Max Asher (Jonny Gray) is a teenage snowboarder who is staying with the Ackermans, who live in the mountains, for extra training. Max shares a room with Alvin (Jake Goodman), who Max has nicknamed "Shred", a very smart teen who is completely opposite in personality and interests to Max. Alvin is helped in his scientific endeavors by Howie (Saara Chaudry), a younger girl who lives next to them. He also has an older sister named Abby (Emilia McCarthy), who is charity-driven and always wants to help people, and two parents who do not understand Alvin's scientific mind.
Tropes in this series:
- Alliterative Family: Alvin and Abby Ackerman.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Alvin has been this to Abby, especially on her ninth birthday.
- Canada Does Not Exist: Until the first season finale, it was very unclear whether Blizzard Springs, the town the show takes place in, was is in Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, California, somewhere in the Northeast like Vermont, or even in Canada (where the show is filmed and produced). The only hint given so far is in said season finale, where it took a number of hours to drive down to Arizona (but still leaves a number of the aforementioned states as possibilities).
- Drop-In Character: Howie rarely knocks and Alvin even has a button that automatically opens his bedroom window, which Howie uses frequently.
- Egg Sitting: In The Half-Cab Robot Baby Bonk", the title pair must take care of a baby simulator.
- Expy: This is basically Drake & Josh without the annoying younger sister or the main characters being step-brothers.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Most of the episodes are references to skating/biking/boarding/skiing tricks or to snow and the cold.
- Kids Shouldn't Watch Horror Films: Ultimately subverted with Howie, but not until after she milked as much guilt out of Abby and her mother.
- Mean Boss: Kaylee .
- The Nicknamer: Max nicknamed both Alvin as "Shred" and Howie as "Brosephine".
- Noodle Incident: How could Abby lose a child in a ball pit for so long that she had to call the police?
- Odd Friendship: Alvin "Shred" and Max.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Howie's name is actually Jill, but nicknamed Howie when a younger Howie kept asking Alvin "How?"
- Spiritual Successor: To Drake & Josh.
- Swapped Roles: In "he Switch Jolly Mambo Varial", Alvin and Abby both think each other's lives are easy, so they switch their responsibilities for a day.
- Teen Genius: Alvin. Howie is more of a Child Prodigy.