- Actor Allusion:
- Walter is oddly concerned with the condition of people's feet and secretly a badass fighter. Makes sense since he's played by the former head of the Foot Clan.
- In the Japanese dub, the titular hero is voiced by Kenta Miyake, better know for anime fans for voicing another super hero dressed in blue (and other colors): All Might. He also voiced another super hero, Thor, in the Japanese dubs of the Marvel Cinematic Universe films.
- The Cast Showoff: The Terror plays the drums, just like his actor Jackie Earle Haley.
- Dueling Works: With two shockingly different takes on street-level Superheroes who follow The Hero's Journey and launching one week apart with similarly low episode counts, this and The Defenders (2017) have drawn inevitable comparisons in reviews. The Tick's main draw in comparison has been it's ability to keep a grounded, entertaining story without having to resort to a dark tone to keep audiences hooked, much like The Avengers did to The Dark Knight Trilogy before.
- Marth Debuted in "Smash Bros.": Curiously enough, the 2016 series will be the first time that any adaptation of the comic being dubbed to Japanese, as neither the 2001 miniseries nor the animated show were brought there before.
- Promoted Fanboy: Griffin Newman has stated in interviews that he has been a huge fan of 'The Tick', mostly of the 2001 series.
- Shout-Out: Behind Tinfoil Kevin's office, there's a sheet of metal with "The cake is a lie" scrawled on it.
- Playing Against Type: In the US, Peter Serafinowicz is primarily known as the asshole roommate Pete in Shaun of the Dead, the asshole Nova Corpsman Garthan Saal in Guardians of the Galaxy, and the voice of Darth Maul, all very British. Here, he's playing a flamboyant Big Good Cloud Cuckoolander.
- Remake Cameo:
- Townsend Coleman, the voice of the Tick from the animated series, voices Midnight, the talking dog sidekick.note
- Following the midpoint reveal for Season 2, Liz Vassey, who played Captain Liberty/Janet in The Tick (2001), provides the voice of Lobstercules.
- Role Reprisal: In the Latin American Spanish dub, Gerardo Reyero reprises the Tick from the 2001 series.
- The Wiki Rule: The Tick Wiki.
Trivia / The Tick (2016)