Rubicon was a conspiracy drama on AMC starring James Badge Dale and Miranda Richardson. James Badge Dale is Will Travers, a twitchy, bushy-haired intelligence analyst at a private think tank called the American Policy Institute (API) who finds himself in the middle of the conspiracy. Miranda Richardson co-stars as Katherine Rhumor, a recent widow whose late-husband's (one of the Powerful White Men) sudden suicide draws her into the mystery as well.
While the overall arc focuses on the conspiracy, individual episodes focus on day to day intelligence work of Will Travers' team and the strain it puts on them. His team, Grant, Miles, and Tanya, work to predict and prevent terrorist attacks in the US and elsewhere. The shows draws heavily on the audience of the AMC show that comes on after it.
The show was canceled after one season.
This show provides examples of:
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Nearly everyone. David was obsessed with superstitions and numerology; Miles is a Conspiracy Theorist with few social skills; Tanya is The Alcoholic; even Will is kind of strange and is only normal in comparison to everyone else.
- Chekhov's Gun: in this case, it is literally a gun.
- The Conspiracy
- Crusading Widow
- He Knows Too Much: Will and Katherine; Will's ex-boss David Hadas (in the past tense.)
- I Was Never Here: Kale to Will, frequently.
- Jack Bauer Interrogation Technique: episode 1x08, much to Miles and Tanya's discomfort.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Andy, kinda.
- The Men in Black: are constantly following Will.
- Must Have Nicotine: Many of the characters, especially Miles, and it affects his ability to take a lie detector test.
- Nerds Are Sexy: Will, obviously, but most of the other analysts at API qualify as well (especially Tanya.)
- Oh, Crap!: Everyone's faces when they see the news report about the oil tanker explosion in the penultimate episode of season one.
- Public Secret Message: A secret society publishes messages encrypted in crossword puzzles in newspapers.
- Red Herring: Yeah, you thought the big disaster would happen in St. Louis and/or on Katherine's anniversary, too. Pretty sneaky, sis.
- Right Behind Me: Played hilariously in 1.10 with Miles sitting on the table and sarcastically suggesting that Kateb is in fact Santa Claus...not realizing that Spangler has entered behind him.
- Sexy Secretary: Maggie, Will's secretary who is also spying on him for Kale.
- James Wheeler, former friend of David Hadas, is paying his secretary extra for sex at 3p.m. every day.
- Shout-Out: There's an framed Invisibles cover in Miles' office and Julia (an API Urdu translator) has a Triforce tattoo.
- Straight Gay: Kale.