Zeon Quest is a Mobile Suit Gundam re-imagining of the One Year War in the form of a text adventure, created and DM'ed by "I Apologized on 4chan" (Or Apologized for short) on the /tg/ board of 4chan, much like its spiritual predecessor Ruby Quest.
Most of the quest is centered around Zeon Ace David Lister (No relation to a certain smeghead) and his unit of equally skilled Zeonic pilots. Lister starts as a simple grunt in the Zeonic invasion of Earth, before rising to become a major figure in the war, changing many events in the UC timeline.
The quest concluded on August 13th, 2011. A full archive of the quest, with only a few missing entries, can be found here.
This Quest provides examples of:
- Ace Custom:
- Davids Nacht Zaku- an upgraded Act Zaku mounting a gouf custom heat rod in one arm, a small beam gun in the other and hidden blades in the feet, as well as additional armor and thrusters and a better power plant. The original EL MUERTO GIGANTE counts also.
- Zolomon also has a number of customized units, mainly adding mounting points for twin heat hawks and other throwable weapons, culminating in the Gyan Eisvogel, a terrifying monstrosity with a pair of forearm mounted beam sabers, a Gundam hammer, and a whole rack of beam javelins.
- Alternate Continuity: The goal was to create one, and it finally happened when Garma's death was prevented.
- Badass Normal: Bernard Wiseman has no Newtype powers, and he only uses a grunt unit. He's come closer to killing Amuro than even Char has. Bernie has also managed to successfully hijack the Gundam Alex and finish off the Midnight Pixy Death Squad.
- Beethoven Was an Alien Spy: Archimedes was a newtype whose spirit now inhabits the Solar Ray.
- BFG: Gundam Units 04 and 05, one focusing on a single Wave Motion Gun, the other choosing More Dakka.
- Bilingual Bonus:
- Nachtmaren - Night Horses
- Also, EL MUERTO GIGANTE!
- Cluster F-Bomb: David apparently is fond of this trope when drunk."FUCKING REVENGE YOU MOTHERFUCKER."
- Even the Guys Want Him: Garma. Or more specifically, Garma's hair.
- The Federation: The antagonists this time around, and the primary enemy until Ghiren ruins everything.
- Famous Last Words:
- "MOTHERFUCKERS! I JUST BOUGHT A BOOOOOOAAAAAAAAT!!!!!"(From the Christmas Special, by Wolfgang Strauss's former superior, Sargeant Khenni)
- Heroic Sacrifice: Lister almost has to do this to save Von Braun. Hovis later does the real thing to save Calvin.
- Improbable Piloting Skills: Lister didn't know he had a targeting computer. He was kicking too much ass without it.
- It's Personal: Lister gives a speech quite like this after Hovis is killed.
- Let's Fight Like Gentlemen: Wyatt, the One-Armed Bandit, more often then not fights his rival Lister mano-e-mano.
- Mind Rape: Being a Newtype against the EXAM System is like being a Japanese schoolgirl in the octopus tank.
- Nuclear Option: As much as the Antarctica Treaty prohibits it, this seems to be the Nachtmaren unofficial answer to everything. GODDAMMIT GHIREN WHO WOULD EVEN GIVE YOU ACCESS TO THESE THINGS IN THE FIRST PLACE
- Oh, Crap!: Pretty much everyone's reaction to seeing a Gundam. Also, realizing that destroying half of Jaburo caused the Federation to begin mass production of Trojan Horses.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Elaine's home colony did not allow women to enlist in the army, so she dons a fake mustache(of dubious quality) and enlists as a man. Although she managed to have her identity go unquestioned through sheer luck, when being interviewed for recruitment by Natcherman, David saw through it immediately.
- Putting on the Reich: Ghiren and anyone remotely associated with him. Apologized seems to treat the rest of Zeon more like WWI Germany.
- Red Baron: In addition to the well-known Red Comet and White Devil, we have EL MUERTO GIGANTE, and the One-Armed Bandit.
- Lister also tests a number of different high-end prototypes, although some of these are less powerful than their mass-produced versions.
- Tank Goodness: Lister has killed so many tanks that it is physically impossible for Apologized to count them all.
- The Rival: Bandit. The Midnight Pixy Death Squad was intended to be this to Nachtmaren, but failed miserably. Then they got the EXAM system...
- Throwing Your Sword Always Works: Throwing your axe always works. If you're Zolomon Ringo, that is. Except when it doesn't.
- Warrior Heaven:
- Zolomon's fate after his death: to fight eternally alongside Super Robot greats. Implied to be Lister's eventual fate as well.
- Within that place exist those men who would fight and win against those impossible odds. Betwixt cataclysmic vista's stretches the impossibly huge arm of a giant humanoid machine, beams of green light the width of the moon stretch out from it's forehead and engulf whole species leaving naught but ruin. To the left a woman the height of jupiter clutches a quantum singularity to her breast and in her shadow fights with reckless abandon a machine powered by unshakable faith in it's victory strikes with a weapon that drills a gouge in the belly of the God of Nucleonic Fusion sending spiraling protogalaxies spilling forth like blood from it's wound. The god of clay sings the song that ends and begins all things and the beast with a single horn howls in rage as it consumes god. In the middle of the maelstrom of battle a shining star is found, that shining star clarifies into a figure. The figure is a knight, it's armor is resplendent, it carries a beam lance in one hand and shield in the other. It zigs and zags through a spray of acid issued forth from winged ant the size of a small moon. Each globule of acid the size of large asteroids. The figure closes, and swings it's lance, but now it is an axe of light, easily hundreds upon hundreds of miles long and wide, in a flash the creatures is split lengthways and the tiny spark of light continues on it's way. Afore it lies the god of the foul sign, a shifting symbol of manifest madness. The Knight raises his now lance again, and hurls it at God. And god dies. And then, in a thousand voices that speak as one, the voice of a thousand men call out to you. "We'll be waiting for you... Nachtmaren 1."