Mickey takes a trip to Tokyo Disneyland, but when he arrives, Minnie informs him that all of his buddies have been kidnapped, and the park has been taken over by none other than his nemesis, the trouble-making Pete. Mickey grabs a dual helium/water pack and a bunch of balloons, and sets off on an adventure spanning across the park's attractions to rescue his friends.
The game plays like a typical 2D platformer. You take control of Mickey as he explores the different attractions around Tokyo Disneyland, but what makes this gameplay stand out is the balloon mechanic. Mickey is armed with balloons, which are actually really effective in practice. Water Balloons are your chief primary throwing weapon, while Air Balloons allow Mickey to attack foes above him, but they're more useful for hovering and flying. Both kinds play a big role in the game, as they're also required for getting around obstacles and solving puzzles.
See also Adventures In The Magic Kingdom, a similar Disney licensed game that involves exploring a Disney theme park with many attractions.
- Amusement Park of Doom: Tokyo Disneyland is the overall setting of the game. It has become this thanks to Pete.
- Balloonacy: The main mechanic of the game. Mickey has two kinds. Water Balloons and Air Balloons. Water Balloons can be used to attack enemies and used to create a makeshift trampoline Mickey can bounce on to reach higher platforms. Air Balloons allow Mickey to hover temporarily, and even rapidly deflated to send Mickey flying at high speeds through the air.
- Big Bad: Pete is back and at it again. He has taken over Tokyo Disneyland and its up to Mickey to save the day.
- Big Boo's Haunt: The famous Haunted Mansion is the fourth level. The final stage, Cinderella Castle has shades of this also.
- Bottomless Pits: Why using the Air Balloon's flight ability may be dangerous.
- Chest Monster: Some of Pete's goons have disguised themselves as Treasure Chests and try to ambush Mickey whenever he gets close.
- Death Mountain: Stage 2 takes place in the Big Thunder Mountain attraction in Western Land. Also has some Gusty Glade elements.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Balloons shouldn't be useful weapons by any measure, but they are.
- Life Meter: Measured by Balloons. Getting hit causes one to pop.
- Jungle Japes: Stage 3. Critter Country. Also has some River of Insanity to go alongside it.
- Never Say "Die": Mickey doesn't have "Lives", but rather "Tries".
- Recurring Boss: Pete shows up as the boss in each stage, with a new get up and attacking gimmick each time.
- Rise to the Challenge: In the beginning of the Haunted Mansion level, Mickey has to scale a long vertical corridor while a massive ghost chases him. Getting hit by the ghost doesn't cost him any health or lives, but he has to start over again.
- Tomorrowland: The Trope Namer is here, and is the fifth level.
- Too Fast to Stop: The Air Balloon can be deflated to send Mickey rocketing in any direction, but it can also send you careening into pits and enemies if you aren't careful.
- Underground Level: Stage 1, the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction. Overlaps with Under the Sea.
- The Very Definitely Final Dungeon: Stage 6. Cinderella Castle.
- Water Guns and Balloons: Mickey's Water Balloon make really effective throwing weapons. Some of Pete's minions also carry squirt guns.