Mr. Nutz is a Mascot with Attitude platformer created by Ocean Software. It was originally released for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System in 1993, but has since been ported to other consoles including the Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance.
The game is well known for being... unusual, especially where boss fights are concerned.
A follow-up, titled Mr. Nutz: Hoppin' Mad., was released in 1994 on the Amiga in the stead of a failed Amiga version of the original game. After defeating Mr. Blizzard, Mr. Nutz goes on vacation to Peanut Planet only to find the planet invaded by evil alien chickens- throwing the squirrel into another journey across several continents to put a stop to them.
This game contains examples of:
- An Ice Person: Mr. Blizzard.
- Bigfoot, Sasquatch and Yeti: Mr. Blizzard is a rare villainous example.
- Bubbly Clouds: You go from "Volcano Overpass" to walking in the clouds, where you encounter Ogroum Papas.
- Circling Vultures: Parodied with the second boss, a witch vulture riding a broomstick, who will sometimes ride in a circle.
- Convection Schmonvection: One of the levels is appropriately named "Volcano Underpass". As per usual, the magma is only dangerous if you touch it.
- Creepy Circus Music: Little Clown's battle music has this sound.
- Down the Drain: An interesting example in that, instead of a sewer, it's a giant sink.
- Edible Ammunition: Mr. Nutz can throw acorns at enemies.
- Expy: The second boss is a clear Shout-Out to Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, looking like a cross between the Witch and the vultures who stalk her.
- Eye Scream: Ogroum Papas. One of his attacks has him quite literally popping his eyes out of his head to bounce around the arena. They regrow instantly... and then he pops them out again. When he's defeated, his eyes pop out one more time.
- Final Boss: Mr. Blizzard.
- Generic Doomsday Villain: Mr. Blizzard isn't given much of a personality.
- Giant Spider: The first boss is one, though his scariness is hampered by his hillbilly-esque appearance. He still gets some dramatic music for his boss fight, though.
- Goomba Stomp: One of Mr. Nutz's primary attacks.
- Magical Clown: Little Clown can change his size, and also unscrew his own head, causing several Little Clown heads to fly at Mr. Nutz. Destroying all the heads damages the boss, and is in fact the only way to hurt him.
- Monster Clown: Little Clown, the penultimate boss.
- Nothing but Skulls: The witch throws skulls as one of her primary attacks. When defeated, she explodes into a pile of skulls as well.
- Our Giants Are Bigger: Ogroum Papas is so large that his head reaches up into the clouds. He also has the ability to pop his eyes out of their sockets at will.
- Pie in the Face: As you might expect, Little Clown uses pies as a projectile.
- Re-Release Soundtrack: The GBA port had different music than the original SNES and Sega versions.
- Super Not-Drowning Skills: Mr. Nutz is capable of holding his breath indefinitely (his cheeks puff out when he's underwater). The only danger water brings with it is that he takes damage when he touches dirty water.
- Tail Slap: One of Mr. Nutz's three main forms of attack, alongside throwing acorns and jumping on enemies.
- Tentacled Terror: One boss is a creepy giant octopus that sends squid and jellyfish to attack Mr. Nutz.
- Underwater Boss Battle: The giant octopus boss is fought in an underwater room.
- World of Funny Animals: Mr. Nutz and some of the bosses are Funny Animals.