- Tohru mentions The Matrix in chapter 9. And during their roughhousing, Tohru and Kanna perform a Tailed Beast Ball and Kamehameha respectively.
- Kanna was watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in chapter 10.
- In chapter 11, Kobayashi compares Tohru's inability to live in one place for too long to a Legendary Pokémon.
- Tohru mentions having read Dragon Zakura in chapter 13.
- One of the cosplayers at Comiket is dressed like Crayon Shin-chan.
- Chapter 21 reveals Fafnir has played at least one of the Honoo no Toukyuuji Dodge Danpei games.
- There's a reference to the Japanese Twitter meme "they had lots of sex afterwards" (link to an SFW article on a NSFW site) at the end of chapter 35.
- In Chapter 37, the Kobayashi household watches Samurai Sentai Shinkenger (as evidenced by Tohru cheering for the Big Bad Dokoku Chimatsuri).
- Takiya mentions Ant-Man in the English translation of chapter 42 when suggesting that Tohru could cure Kobayashi's illness with a "Fantastic Voyage" Plot.
- In chapter 63, Ilulu does a happy version of the "Angry Dog Noise" face.
Kanna's Daily Life
- Saikawa imitates Raoh's famous scene.Saikawa: Not one ounce of regret in thy life!!!
- In chapter 11, Fafnir returned a copy of Nier that he borrowed from Kobayashi.
- In "Magical Girl Time", Fafnir is shown watching "Prepure Alala Mode".
- The river seen in the opening credits looks remarkably like the very polluted river in the opening of the first episode of the OVA of Bubblegum Crisis. Its a lot cleaner looking in Dragon Maid though.
- In episode 2, Tohru is shown holding a copy of Tsuru no Ongaeshi, which is a story about a crane that takes on a human form to serve an elderly couple after they save her life. She even tells Kobayashi not to come into the kitchen while she makes dinner as a reference to the fact that the crane told the couple to never enter her room as she made cloth for them to sell.
- In the dub, Kobayashi quips this after flicking treats for Kanna...Kobayashi: How to tame your dragon!
- Also in the dub...Tohru: Fafnir does have a slight dislike for humans. We're talking about an ancient cursed dragon that has been guarding his treasure in a cave for, like, ever.Kobayashi: You mean "hobbit style"?
- Again in the dub, after Kobayashi explains the concept of "magic tricks"...Tohru: I've heard of this before. There's a should-be-forgettable movie that talks about it. About how humans only use approximately 10% of their brain capacity.
- One more little gem from the dub—a totally wasted software engineer blunders into a huge dragon's snout in the gloom...Kobayashi (after picking herself up): "You shall not pass!"
- Fafnir and Makoto are seen playing a Dark Souls expy during the party in Episode 3. At the end of the episode, Kanna plays something that bears a suspicious resemblance to Mario Kart.
- In episode 6, Kanna plays the suspiciously Mario Kart-like game at Saikawa's house, and Fafnir and Makoto decide who gets to wash the dishes by playing the Spy vs. Spy video game.
- In episode 9, when Shouta reveals what was written on his slip during the scavenger hunt portion of the sports festival, a coin grabbing sound effect from the Super Mario Bros. series plays.
- In Episode 11, when once again Tohru is trying to get Kobiyashi to eat her tail meat, she says in a Green Eggs and Ham-style, "Could you? Would you for the new year?" to which Kobiashi replies, "I could not. Would not."
- During the "Miss Kobayashi's RPG Dragon" segment in the fourth DVD special, Tohru, Elma, Fafnir and Makoto take part in a Final Fantasy I battle.