The game revolves around memories, which shape the entire world. When someone or something is forgotten, the person, place, or thing fades from existence as if it had never been. When the hero, Kanata, learns he has the power to bring back forgotten things, he and his friends are tasked with restoring the lost world and stopping whatever causes things to disappear.
Like I Am Setsuna, the game features an ATB battle system similar to the older Final Fantasy titles.
This game contains examples of:
- Action Bomb: Some monsters attack mainly through blowing themselves up.
- And the Adventure Continues: Regardless of which ending you get, Kanata travels the world to restore everything that was forgotten.
- Astral Finale: The final boss fight takes place on the moon.
- Bittersweet Ending: Both endings are this, though one is decidedly more bitter. In one, Lumina sacrifices herself to save the world, leaving Kanata alone. In the other, Lumina doesn't sacrifice herself, but the moon will eventually collapse and destroy everyone.
- Doomed Hometown: Two for the price of one! The opening cutscene shows a king whose kingdom vanishes, and shortly after, Kanata's entire hometown vanishes.
- Fading Away: Once something is completely forgotten, it vanishes from existence. Kanata can somehow reverse these effects.
- Fetch Quest: Plenty of these are present during the game's latter half, when you backtrack to the once-explored areas.
- Last-Second Ending Choice: Which ending you get is dependent on your choice after you beat the final boss.
- Lunacy: The moon is said to have created the world, and plays an important role in the story as a whole. It's also the setting of the final boss fight and catalyst for the ending.
- Multiple Endings: Depending on the choice you make after the final boss, the ending changes.
- One-Hit Kill: Some of the late-game enemies possess such attacks, including the Final Boss.
- Samus Is a Girl: Commander Galdra turns out to be a woman.
- Traversible World Map: Played straight. It also features no Random Encounters.
- Your Days Are Numbered: The ending where Lumina lives ends with the knowledge that eventually everyone will be doomed when the moon collapses.