Film watched: The Hellcats
It is available on Shout! Factory TV here.
- The SOL crew have all caught colds. Nobody is particularly happy.
Segment 1/Invention Exchange
- The Mads haven't invented anything (they're still riding the Hobby Hogs from Wild Rebels), but Joel has invented a universal sign language translator device that you speak into.
- Tom types in his diary about the rubber hand segment from The Crawling Hand.
- Crow reminisces to a tape recorder about the funny/unfunny-when-floating segment from Rocketship X-M.
- Joel writes in his diary about the camera matte sketch from Jungle Goddess.
- The SOL crew bond over learning that they all keep diaries, even if the 'Bots are reluctant to say so. Even the Mads share a tender moment thanks to witnessing their familial relationship.
The MST3K treatment provides examples of:
- Actually Pretty Funny: Crow's "Hey, Bill, your rear's done" gets approval from Joel and Servo.
- Big "NO!": The Mads' reaction when Joel guesses they're watching a biker movie. Nobody's really sure why, though.
- Call-Back: Constant references to Ross Hagen's previous appearance in The Sidehackers
- Continuity Nod: Servo says his flashback from Season 1 was before his voice changed.
- Ditzy Genius: Gypsy takes her turn writing her diary in the last segment, dictating a letter to Richard Basehart by talking into a typewriter, and has her usual Verbal Tic of repeating the last thing anyone says in a singsong voice ("...Dia-ryyy..." "...Pa-perrrr..."). She also immediately twigs to Joel's reference to Friedrich Nietzsche and the latter's concept of Eternal Recurrence:Gypsy: Also sprach Zarathu-straaaa...
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Twice in the movie are scenes of the bikers suggestively spraying shaken beer all over themselves and other partiers. Crow remarks, "I hope that's beer..."
- Flashback Cut: All three host segments, shown as Joel and the 'Bots writing in their diary. The Colossal Episode Guide said this was done to save on scripting time, but ironically they took just as long as a normal episode to write.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: When a guy sprays beer all over the place, Crow says, "I hope that's beer..."
- I Just Want to Be Loved: TV's Frank melts (down) over Joel and the 'Bots heartwarming group hug at the end of the episode:Frank: Why can't we know love the way they know love?!
- Incredibly Lame Pun:Servo: "Scab"? How do you suppose they picked him?!
- It Was a Dark and Stormy Night: Tom writing in his diary.
- Mr. Exposition: The two detectives from the funeral who awkwardly lay out the plot, dubbed Sgt. Exposition and Det. Plotpoint by Joel.
- Mondegreen: The slurring of several cast members' lines makes them ripe for reinterpretation.Joel: Tractor mortars?!Servo: Pottery wheel?
- Noodle Incident: And a healthy dollop of Ho Yay on Joel's part, too.Crow: Did I ever tell you about the time Joel had be dressed as Judy Garland and had me sing show tunes to him all night? I have a lot of pain.
- Rhymes on a DimeServo: Hi! I'm Shelley. Hehe. Rub my belly! Hehehe!
- Running Gag
- Ship Tease: Tom briefly tries to hit on a fire hydrant in the film.