Lost Reavers is a free-to-play multiplayer co-op (up to four players can play) online game released exclusively for the Wii U. It has been developed and published by Bandai Namco Entertainment and released through the Nintendo eShop.
Gameplay pertains to choosing one of four playable characters - Sayuri, Dwayne, Victoria, or ShadowStalker - and embarking on missions together in order to retrieve treasures known as Relics and bringing them back to claim their rewards. Along the way to completing the mission, players will be faced with solving multi-room puzzles, defeating undead mooks, and giant bosses that stand in their way.
While released in Japan on December 2, 2015, it has recently been announced to be released internationally on April 28, 2016, with an open beta on April 14, 2016.
In March of 2019, Bandai Namco announced that online servers will be switched off on May 30th.
This video game provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Sayuri and Victoria
- Aerith and Bob: Among the four named characters, ShadowStalker particularly stands out.
- Airplane Arms: Victoria's running animation employs this.
- Back Tracking: After acquiring the Relic, the party has to sometimes go back to previous areas in order to find the way back to complete the mission. A subversion, as going back to one area usually leads the party to a different exit route from which they entered from.
- Combat Stilettos: Victoria's choice of footwear.
- Co-Op Multiplayer
- Dual Wielding: Sayuri, ShadowStalker, and Victoria do this, but with different weapons. Dwayne averts this by using two-armed weapons, but he makes up for it by being able to switch between his more numerous firearms.
- Excuse Plot: Play as a group of four characters to collect Relics from exotic places and come back safely! Why? To get better gear and do it all over again! Now off you go!
- Gender-Equal Ensemble: 2 Males (ShadowStalker and Dwayne) and 2 Females (Sayuri and Victoria). However, this can be subverted in-game in that all players can choose to be the same character (So having four Sayuri's in one session) or just choosing the characters of the same gender (All players are either Dwayne or ShadowStalker).
- Guns Akimbo: Victoria switches between two guns primarily, but can also employ kicks.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: Victoria's default costume gives off this vibe.
- Hollywood Hacking: Anytime a section requires someone to decipher/hack an area, any character can just stand in the highlighted circle and press a button in order to solve the obstacle in their way.
- MacGuffin: The Relics. After acquiring them, the next portion of the mission involves taking it back with you, turning into...
- MacGuffin Escort Mission: One character has to carry the Relic back with the party, but they are left vulnerable, so the other members of the group have to defend them from enemies as they escort him/her back to the beginning.
- Minidress of Power: Victoria's dress, though she can be customized to wear different outfits.
- Multiplayer Difficulty Spike: Although it's possible to beat the missions solo, due to enemies having the tendency to infinitely respawn in some sections of the missions (usually in areas that require someone to hack or unlock an obstacle in the way), this game definitely tries to encourage players to play with others.
- Panty Shot: Due to her lack of pants, Sayuri's default outfit employs this a lot.
- Put the "Laughter" in "Slaughter": ShadowStalker likes to let out a pretty hearty laugh while he's striking down enemies.
- Scarf of Asskicking: ShadowStalker's skull-decorated scarf.
- Scary Black Man: Dwayne.
- Sword and Gun: Sayuri employs this with a sword in one hand and a submachine gun in the other. As for ShadowStalker, it's an axe and a shotgun.
- Unnecessary Combat Roll: As a dodge mechanic in gameplay.
- Video Game Tutorial: Whoever you choose as your character, the player has to do a tutorial level that explains the controls and objectives of the game. You would also have to do the tutorial level again if you decide to play as a different character.
- We Cannot Go On Without You: Thankfully averted. If one player loses all their health, the mission still goes on and they can be revived by other players in the party. However, if all players get KO'd, then it's game over and the mission ends.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Sayuri's at least a Grade B.