt with lots of asteroids floating around. Thankfully these don't count towards the enemy forces' destruction rate if they escape.
- Battleship Raid: The final stage, the High Altitude Relay and Attack plane 'Bakuzan'
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Eight Luck Interstellar Development Inc. builds a whole military force and attacks other companies in order to achieve a monopoly.
- Dynamic Difficulty: It is based on the number of power-up items collected and the percentage of enemies destroyed.
- Evil Counterpart: The final boss has a lock-on weapon just like the player.
- Fighter-Launching Sequence: The launch sequence before the first level takes 9.92 seconds to complete. The next two levels after that has the player ship launching from an Airborne Aircraft Carrier.
- Fire-Breathing Weapon: Third boss is a huge tank with two gigantic flamethrowers that can fire a single stream or even a Spread Shot of them.
- Homing Projectile: All of the homing weapons of the playable characters, and many missiles used by the enemies.
- Humongous Mecha: The boss of stage 4, the General Purpose Strategy Aggressive space craft 'Akitaka'
- Kill Sat: The boss of stage 2, the Anti-Space Anti-Ground satellite Shin-Sen
- Macross Missile Massacre: The boss of Stage 1 does this after you destroy its laser cannons.
- Mega-Corp: At a minimum, the Jin-Sei Corporation and Eight Luck Interstellar Development are this.
- Required Secondary Powers: Each of the pilots has undergone strengthening procedures so that they can survive high-speed dogfighting in deep space.
- Roboteching: The playable characters fire a lot of bending beams.
- Tank Goodness: There are many enemy tanks, but one that stands out as the boss of stage 3 is the Grapple Strategy Attack tank 'Don-Ryu'
- Took a Level in Badass: The final boss of the game is the final form of the very first boss of the game minus the missile launchers... but now with the player's own Lock-On abilities.
Percent Trope Force Remaining: 03%