A group of Ferengi board Enterprise with the intent to rob it, and the only one who can stop them is Trip...in his underwear.
- Badass Bandolier: One of the Ferengi wears crossed bandoliers. Given his species, he needs all the help looking badass that he can get.
- Bald of Evil: The opening shot is of the camera moving over the top of a Ferengi's head to reveal their target: Enterprise!
- Big "SHUT UP!": When Krem is the only Ferengi not shackled to the bulkheads.Ulis: Let me go, you idiot!
Krem: SHUT UP!
- Blood from the Mouth: Used non-fatally. Archer is bleeding in the mouth after being punched in the face during his interrogation.
- Bond One-Liner: After Trip and T'Pol stun the Ferengi in the "vault".Trip: Sorry, fellas...bank must be closed today.
- Cassandra Truth: The Ferengi are convinced that Enterprise has a vault of valuable goodies, and refuse to believe Archer when he tries to convince them otherwise (even giving him a phaser rifle to the face).
- Continuity Nod:
- The Ferengi never mention the name of their species.
- "Do I look like a Menk to you?"
- Die Hard on Enterprise: For the first, but certainly not the last, time.
- Distracted by the Sexy: T'Pol starts giving one of the Ferengi oo'mox to make him pliable—and neck-pinches him out.
- Grew a Spine: Krem starts standing up to Ulis and refuses to do any more manual labor. Subverted, though, when Ulis yells at him to get back to work, and he does.Archer: You...sure showed him.
- Groin Attack: Of a sort. This episode establishes how sensitive a Ferengi's ears are as an erogenous zone early on, so when Trip bites a Ferengi on the ear later on it spiritually amounts to this.
- Guile Hero: Archer and T'Pol take advantage of the Ferengi's greed to play them against each other while Trip sets a trap for them.
- Kick the Dog: One of the Ferengi stuffs Porthos into a cargo container.
- Lured into a Trap: Trip lures the Ferengi into a room that they think is the secret vault—where T'Pol stuns them.
- Mr. Fanservice: Trip spends half the episode in his undies.
- No OSHA Compliance:
- The entire crew is knocked out by an alien artifact (actually something the Ferengi planted) which released a gas throughout the ship. Rather than examine it in a contained area, it was opened in the middle of engineering.
- For a room that's supposed to contain the crew and screen any potential hazards, Trip is able to escape decon from the inside pretty easily.
- To be fair, it's not the brig, just a containment area, and this is the chief engineer we're talking about.
- Obfuscating Disability: At one point, Archer pretends to be suffering from an old water polo injury.
- Reset Button: In order to protect the canon first contact with the Enterprise-D, the Ferengi never identify themselves and promise to stay as far away from Earth or Vulcan ships as possible.
- They Just Don't Get It: The Ferengi are not able to comprehend that United Earth is a post scarcity society. When Arher tells Krem that the way of life that the Ferengi hold religiously almost destroyed Earth, Krem, totally baffled tells him his people should have managed their businesses better.
- Translation by Volume: Played for Laughs when the Ferengi reach Archer's quarters and...Ferengi: Where is the vault? Do you understand me?
Ferengi: I can't lock onto its language.
- Translation Convention: Averted; the Ferengi are introduced speaking their own language.
- Troll: Archer talks up how awful T'Pol is to stop the Ferengi taking off with her. In payback, T'Pol refuses to release Archer until he apologises.Archer: Open these [handcuffs], Subcommander. That's an Order!.
- Whip It Good: The Ferengi energy whip is back.