Bart has to deal with his guilt after he betrays Lisa. Meanwhile, Homer begins playing chess, and everyone in Springfield becomes impressed by his talents.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Bart's guilt appears as a trollish version of himself. We also see Lisa's guilt, as well as several personifications of Homer's emotions.
- Art Shift: The Couch Gag, once again produced by Stoopid Buddy Studios, mixes this up with both Medium Blending and Crossover as a 2D-animated Homer tries to get back the ship painting from The Nerd.
- The Atoner: Bart feels so bad for throwing away Lisa's new hat he goes to the junk yard to recover it.
- Brick Joke: Homer has trouble at the Krusty Burger drive-thru and ends up ordering too much. Later, when Lisa looks for her hat, the car is filled with burger wrappers.
- Cast as a Mask: Averted when Itchy disguises as Garfield; as a result, "Garfield" has a voice similar to Homer (due to Dan Castellaneta, Homer's voice actor, also voicing Itchy.)
- Continuity Nod: The store where Lisa buys her new hat has several "Bort" license plates.
- From the Mouths of Babes: Homer says this word for word when coming across four winter-clad kids cussing up a storm in the opening.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The California Raisins fire scene parodies the famous Face Melting scene from the movie "Raiders of the Lost Ark".
- Drive-Thru Antics: Homer tries to order five meals at the Krusty Burger drive thru, but the attendant keeps getting the math wrong. Leads to a Brick Joke later on, when Lisa looks for her missing hat and the car is stuffed with hundreds of discarded wrappers, including the trunk.
- Full-Body Disguise / Latex Perfection: The Itchy and Scratchy cartoon "The Garfield Assassination" has Itchy disguise as Garfield this way.
- I'm Melting!: One of the claymation raisins in the intro dies like this when their set catches fire.
- Psychic Nosebleed: Rod and Todd are able to levitate the crushed car by praying, after which they get nosebleeds.
- Shout-Out: The title is based on The Cat in the Hat.
- Sore Loser: Homer's Dad refused to play chess with him again because Homer defeated him once.
- Take That!: To the California Raisins in the opening."We're in the cookies you hate to eat. An unpleasant surprise when you trick or treat."