You Won A Mansion is a roleplay/forum game on the MSPA Forums by Latewave. The main plot is that the main characters have won a mansion through the completion of a simple, unassuming questionnaire. What follows for the new masters, is a strange path filled with magic, artifacts, and related dangers, to say the least. An archive of the adventure can be found here.
A sequel to You Won A Mansion has been created, this time on the Questionable Questing Forums. This sequel, You Won A Town, is similar in that it is structured similarly to the first game. Through the completion of a questionnaire, five (questionably) normal people have won a rather run down town. Their goal? Fix it up and restore it to its former glory. The adventure can be found here.
You Won A Mansion contains the following tropes:
- Ancient Artifact: Given to the new masters at the beginning of the game by the butler, these are items with special abilities and serve as the main weapon for each character throughout the adventure.
- Animate Inanimate Object: The kitchen utensils were originally like this before they were fixed. Masters also has a sword familiar called 'William' who floats and talks.
- Another Dimension: Alternate worlds created by gods and other powerful entities for their own use, usually called 'otherside's. Notable examples are The Drowning Grounds at the lake, the Forest of Mists that held the first red tree taken down by the masters, The Labyrinth or Maze of Horrors, the domain the the Executioner, and the old west town in the PD, populated by Legion and his army.
- Artifact of Doom: The Crimson Nail obtained by Elrich in the Bayou. It was used to crucify the Lord Of The Red Trees. There are said to be three or four total.
- Artificial Limbs: Kiven gets one from Miss Masters after his arm was broken in the fight with Galgorgin.
- Cards of Power: Crowley has these types of cards, which let him cast spells assigned to them for free. He can also assign spell combos to blank cards.
- Elemental Powers: Each of the masters have a sort of associated element. Nick is Lightning, Crowley's main is Fire, Kiven is Wind, Masters is Chaos, and Jason is Star.
- Enemy Scan: Crowley has the Scan spell, telling him things about the enemy, such as weakness, name, and usually a quick description. After absorbing Legion into his book, Crowley also gets humorous notes about the enemy from him.
- Flight: All the masters have the ability of flight, Kiven being the earliest to get it. Nick flies through the use of wings he gets from his runes, Crowley through the use of a spell, Masters just learned the move, and Kiven rides the winds.
- Gender Bender: Due to a mishap with the enchanting room in the beginning, Sir Blade of Masters became Miss Masters. She was then turned back again by Dimension.
- Hive Mind: After going through the portal in the police station, the group discovers an 'old western town' filled with zombies. These zombies are controlled by an entity known as 'Legion' who can posses any of these bodies, one at a time.
- Hyperspace Arsenal: Everyone was given a warp bag at the beginning, a bag that can store anything small enough to fit in it. All the bags are connected to one another, so an item can go in one bag and come out another.
- Intellectual Animal: Lance, a hell hound companion to Nick, cleaned out a Casino built by the Greeds in the Abandoned Mall.
- Killer Yoyo: Kiven's starting artifact, it became more deadly with the addition of the Chainsaw and Wrecking Ball mods.
- Lethal Chef: Crowley. His food has been known to kill animals and small beings who have eaten it. Of all the Masters, only Kiven and himself have been fine with eating it. His most notable creation, the stew, has been weaponized by Nick and Kiven in the training room.
- Limit Break: The masters get limit breaks for doing actions related to the use of that limit break and at certain points in the story.
- Physical God: The Butler and Maid, the ones who sent out the flyer, are Chronus and Chaos, respectively. In addition, Nick and Crowley have both met Hades, or Death.
- Pyro Maniac: This is Crowley, on occasion. Usually at stressful or anger filled moments, he sometimes gets the urge to burn things. And he does.
- Summon Magic: Each of the masters/town owners has a spell called 'Minion Summon.' In Town, each town owner has a total of five minions.
- Spell Book: Crowley's artifact is one, called the Tome of the Devouring God because upon defeating a substantial enemy, the book can 'absorb' their body and gain powers based on their abilities. Devouring God indeed.
- Swamps Are Evil: The Bayou. Played straight in that the swamp and everything in it were evil, but averted with the fact that it was only due to the meddling of Kaysen and his Krew.
- Thinking Up Portals: Miss Masters' starting artifact, a mop, can create portals that have been used occasionally.
- What Does This Button Do??: Miss Masters/Elrich tends to use artifacts before they can be determined safe.