Mr. Nutz is a Mascot with Attitude platformer created by Ocean Software. It was originally released for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System in 1993, but has since been ported to other consoles including the Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance.
The game is well known for being... unusual, especially where boss fights are concerned.
A follow-up, titled Mr. Nutz: Hoppin' Mad., was released in 1994 on the Amiga in the stead of a failed Amiga version of the original game. After defeating Mr. Blizzard, Mr. Nutz goes on vacation to Peanut Planet only to find the planet invaded by evil alien chickens- throwing the squirrel into another journey across several continents to put a stop to them.
This game contains examples of:
- An Ice Person: Mr. Blizzard.
- Bigfoot, Sasquatch and Yeti: Mr. Blizzard is a rare villainous example.
- Circling Vultures: Parodied with the second boss, a witch vulture riding a broomstick, who will sometimes ride in a circle.
- Creepy Circus Music: Little Clown's battle music has this sound.
- Edible Ammunition: Mr. Nutz can throw acorns at enemies.
- Expy: The second boss is a clear Shout-Out to Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, looking like a cross between the Witch and the vultures who stalk her.
- Eye Scream: Ogroum Papas.
- Final Boss: Mr. Blizzard.
- Generic Doomsday Villain: Mr. Blizzard isn't given much of a personality.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: The passwords in the GBC version are modified versions of words. For example, "JMMPPR" ("Jumper," fitting for a platformer) or "CLLRRS" ("Colors"). The password for one level? "DDMMNN."
- Giant Spider: The first boss is one, though his scariness is hampered by his hillbilly-esque appearance. He still gets some dramatic music for his boss fight, though.
- Goomba Stomp: One of Mr. Nutz's primary attacks.
- Magical Clown: Little Clown can change his size, and also unscrew his own head, causing several Little Clown heads to fly at Mr. Nutz.
- Monster Clown: Little Clown, the penultimate boss.
- Re-Release Soundtrack: The GBA port had different music than the original SNES and Sega versions.
- Tentacled Terror: One boss is a creepy giant octopus that sends squid and jellyfish to attack Mr. Nutz.
- Underwater Boss Battle: The giant octopus boss is fought in an underwater room.
- World of Funny Animals: Mr. Nutz and some of the bosses are Funny Animals.