A list of references, shout-outs, homages, parodies, spoofs... to Iggy Pop.
- Trainspotting: Renton listens to Iggy Pop a lot, and his songs are referenced throughout the novel.
- Trainspotting: As in the novel, Renton is a huge Iggy Pop fan. The film starts off with the characters running away after having robbed a department store to the tune of "Lust for Life". During the scene where Renton is listening to Sick Boy going on about Sean Connery, "Nightclubbing" is playing. The soundtrack also features "The Passenger".
- The Lord of the Rings: His lanky physique was a major reference point for the animation of Gollum, mostly notably in creating skin tone subtleties.
- Johnny Depp cited him as a parital basis for his role in Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
- The kick drum sound of "Nightclubbing" from The Idiot was sampled for the song "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails from their album The Downward Spiral and duplicated by Oasis for the song "Force of Nature" from their album Heathen Chemistry (2002). The song itself was also covered by Grace Jones as the title track to her album Nightclubbing (1982).
- The title track of Trans-Europe Express by Kraftwerk provides a shout-out to Bowie and Iggy Pop while they were recording The Idiot in Berlin.
- Dum Dum Girls have said their name was inspired both by the Iggy Pop song "Dum Dum Boys" from The Idiot and the Vaselines song and album Dum Dum.
- David Bowie referenced "The Passenger" from Lust for Life in his song "The Stars (Are Coming Out Tonight)" from The Next Day (2013). Also, "Jean Genie" is said to be about him.
- The song "Some Weird Sin" from Lust for Life, as well as "Down on the Street" and "Shake Appeal" by his band The Stooges, is alluded to in Spoon's song "The Way We Get By" from their Kill the Moonlight LP (2002).
- Iggy Koopa from Super Mario Bros.. is a homage to this singer's name.
- The unique perks for the "Anarchist" perk deck in PAYDAY 2 are all named after punk songs, with the final one being named "Lust for Life".
- The Simpsons: "Lust for Life" was featured in the episode "The Regina Monologues" in a parody of the opening scene from Trainspotting.
- "Lust for Life" also appeared in a Daria episode.
- Iggy is referenced as a character in The Venture Bros., along with David Bowie and Klaus Nomi.