The job of all four players is to navigate a spaceship with four stations inside. These station control the spaceship's weapons, engine, shield, Yamato cannon, and map. The players must move between controlling all four stations to balance flying the ship, attacking enemies, and protecting it from danger. In the regular campaign, the players must move through levels to find and rescue a variety of creatures. The game's four worlds have four levels each and end with a boss fight.
This game provides examples of:
- Celestial Body: The bosses at the end of each world are constellations that come to life.
- Co-Op Multiplayer: While you can play with an AI buddy (a space-cat), this game was designed with co-op in mind.
- Deflector Shields: You can deploy such a shield, but it'll only cover a quarter of the hull at best, and so it has to be strategically rotated in order to meet the incoming attacks.
- Destructible Projectiles: The missiles fired by the enemies are easily destroyed by your energy weapons.
- Disneyfication: Anti-Love, because hate is the H-Word. Also an example of Call a Rabbit a "Smeerp".
- Eldritch Abomination: The Anti-Love forces, haetful beings who wish to destroy the Universe with The Power of Hate.
- Flash of Pain: The edges of the screen flash red if your ship gets damaged.
- Kill Enemies to Open: Sometimes, friends are are trapped on a planet and can only be rescued by destroying all the enemies on that planet.
- Level Goal: Rescue at least five friends in order to open the way to the next level.
- Outrun the Fireball: Sometimes after rescuing friends, a bomb appears and explodes which you have to escape from to avoid massive damage. Thankfully, the explosion is pretty slow.
- The Power of Love: What the universe is literally run with and what you have to use to combat the anti-love.
- Randomly Generated Levels: Each level is different every time you play it, even after dying.
- Spread Shot: One of the ship's cannons fires a spread of five shuriken-like projectiles.
- Unlockable Content: The more friends you rescue, the more points you gain which you can use to get new ships. You also unlock new friends upon completing a world.