Camp Sunshine is a Survival Horror game by Fossil Games.
A teenager named Jez has just been dropped off at a sleepaway camp, Camp Sunshine, but things go south very quickly when he wakes up in the middle of the night and finds his roommate dead. He runs out to find help but instead encounters the camp mascot, who tries to attack him with a knife. Barely managing to escape, Jez becomes determined to uncover the truth of the murders while also trying his best to stay alive.
The game is available on Steam here.
Camp Sunshine contains examples of:
- Action Survivor: Jez.
- Affectionate Parody: Of 1980s slasher flicks, specifically Friday the 13th (1980).
- Asshole Victim: Notably, the man that gives you the odd drink that teleports you to the Red Room.
- The Atoner: The purple man, aka Jacob, who locked Isaac away in the basement.
- Ax-Crazy: The Serial Slasher.
- Bears Are Bad News: The Slasher wears a giant bear suit.
- Bittersweet Ending: Technically. A lot of the counselors and campers are dead, but you've helped Isaac move on to the afterlife with his family, Jez gets out safely, and Jez's parents get back together.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: The girl whose heater you have to fix.
- Creepy Child: Isaac.
- Cult: The reason why Isaac becomes possessed.
- Death by Childbirth: Wendy. Though in a sense of Death by Despair from seeing deformed Isaac if the nurse's word is to be believed.
- Demonic Possession: Isaac, which is the real cause of his murderous spree.
- Divorce Is Temporary: Happens at the end of the game with Jez's parents.
- Driven to Suicide: Jacob, after having to kill Isaac to stop him and knowing it wasn't Isaac's fault it happened.
- Drop-In Nemesis: The slasher can teleport into rooms, sometimes right next to you if you're unlucky.
- Fetch Quest: The majority of the game is this, as you have to give the NPCs their desired item in order to receive the Diary Pages.
- Greater-Scope Villain: Atasaya, the demon responsible for Isaac's possession and mass murder.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Early in the game, one mortally wounded camper cares less about himself and more about a girl trapped deeper in the building. After she dies and you come back up, the killer surprises you and is about to kill you, before the camper draws his attention and dies so you can escape.
- Magical Native American: Chu'mana and the mysterious purple man later in the game. Chu'mana is heavily implied to have been the root of Isaac's possession. Subverted with the latter, however, as it's actually the ghost of Jacob.
- Point of No Return: Occurs when you follow the slasher into the hole in the basement to get Jez's mother back.
- Shout-Out: Quite a few, as it is a parody of 1980s horror flicks.
- The man who asks you to get his glasses will, once you get back to his room, give you a drink and offer to read the Diary Page to you while you drink it. Doing so causes you to be briefly teleported to a red room where a young Isaac appears, speaking in reverse.
- Not to mention the soundtrack is pure John Carpenter synthy goodness.
- When entering the Boiler Room, in a nearby rack you can see a sweater and a fedora. Obviously a reference to Freddy Krueger and his love for Boiler Rooms. Although the sweater's colors are in reverse.
- Skewed Priorities: The girl who makes you fix her heater cares more about being cold and her lodging conditions than the fact that there's a mass murderer on the loose who's already killed most of the camp.
- Spiritual Successor: The game has a lot in common with Ao Oni.
- Super-Persistent Predator: The slasher.
- Town with a Dark Secret: The camp was the site of a grizzly mass murder after the son of one of the counselors was possessed by an evil spirit.
- Tragic Villain: The Serial Slasher aka Isaac is this. His violent outbursts caused by Demonic Possession eventually forced Jacob to have to lock him away for everyone's safety. Said demon later fully possessed him and caused him to go on a murderous rampage at the campsite, and Jacob had to kill him to stop him.